Help selecting a carburetor for stock 292 Y block

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic110099.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Babyboomerboy - 10 Years Ago
I have been reading a lot of the post on this site as well as a couple others sites and from what I have read a 500 CFM carburetor is about the maximum size carburetor you should use on a stock 292 ford Y block motor. However a lot of people have recommended the Edelbrock 1405 which is a 600 CFM and good right out of the box. Help, I am ready to get a new carburetor and need to know what would be best on my cheap budget and stock 292 motor. Thanks
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
Refer to this recent  thread for insight.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic103297.aspx
By Chuck - 10 Years Ago
Are you trying to get a few more ponies out of the mill, or are you just looking for a fresh carb?  If it's the latter, a 350 CFM 2 bbl Holley works just fine.  
By Outlaw56 - 10 Years Ago
I checked with Lokar and thier AOD TV Cable adapts to holley and edelbrock. The equalizer arm has two holes in it, one for holley and the other for edelbrock. In my case, they said thier cable kit would bolt right up to any edelbrock thunder series carb.
Chuck (11/6/2014)
Are you trying to get a few more ponies out of the mill, or are you just looking for a fresh carb?  If it's the latter, a 350 CFM 2 bbl Holley works just fine.  

Thank you for your reply. I should have added more information in my post. I have a 56 Ford Fairlane with a 292 stock engine with a 4 barrel and teapot carb. I am changing the manifold to be able to upgrade the carburetor and get rid of the teapot. I have been reading a lot of posts about which carb is best and have gotten many different opinions about the size of carb I should use. I don't plan to hop up the motor, just get a reliable carburetor that doesn't break my small bank account. Thanks again

By miker - 10 Years Ago
If you're still running the stock dizzy, don't forget to budget a 57 or later one. The dual advances won't work with a new carb. Plenty of info on that here.
miker (11/6/2014)
If you're still running the stock dizzy, don't forget to budget a 57 or later one. The dual advances won't work with a new carb. Plenty of info on that here.

Thanks Mike for the reply. I have ordered a Cardone Industries 30-2808 Remanufactured Distributor to go with the manifold and carburetor change.

By Y block Billy - 10 Years Ago
The summit Ford style carb I have used along with Mummert and Ted and all have had great results out of the box, the edelbrocks just don't look right on a ford IMHO.
By 56_Fairlane - 10 Years Ago
You might need to change your air cleaner too. My stock oil bath air cleaner did not fit on my Autolite 4100. I luckily found a nicely refinished 58 / 59 Edsel air cleaner that was a perfect fit for $65. All I have to do is paint it the correct silver and it will look like it almost belongs there.
By bayboy - 10 Years Ago
tried a holly 600cfm on a 312, over fueled badly went down to a 450 cfm holly 4 barrel and it works really great,  its on a stock engine 
By bayboy - 10 Years Ago
all is fine with the engine no it runs on all 8  but with the holly 600 4 barrel it wouldn,t  idel and black soot coming out the tail pipes made my snap on red tool box black in ten min.
By Chuck - 10 Years Ago
Irrespective of what carburetor you choose, do make sure the secondaries are vacuum actuated. That way, the vacuum signal will remain consistent for good metering. A mechanical secondary setup can see a significant drop vacuum signal, and the A/F ratio is erratic when this happens.

You can go as small as a Holley 390 4bbl with good results. The teapot was rated at 370 CFM, if I recall correctly, so the 390 is the closest flow match. If you go with side-hung float bowls, it will look very much like the OEM 2bbl carbs used by Ford in '59. I've run 390's on engines as small as the 2.3 liter Pinto motor, and as large as the 327 AMC V-8 with good results. You will need a different air cleaner and distributor - but it looks like you're on that.
By bayboy - 10 Years Ago
all was working fine on the 600 cfm holly  it was new out of the box put on my gmc 454 and it ran fine  and it was firing on all 8 as well just like the 312 y  blk
By Y block Billy - 10 Years Ago
The holley 600 that were installed on trucks and were originally governed were very fat on the fuel, I tried a setup on my vicky once with the matcing distributor and it would smoke the tires so easily off line but cut out at 3800 rpm, governed setup and it was jetted real fat, gas would pour out the exhaust. Got to have the right carb and right jets!
By Campsite - 10 Years Ago
Good evening; Just to add my two cents  worth, And I do not need to be shouted at. Is For my 312  That is a not stock, I Bought a Holley, that was a Ford service Replacment, Carb It was for a 289  High  Performance,  A 289, yes it is a smaller engine, BUT it does, Breathe about the same. The part number is  D0PF  9510-U   List 4548   2983  I bought it new. And yes I have seen this Carb on E-bay.  If you can find one, it should work well on a 292 .The Carb works well thru all the RPM ranges.

Looks good on a FORD
By 2721955meteor - 10 Years Ago
I run a 600 holley on my 57ranchero 292 ,it runs perfect out of the box,good power corect port for dist,always starts instantly when hot.
By 1956FORDFAIRLANETOWNSEDAN292 - 8 Years Ago
Currently looking for a new 4BB carburetor and need help -  Edenbrock 1403 Performer Series 500CFM with an Electric Choke or the Holley 4160 Part number 0-8007 with a 390CFM on a 1956 Ford Fairalne 292?

I have a Ford Fairlane Town Sedan with the original Holley Teapot Carburetor and the original yblock 292. How many CFM's did the teapot Holley produce with the 292 and what is RPM for the 1956 Ford Fairlane. I think my vehicle is around 4700RPM or 4900RPM, currently the gauge is not working.  I had the carburetor rebuilt, but gas keeps pouring out the top and I'm told this has been done to many times before me owning the vehicle.  Therefore I'm looking for a new carb and am looking at the  Edenbrock 1403 500 CFM with an electric choke or the Holly 4160 part number 0-8007  which is  390CFM. I'm told that 500CFM may be overpowering I'm just not sure if it will be. I just need help picking the right carb. I'm not going to be using the Fairlane to race, just as a daily and weekend cruiser. What is good range CFM for me to choose and what carburetor would you tell me to go with?

Thank you,

Jason

By speedpro56 - 8 Years Ago
The 390 cfm Holley will work fine but you will need to change the original loadamatic distributor to a 1957 or later as well. Usually the front primary jets of the 390 Holley will need to go up a few numbers and as to the question on the cfms on the teapot they flow around 370 cfms and the one off a Lincoln they flow around 390 cfms according to Pony carbs.
Gary,

Thank you for the reply. How is the edenbrock performer 500 CFM with an electric choke option? What all needs to be done for this to work
Tuning the Edelbrock is different, Charlie may chime in on this but make sure you use a later model intake manifold and the Edelbrock should work fine.
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
I've only used a 600 Edelbrock.  It worked ok on an 292 that was more or less within stock parameters, aside from the cam.  The 500 will probably be alright.

I don't agree with the general opinion that they are easier to tune.  If all you need to do is change metering rods, then it is very easy, but when it comes to changing jets, it is a lot more involved than a Holley.  Edelbrocks also are not generally as tuneable as many Holleys.

My use was on a truck.  Aside from having the appropriate intake or an adapter to use with your current intake, I can't tell you what else you will need to make it work.
By shakey - 8 Years Ago
tried a 600cfm holley4 barrel on my 292 lots of soot out the tail pipe , change to a 400 cfm holley 4 barrel works great   shakey

What  did the Original Holley Teapot 4000 flow at cfm wise?  What is a better option carb for a 292 y block  should I go with the Holley 390cfm or an  edenbrock 500 cfm performer series?

1956 ford Teapot 370 cfms- Lincoln Teapart 390 cfms as discussed earlier.
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
The original Ford and Merc 4V teapots are in the 400 cfm range give or take a little.  As a general rule, those carbs are on the small side for 292/312 engines if going for passing gear performance.  For daily driver purposes, they do the job admirably.

When it comes to choosing another carburetor, sizing is not necessarily the major consideration.  The brand (Holley, Carter, Edelbrock, Demon, Quick Fuel, Summit, etc) and how well they atomize the fuel will many times overshadow the cfm rating.  I have very good results using the Summit 750 carbs on 300 cubic inch engines but part of that success falls back on the annular discharge nozzles in those carbs which do an extremely good job of atomizing the fuel in the lower rpm ranges.
This is one of the hardest things to advise on.  If you have the money or can borrow, try both.  It is simply the only way you can know which will suit you best.

If that is not an option, then err on going a little bigger than you think you need, which makes the 500 the good choice.  You could also look into a 465 Holley.

By Joe 5bird7 - 8 Years Ago
I am totally satisfied with the 600 cfm Edlebrock on the 1964 292 in my car.  Was good right out of the box and has performed  perfectly for 2 or 3 yrs.  Prior to that carb, I was pretty much constantly frustrated with the Holley 4bbl and a new replacement of that Holley-----neither ever ran right for very long despite taking it to a carb shop for rebuild, and then replacement.  After many years of messing with it, I picked up the Edlebrock on sale and life has been good since. 
BTW, in my case the air cleaner I used for the Holleys fits fine on the Edlebrock.
By Vic Correnti - 8 Years Ago
This is my opinion, I have had Carter and Edelbrocks for over 50 years and not once have I had to fix a leak, buy a piece to fix one, or adjust anything on one after the first install. The instructions for jet sizing is very good and no gas will leak doing a jet change. I have had minimal experience with Holley's so I won't open Pandora"s box with that one.
By Shaggy - 8 Years Ago
Ive always had good luck with swap meet holleys on daily driven small cube non-y-block cars-. List number 4548 i belive is the 450cfm '70 ford replacement carb (D0... part number) Add a secondary metering block for the hell of it and center hung bowls for the full 4150 conversion. I cant wait for the pair of them with velocity stacks on a offy crossram to sit ontop of my 302 GM mutt!   On my Y i'm going stock -1273 holley for a stockish look. Some wierd learning on these since they use secondary power valves but otherwise it should be a sweet setup just like the '57 t-bird had.  My other option is the centerpiece of my kitchen island is a edelbrock y-block tripower with 3 stomberg 97's.
By yalincoln - 8 Years Ago
why doesn't anybody use an autolite 108 off a 289, they look ariginal, they're super simple, small size, and very easy to find and rebuild!
By PF Arcand - 8 Years Ago
Yes, the Ford  Autolite 1.08 that Ted included in his random carb tests on his 312 + test mule, some time back, scored better than several of the larger carbs in the tests. It was likely originally off of an early 289 Mustang.  The newer Holley 465 was even somewhat better & very near the top of the 16 carbs tested. All this was documented in a Y-Blk Magazine article..  However, note that the Autolite 1.12 did not test near as well.
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
yalincoln (10/18/2016)
Why doesn't anybody use an autolite 108 off a 289, they look original, they're super simple, small size, and very easy to find and rebuild!

The Ford/Autolite (flattops) carbs are simply getting much harder to find and especially those that haven’t been rebuilt several times.  The 1.08" series are even harder to find than the 1.12" series.  Those carbs tend to get damaged on the rebuilds by over-tightening some of the fasteners and this makes these carbs a tuning nightmare.  Prices on good used units are now exceeding the price of brand new carbs so it becomes questionable to sink that kind of money into a fifty plus year old carburetor.

The new Summit carbs shares internal design features with the older Ford/Autolite design and uses Holley replacement parts for the jets, needle seats, accelerator diaphragm, and secondary parts.  Being available in both 600 cfm and 750 cfm varieties makes them well suited for a wide range of applications.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b48d58bc-a9f2-49df-ad79-f827.jpg 

Not that it matters, but the Summit carb looks much more like a Holley 4010 / 4011 than an Autolite 4100.