Profile Picture

Advice on brake flaring tool

Posted By Talkwrench 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Talkwrench, Slick, others,

I did all my hard line about two years ago and bought one (butterfly screw Clamp style) off a Australian online tool shop. It was reasonable $120ish and did all my flares and trials without any sign of wear. There were some flares that could only be done on the car so the fact that it was hand held was an advatage. If I could find it I would give you details. It's away and safe if that any comfort.

45deg double flare is the way to go and only thing leagle in Australia. Check out ytube and there is some instructional videos on how to do it. Preparation is 3/4 of the job. A bit of practice and your on your way.

I'll look for mine, it's bugging me now.

Cheers
Warren

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)
Grizzly
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

check this out while I look. https://www.alltools.com.au/shop/index.php/556/2462_Flaring_Tool_(_Double_Flare_ Could be what I bought.

Cheers
Warren

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Warren. That particular tool you posted the link to looks like the one I use most of the time. Mine was originally sold by Mac tools and works well.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Talkwrench
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Sorry guys I just wouldn't even look at that type, I think unless you had an original one it just wont cut it [been there] . Im trying to source an Eastwood turret type, Jegs is looking like my only option at the moment..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The butterfly screw clamp style is what I call the junk you typically find at the parts store. But I've never used one of that style that cost more than $20-$30, so maybe the more expensive ones work better.
I've had those that were made in USA and made in China, all junk. They're what you use when you have no other choice and you just need to get home.
I did see fairly recently that there is a Craftsman of that style which does appear to be much higher quality than any I've used and is still made in the USA. It was about $70. This was within the last year but the way Craftsman is going, it could be Chinese by now.
K-Tool International have a tool just like the Eastwood tool. That may help to find a better price for it.
Keep me posted on this because I am in the market for a flare tool that actually produces quality flares, comparable to those on the tubing you get at the parts store.

Lawrenceville, GA
Grizzly
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Guys,

To my limited knowledge Abw is part of the Sidcrombe group. The extra $ is for machine fit and correct hardening. There are better, sure, but I needed quality enough for 20 fitting, 1 car. I'm sure it will do 10 cars. I'm not setting up a brake business.

Cheers
Warren

aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Warren,
I havent been on here for while due to the bickering comments that keep appearing more regularly. As you pointed out, this handheld set is good to do " in car flares" and i have used this same one for over 30 yrs!!! It is a matter of users skill level and not a matter of blaming the tools. There definitlly are better ones, hydraulic jaw type are great but not for confined spaces. Regards bill.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I am offering my advice based on my experience. I hope that's not bickering. Smile

I absolutely blame the tool but again, let's be clear, I'm talking about a tool that cost no more than $30 (what is usually in stock at the local parts store) for my experience, not the 119.00 AU that Warren posted. For 4 times as much, I'd expect much better results.
The ones I've used were lacking in the qc department, clamping bars that don't quite line up with one another - you can't simply make them flush with one another, if you do that, the taper doesn't line up- wing nuts that are impossible to tighten sufficiently to hold the tubing without using pliers, they mar the tubing, sometimes so much that the nut doesn't slide back over without filing the tubing smooth. Even if I followed the instructions to a T, cutting the line square, deburing, setting the proper distance between the clamp bar and the end of the tubing, the results were poor. I've probably made over 100 flares with those tools. None of the flares were ideal by any stretch of the word. I'd estimate that maybe 40% were usable, would get you home, but nothing I would trust for a long term fix. Single flares, I never had an issue with. The double flares were terrible. I absolutely will not use one of them again. I'm not claiming to be a pro, or skilled, but they were junk.

On the subject of the hydraulic tool, have you used one yourself? That is one I'm considering.

Lawrenceville, GA
vntgtrk
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I love my ATD. It's very easy to use and fits in tight places easily. I did all new brake lines on my '59 F100 with it. I just wish I had purchased the kit that has all the sizes instead of just the one because I still have a fuel line to fab up.
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The hydraulic one s are leap yrs ahead of the old style we use, the dies that form the flares are precise.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter