Profile Picture

Help selecting a carburetor for stock 292 Y block

Posted By Babyboomerboy 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
all is fine with the engine no it runs on all 8  but with the holly 600 4 barrel it wouldn,t  idel and black soot coming out the tail pipes made my snap on red tool box black in ten min.
Chuck
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)Supercharged (90 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Irrespective of what carburetor you choose, do make sure the secondaries are vacuum actuated. That way, the vacuum signal will remain consistent for good metering. A mechanical secondary setup can see a significant drop vacuum signal, and the A/F ratio is erratic when this happens.

You can go as small as a Holley 390 4bbl with good results. The teapot was rated at 370 CFM, if I recall correctly, so the 390 is the closest flow match. If you go with side-hung float bowls, it will look very much like the OEM 2bbl carbs used by Ford in '59. I've run 390's on engines as small as the 2.3 liter Pinto motor, and as large as the 327 AMC V-8 with good results. You will need a different air cleaner and distributor - but it looks like you're on that.
bayboy
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)

all was working fine on the 600 cfm holly  it was new out of the box put on my gmc 454 and it ran fine  and it was firing on all 8 as well just like the 312 y  blk
Y block Billy
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
The holley 600 that were installed on trucks and were originally governed were very fat on the fuel, I tried a setup on my vicky once with the matcing distributor and it would smoke the tires so easily off line but cut out at 3800 rpm, governed setup and it was jetted real fat, gas would pour out the exhaust. Got to have the right carb and right jets!

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

Campsite
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)

Good evening; Just to add my two cents  worth, And I do not need to be shouted at. Is For my 312  That is a not stock, I Bought a Holley, that was a Ford service Replacment, Carb It was for a 289  High  Performance,  A 289, yes it is a smaller engine, BUT it does, Breathe about the same. The part number is  D0PF  9510-U   List 4548   2983  I bought it new. And yes I have seen this Carb on E-bay.  If you can find one, it should work well on a 292 .The Carb works well thru all the RPM ranges.

Looks good on a FORD

Bob
2721955meteor
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I run a 600 holley on my 57ranchero 292 ,it runs perfect out of the box,good power corect port for dist,always starts instantly when hot.
1956FORDFAIRLANETOWNSEDAN2...
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Currently looking for a new 4BB carburetor and need help -  Edenbrock 1403 Performer Series 500CFM with an Electric Choke or the Holley 4160 Part number 0-8007 with a 390CFM on a 1956 Ford Fairalne 292?

I have a Ford Fairlane Town Sedan with the original Holley Teapot Carburetor and the original yblock 292. How many CFM's did the teapot Holley produce with the 292 and what is RPM for the 1956 Ford Fairlane. I think my vehicle is around 4700RPM or 4900RPM, currently the gauge is not working.  I had the carburetor rebuilt, but gas keeps pouring out the top and I'm told this has been done to many times before me owning the vehicle.  Therefore I'm looking for a new carb and am looking at the  Edenbrock 1403 500 CFM with an electric choke or the Holly 4160 part number 0-8007  which is  390CFM. I'm told that 500CFM may be overpowering I'm just not sure if it will be. I just need help picking the right carb. I'm not going to be using the Fairlane to race, just as a daily and weekend cruiser. What is good range CFM for me to choose and what carburetor would you tell me to go with?

Thank you,

Jason

speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The 390 cfm Holley will work fine but you will need to change the original loadamatic distributor to a 1957 or later as well. Usually the front primary jets of the 390 Holley will need to go up a few numbers and as to the question on the cfms on the teapot they flow around 370 cfms and the one off a Lincoln they flow around 390 cfms according to Pony carbs.

-Gary Burnette-

1956FORDFAIRLANETOWNSEDAN2...
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Gary,

Thank you for the reply. How is the edenbrock performer 500 CFM with an electric choke option? What all needs to be done for this to work
speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Tuning the Edelbrock is different, Charlie may chime in on this but make sure you use a later model intake manifold and the Edelbrock should work fine.

-Gary Burnette-

Reading This Topic

Site Meter