Profile Picture

High price of racing a ford

Posted By Glen Henderson 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
The things you have to do to afford to race a Y Block,

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/e4036439-7103-402a-8e05-d433.JPG

Some times you have to work on a scrub, this is a 5.7 (383 ci) that I just finished. It is the late vortec block with iron vortec heads, scat stroker crank, eagle rods, KB pistons, Comp Hyd roller cam, stainless valves, Comp valve train, 750 Holley vac sec. carb. Should make 450/475 hp on pump gas. The really sad thing is that this engine cost about half what my 337 y block cost.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
Canadian Hot Rodder
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Glen,

That may be true, but that is simply because the the aftermarket has supported this hunk of junk!!! LOL I have a LOT more respect for someone who can make that kind of performance using their OWN brain and not what the aftermarket engineers have already figured out for them!

My hat goes off to people like yourself, Ted Eaton, John Mummert, etc. who have made amazing horse power out of Y-Blocks without all this aftermarket support! Now YOU guys are the TRUE engine masters!!!!

I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning!

Glen Henderson
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

I can't take credit for my Y block other than gathering the parts, Ted built the engine, Lonnie did the machine work. You are right though, the only used parts in the scrub is the block and bare heads. Everything else is new either from Summit or the local parts store/machine shop.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
Glen Henderson
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Just so someone gets the wrong idea and thinks I have gone over to the dark side

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/dc0a580a-4dad-44a6-891f-1d14.JPG

This is my current project, this one will stay in the family.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Glen:

Are you comparing apples to apples? You say you built the scrub, but Ted built your Y. Did you include your labor in the price of the scrub? I assume you had to pay labor cost to Ted to build your Y. If your figure for the scrub didn't include labor, then you should add Ted's labor price to the scrub bill. Now does it still cost twice as much to build a Y? By the way, even though it's not a Y, you did a very nice job on that engine. The customer should be delighted.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
lyonroad
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (3/4/2014)
Glen:

By the way, even though it's not a Y, you did a very nice job on that engine. The customer should be delighted.

Echoing what Hoosier just said, but did you have to make it look so good?

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
aussiebill
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Glen Henderson (3/4/2014)
The things you have to do to afford to race a Y Block,

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/e4036439-7103-402a-8e05-d433.JPG

Some times you have to work on a scrub, this is a 5.7 (383 ci) that I just finished. It is the late vortec block with iron vortec heads, scat stroker crank, eagle rods, KB pistons, Comp Hyd roller cam, stainless valves, Comp valve train, 750 Holley vac sec. carb. Should make 450/475 hp on pump gas. The really sad thing is that this engine cost about half what my 337 y block cost.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
The sad truth is they are cheaper to build than any Ford.

OK I have to ask, where does the term "SCRUB" come from?
Glen Henderson
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

John, yes I included my labor and the machine shop labor. The difference is in the cost of parts and the availability of parts. Just a few examples,

my intake $400- scrub $160

my crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings $2000 - scub $839

my G head w/valves springs porting and machine labor $900,- scrub $475

my rockers $400 - scrub $180

ect, ect

I know this is comparing apples to oranges, if you built a flathead, or a FE or a nailhead or a hemi, the price would compare to or exceed a Y block. The point that I was trying to make is that it is hard to explain to the kid that I build the scrub for why we spend so much money on the old engines. I also realize that I could have built a SBF for about the same price as the SBC. The other point that I was trying to make was that as long as they want to pay me to work on them, it helps me have the funds to build my own projects, all Y block powered by the way.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
bird55
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
ian57tbird (3/5/2014)
The sad truth is they are cheaper to build than any Ford.

OK I have to ask, where does the term "SCRUB" come from?

Jerry Christianson coined the term Scrub for Chevy.
He has many words for them and all things GM.
You'll probly never see him on this board. Because he doesn't use a "confuser"
You can read his articles in Y-block Magazine.

We usually use that term for 'em. I cringed when I typed that other namebrand!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

Reading This Topic

Site Meter