Profile Picture

Help selecting a carburetor for stock 292 Y block

Posted By Babyboomerboy 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I have been reading a lot of the post on this site as well as a couple others sites and from what I have read a 500 CFM carburetor is about the maximum size carburetor you should use on a stock 292 ford Y block motor. However a lot of people have recommended the Edelbrock 1405 which is a 600 CFM and good right out of the box. Help, I am ready to get a new carburetor and need to know what would be best on my cheap budget and stock 292 motor. Thanks
charliemccraney
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 minutes ago
Refer to this recent  thread for insight.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic103297.aspx

Lawrenceville, GA
Chuck
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Are you trying to get a few more ponies out of the mill, or are you just looking for a fresh carb?  If it's the latter, a 350 CFM 2 bbl Holley works just fine.  
Outlaw56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I checked with Lokar and thier AOD TV Cable adapts to holley and edelbrock. The equalizer arm has two holes in it, one for holley and the other for edelbrock. In my case, they said thier cable kit would bolt right up to any edelbrock thunder series carb.

Darrell Howard Whitefish, MT Outlaw 56 Ford F-100's
Babyboomerboy
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)

Chuck (11/6/2014)
Are you trying to get a few more ponies out of the mill, or are you just looking for a fresh carb?  If it's the latter, a 350 CFM 2 bbl Holley works just fine.  

Thank you for your reply. I should have added more information in my post. I have a 56 Ford Fairlane with a 292 stock engine with a 4 barrel and teapot carb. I am changing the manifold to be able to upgrade the carburetor and get rid of the teapot. I have been reading a lot of posts about which carb is best and have gotten many different opinions about the size of carb I should use. I don't plan to hop up the motor, just get a reliable carburetor that doesn't break my small bank account. Thanks again

miker
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
If you're still running the stock dizzy, don't forget to budget a 57 or later one. The dual advances won't work with a new carb. Plenty of info on that here.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Babyboomerboy
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

miker (11/6/2014)
If you're still running the stock dizzy, don't forget to budget a 57 or later one. The dual advances won't work with a new carb. Plenty of info on that here.

Thanks Mike for the reply. I have ordered a Cardone Industries 30-2808 Remanufactured Distributor to go with the manifold and carburetor change.

Y block Billy
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
The summit Ford style carb I have used along with Mummert and Ted and all have had great results out of the box, the edelbrocks just don't look right on a ford IMHO.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

56_Fairlane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You might need to change your air cleaner too. My stock oil bath air cleaner did not fit on my Autolite 4100. I luckily found a nicely refinished 58 / 59 Edsel air cleaner that was a perfect fit for $65. All I have to do is paint it the correct silver and it will look like it almost belongs there.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
bayboy
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
tried a holly 600cfm on a 312, over fueled badly went down to a 450 cfm holly 4 barrel and it works really great,  its on a stock engine 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter