Profile Picture

312 Interceptor F.E.D. questions regarding transmission options.

Posted By babor 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

312 Interceptor F.E.D. questions regarding transmission options.

Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
That's awesome! I am going to run naturally aspirated with the possibility of a small injection of Nitromethane to spice things up a bit. I would like to supercharge it one day when I have more cash to spend. For now I just hope the transmission and engine work together well. Hopefully it blows the tires off halfway down the track and doesn't just kill the engine...lol! I also have an old truck 4 speed on the back burner. I am going to try the in and out box first though just for the nostalgia factor. Just doing this for me and it will be more of an attraction than a competitive car. I just can't wait to fire it up with the zoomies!!!

Hollow Head
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
In 2008 we ran with single turbo, 0.7 bar pressure, stock truck rods and stock cast pistons and we had 330 hp @ 4900 rpm and 630 Nm @ 2600 rpm.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFwrPj8SnU 
In 2012 with two turbos and 0.7 bar of boost 480 hp @ 6000rpm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YISuB4PoSYk
At the same day we tried 1.0 bar of boost and it took us to 520 hp and well over 800 Nm of torque. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmxE-sQ0E-s 
We run 8.723 with that set up.( Well, we put the boost up and blew one head gasket too).
In 2013 we just banged our heads to wall with no new records https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8pisGKR6Fc
Now we run with same turbos but 1.9 bar of boost, a lot bigger injectors and different ignition maps. This combination is not dynoed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WkJ9YWij8
But it went 8.644 and it is still in one piece.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3fd9a79-e7c3-47ff-a648-8cd5.jpg Seppo from Järvenpää, Finland
www.hollowheads.net (just click the hole in the head to proceed)
babor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)Supercharged (167 reputation)

Hollow Head, What are your power numbers (if you don't mind my asking)???
babor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

OK, so I thought about this during dinner and had to dig out my book of equations. With a 28" tire, a 5.14:1 gear and a 1:1 box at 6500 rpm it would be at 105 mph. This would be about perfect according to the power to weight ratio of a F.E.D. which should be about 1,300-1,500 pounds. I think this could work as long as the box holds up. I think the weak point in this system would be the clutch pack in the Warner Gear Velvet Drive. I have yet to have it apart to see how the stackup in the drum is. The other thing I have to check is the ratio for reverse because they say the box is reversible simply by setting the pump up for the standard rotation but I am not sure if this will change the ratio and directions of forward and reverse in regards to the manual lever and linkage.
babor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

1:1 ratio. I was going to run about a 514 gear with about a 28"x10" rear tire. I figured it'd blow em off for the first 20' or so...lol. Do you think it would work???

RB
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Do you know the ratios of the velvet drive?  Does it have a fluid coupling ?  Without a torque converter that thing will be impossible to launch without some super deep gearing
babor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Not concerned as much with the speed of it as much as just having fun with it. This one is a 9:1 compression 215hp Interceptor marine engine that will have some nice head work and an Isky 290/108/.508" cam. Not sure on the trans yet. Still thinking about the Borg Warner marine transmission, but I have a guy at work that has a 292 truck engine and trans. 4 speed toploader. I am thinking the in and out box with no clutch would be a bad idea...lol. May grab the toploader and modify it to be a 2 speed. Don't know yet. The Velvet Drive in and out box has a hydraulic shifting mechanism and the planetary is always on, so it may launch great though. If it blew anything I think it would be the clutches eventually. This thing will likely see more car shows and make noise than it will see of track duty in all reality.
Hollow Head
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Trust me, 292 or even 312 hp don't bring you low tens at quarter mile. Our altered weights about 2100 pounds with driver and his gear and it went 11.87 at 1/4 mile without turbos. Ok, it has under 9 figure compression, but still...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3fd9a79-e7c3-47ff-a648-8cd5.jpg Seppo from Järvenpää, Finland
www.hollowheads.net (just click the hole in the head to proceed)
babor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I talked to my machinist last night and told him what I was building. He said that 1 hp per 1 cubic inch should be easily attained. I afterward did some math and figured out that in a 1500 pound rail the hp/weight ration is the same as our old 56 Bel-Air that ran low 10s on gas with no electronics or tricks. This is PLENTY fast for me. Now I just have to figure out a few things. I am still in the air about whether to build a rail or an altered. Also trying to figure out what would be a cost effective and safe front axle, but that is another thread...

Larry Short
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I'm running gas, I was thinking about running Alky but all my other cars use Racing Fuel and it's a lot easier to have one fuel. The block is filled part way up as are all my engines. I've never had a heating problem with any of them even with limited street use. Even though the engine is to race spec. the dragster is more for show and a few passes down the 1/4 mile.

Larry Short 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter