Profile Picture

Three Point Seat Belt System for '55,'56,'57 T-Birds

Posted By tbirddragracer 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I have written an article on installing this system of seat belts in the little birds.

I know there are numerous owners of these cars on this site.

I am attaching a link to pictures and the article. Click on the link at the bottom of

the pictures for the article.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

Ernie Phillips

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t4e7nhtrnbcszj3/YunFyJVxuy
Pete 55Tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago

Ernie, Thank you for taking the time and effort to post this. I for one needed to be reminded that the Tbird is my only car that does not have three point belts. Pete
dbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Does the chain link keep the top from interfering? I tried that position with my fixed mount, non-retractable, belts and it worked great until the top was folded. I ended up going into the side panel and using a spacer. It still takes some adjusting when I put the top back up.

I really love your interior though, very clean down to the allen screws holding the door latches.

Don
bird55
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Beautiful work on your Bird Ernie. Like he leather interior a lot. Was that done in Dallas?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

bird55
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

WOW, I just read your article and had no idea you had gone through the tough ordeal of the wreck. Hope you're much better now.

I too have only lap belts. I think your great article has convinced me to step up and make the change.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

PWH42
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Ernie,about the same time you had your accident,I had an almost identical experience.I was the middle car in a 4 car/1 tractor-trailer chain pile-up.With only lap belts,I sustained a broken nose,broken ribs,a concussion and a whole bunch of cuts and bruises.Thank you Ford for putting the collapsible steering wheel in 56 Fords.If I had shoulder belts,my injuries would have been a lot less,I'm sure.

So,I agree.......install shoulder belts.And always use them.

Oh,and one other thing.I replaced my 56 with a 55 and one of the first things I did to it was swap the steering column and wheel from a 56 into the 55.If I had been driving a 55,I would have had much more severe injuries than I had.

USE YOUR SEAT BELTS!!!

Paul,

Boonville,MO

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Wow Ernie,

A week in intensive care & 2+ yrs. of rehab. Seems excessive for a broadside/t-bone collision, especially with someone properly secured in a lap belt, and driving a '57 (recessed wheel/column). Could you elaborate? I usually position the wheel of my '55 all the way up to get extra leg clearance, but assume the friction column adjuster will give a few inches and absorb some of the impact. I rear-ended a parked car doing about 50mph back in the 60s driving a '57 scrub (no belt), and the steering wheel broke away (but so did my nose!).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
tbirddragracer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)

My injuries were as follows:

Every bone in my face was broken, resulting in seven metal plates in my face

My tongue was almost completely severed

Nose broken in three places

All my teeth, lower and upper knocked out

Upper gum and bone structure damaged, requiring surgery

Lower gum and bone structure almost completely destroyed

requiring bone grafting to support lower dentures

Broken ribs, left leg broken in four places, requiring plate and pins, fractured discs

Tumor developed later in leg over plate and pins
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

I'm convinced. While a shoulder belt likely wouldn't have affected the leg fracture situation, considering the level of 50s era medical science, those extensive facial injuries could probably have proven fatal if that accident had occurred back then. I may even look into a smaller diameter, aftermarket 56-style steering wheel in addition to the belt conversion, and drive with the column/wheel all the way forward to distance it the max. Of course, it was often the case that a 50s head-on crash pushed the engine through the firewall, which shoved the then solid steering column through your chest. No belt system, dished wheel or padded dash (or airbag even) could save you then. I will look into whether the dual 3-point system can be split (thus halving the cost), since I don't see the advantage for a passenger if the seat is all the way back (?).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Talkwrench
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Great idea.. That leather interior is mint! I would sleep in it BigGrin

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter