Profile Picture

Help selecting a carburetor for stock 292 Y block

Posted By Babyboomerboy 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I've only used a 600 Edelbrock.  It worked ok on an 292 that was more or less within stock parameters, aside from the cam.  The 500 will probably be alright.

I don't agree with the general opinion that they are easier to tune.  If all you need to do is change metering rods, then it is very easy, but when it comes to changing jets, it is a lot more involved than a Holley.  Edelbrocks also are not generally as tuneable as many Holleys.

My use was on a truck.  Aside from having the appropriate intake or an adapter to use with your current intake, I can't tell you what else you will need to make it work.

Lawrenceville, GA
shakey
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
tried a 600cfm holley4 barrel on my 292 lots of soot out the tail pipe , change to a 400 cfm holley 4 barrel works great   shakey
1956FORDFAIRLANETOWNSEDAN2...
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago

What  did the Original Holley Teapot 4000 flow at cfm wise?  What is a better option carb for a 292 y block  should I go with the Holley 390cfm or an  edenbrock 500 cfm performer series?

speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
1956 ford Teapot 370 cfms- Lincoln Teapart 390 cfms as discussed earlier.

-Gary Burnette-

Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
The original Ford and Merc 4V teapots are in the 400 cfm range give or take a little.  As a general rule, those carbs are on the small side for 292/312 engines if going for passing gear performance.  For daily driver purposes, they do the job admirably.

When it comes to choosing another carburetor, sizing is not necessarily the major consideration.  The brand (Holley, Carter, Edelbrock, Demon, Quick Fuel, Summit, etc) and how well they atomize the fuel will many times overshadow the cfm rating.  I have very good results using the Summit 750 carbs on 300 cubic inch engines but part of that success falls back on the annular discharge nozzles in those carbs which do an extremely good job of atomizing the fuel in the lower rpm ranges.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
This is one of the hardest things to advise on.  If you have the money or can borrow, try both.  It is simply the only way you can know which will suit you best.

If that is not an option, then err on going a little bigger than you think you need, which makes the 500 the good choice.  You could also look into a 465 Holley.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe 5bird7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (112 reputation)Supercharged (112 reputation)Supercharged (112 reputation)Supercharged (112 reputation)Supercharged (112 reputation)Supercharged (112 reputation)Supercharged (112 reputation)Supercharged (112 reputation)Supercharged (112 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I am totally satisfied with the 600 cfm Edlebrock on the 1964 292 in my car.  Was good right out of the box and has performed  perfectly for 2 or 3 yrs.  Prior to that carb, I was pretty much constantly frustrated with the Holley 4bbl and a new replacement of that Holley-----neither ever ran right for very long despite taking it to a carb shop for rebuild, and then replacement.  After many years of messing with it, I picked up the Edlebrock on sale and life has been good since. 
BTW, in my case the air cleaner I used for the Holleys fits fine on the Edlebrock.
Vic Correnti
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
This is my opinion, I have had Carter and Edelbrocks for over 50 years and not once have I had to fix a leak, buy a piece to fix one, or adjust anything on one after the first install. The instructions for jet sizing is very good and no gas will leak doing a jet change. I have had minimal experience with Holley's so I won't open Pandora"s box with that one.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Shaggy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Ive always had good luck with swap meet holleys on daily driven small cube non-y-block cars-. List number 4548 i belive is the 450cfm '70 ford replacement carb (D0... part number) Add a secondary metering block for the hell of it and center hung bowls for the full 4150 conversion. I cant wait for the pair of them with velocity stacks on a offy crossram to sit ontop of my 302 GM mutt!   On my Y i'm going stock -1273 holley for a stockish look. Some wierd learning on these since they use secondary power valves but otherwise it should be a sweet setup just like the '57 t-bird had.  My other option is the centerpiece of my kitchen island is a edelbrock y-block tripower with 3 stomberg 97's.
yalincoln
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
why doesn't anybody use an autolite 108 off a 289, they look ariginal, they're super simple, small size, and very easy to find and rebuild!

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter