Advice on brake flaring tool

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic96588.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Talkwrench - 11 Years Ago
Just after a bit of input here guys.. Going to buy a double flaring tool and I noticed that some do 45 and other 37 degree flares?? I thought it would be universal, whats best? I came across this one from ATD , I thought it might be ok as I believe this one does bubble flares as well.. Its the very very minimum I would consider buying

http://www.toolking.com/atd-tools-5483-master-in-line-flaring-tool-kit?&URL=http%3A%2F%2Ftracking.searchmarketing.com%2Fclick.asp%3Faid%3D600005640000378470&&CA_6C15C=600005640000378470

What do you guys use?
By stuey - 11 Years Ago
i have a 56 f100 and all the fittings are 45*
i purchased my kit from Inline Tube and is similar to the other ones shown on your link.
i've had no problems although i have bent the tolley bar. would love a hydraulic version but can't justify the expense considering how often i might use it.
the 37* version is for the later AN (army and navy??) fittings utilising the stainless tubing.
http://www.inlinetube.com/ inline tube link may prove interesting reading
stuey
By slick56 - 11 Years Ago
I have just bought one of these. Have not used it as yet, but looks ok quality.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DELUXE-INDEX-TYPE-PIPE-BRAKE-DOUBLE-FLARING-TOOL-KIT-SET-3-16-5-8-NEW-/141124181098?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item20dba81c6a
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
[b]stuey (11/26/2013)the 37* version is for the later AN (army and navy??) fittings utilising the stainless tubing.

To avoid confusion, the 37 degree flare is not limited to stainless. It can be steel or aluminum. If your vehicle is stock, all of the flares are 45 degree and the brake lines use a double flare.
I can't recommend a tool but I think you are on the right track. The ones you typically find at the parts store are junk.
By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago
Talkwrench the unit you are looking at looks way fancier than the one I use. Mine is the KD unit shown in the right margin of the ad you posted. It works well enough if you are careful and patient. Mine is probably closer to the junk Charlie is referring to than the one you are looking at.
By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
Talkwrench, I was just on ATD website. They have a PDF of the instructions and the ATD-5483 looks really nice. I like the way it lines up everything and holds it in a straight line. I may get one of those myself to replace my "typically found at the parts store junk". Haha, not really, I have an older Snap-on flaring tool that has been used a lot of use and has seen better days.
Slick I hate to tell you but that tool you bought simply wont work.. Im even tossing up on that ATD one, mainly because they cant hold the pipe. If you look at a lever type with the turret you will see the size of the clamp jaws are close to 1 3/4" long and that's how you hold something! IF that ATD works...? it could have an advantage because of its size and .... possibly.. could be used on the car. Just hard trying to find a happy medium as they can be expensive and harder to come by here in Australia so postage goes on top..
By Barry L - 11 Years Ago
Recently got one of these from Brake Quip http://www.brakequip.com/tools.html Once the tubing is cut and deburred, you can make an excellent double flare in seconds... a little pricey, but does beautiful work. The tool is vice mounted . Clamp in the tubing, select the punch from the rotating turret, pull the lever, select the finish punch to set the flare, pull the lever again, unclamp and you're done. Takes longer to explain it here than to make a flare. The tubing holders don't mar the tube . Only short coming is the ability to flare close to an angle (bend in tubing) as the tube clamping dies are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. The optional 37 degree tooling is for AN fittings that use ferrules and a single flare....aircraft style. Barry
By slick56 - 11 Years Ago
Article on YouTube on tool i bought from eBay for $60.

He gets to the nitti gritti about 2:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUDyEu_NYK8
By ian57tbird - 11 Years Ago
Check out what RIDGID has. They have some very good tube forming tools. They usually have a couple of different ranges of quality.
By Grizzly - 11 Years Ago
Talkwrench, Slick, others,

I did all my hard line about two years ago and bought one (butterfly screw Clamp style) off a Australian online tool shop. It was reasonable $120ish and did all my flares and trials without any sign of wear. There were some flares that could only be done on the car so the fact that it was hand held was an advatage. If I could find it I would give you details. It's away and safe if that any comfort.

45deg double flare is the way to go and only thing leagle in Australia. Check out ytube and there is some instructional videos on how to do it. Preparation is 3/4 of the job. A bit of practice and your on your way.

I'll look for mine, it's bugging me now.

Cheers
Warren
check this out while I look. https://www.alltools.com.au/shop/index.php/556/2462_Flaring_Tool_(_Double_Flare_ Could be what I bought.

Cheers
Warren
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
Warren. That particular tool you posted the link to looks like the one I use most of the time. Mine was originally sold by Mac tools and works well.
Sorry guys I just wouldn't even look at that type, I think unless you had an original one it just wont cut it [been there] . Im trying to source an Eastwood turret type, Jegs is looking like my only option at the moment..
The butterfly screw clamp style is what I call the junk you typically find at the parts store. But I've never used one of that style that cost more than $20-$30, so maybe the more expensive ones work better.
I've had those that were made in USA and made in China, all junk. They're what you use when you have no other choice and you just need to get home.
I did see fairly recently that there is a Craftsman of that style which does appear to be much higher quality than any I've used and is still made in the USA. It was about $70. This was within the last year but the way Craftsman is going, it could be Chinese by now.
K-Tool International have a tool just like the Eastwood tool. That may help to find a better price for it.
Keep me posted on this because I am in the market for a flare tool that actually produces quality flares, comparable to those on the tubing you get at the parts store.
Guys,

To my limited knowledge Abw is part of the Sidcrombe group. The extra $ is for machine fit and correct hardening. There are better, sure, but I needed quality enough for 20 fitting, 1 car. I'm sure it will do 10 cars. I'm not setting up a brake business.

Cheers
Warren

By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
Warren,
I havent been on here for while due to the bickering comments that keep appearing more regularly. As you pointed out, this handheld set is good to do " in car flares" and i have used this same one for over 30 yrs!!! It is a matter of users skill level and not a matter of blaming the tools. There definitlly are better ones, hydraulic jaw type are great but not for confined spaces. Regards bill.
I am offering my advice based on my experience. I hope that's not bickering. Smile

I absolutely blame the tool but again, let's be clear, I'm talking about a tool that cost no more than $30 (what is usually in stock at the local parts store) for my experience, not the 119.00 AU that Warren posted. For 4 times as much, I'd expect much better results.
The ones I've used were lacking in the qc department, clamping bars that don't quite line up with one another - you can't simply make them flush with one another, if you do that, the taper doesn't line up- wing nuts that are impossible to tighten sufficiently to hold the tubing without using pliers, they mar the tubing, sometimes so much that the nut doesn't slide back over without filing the tubing smooth. Even if I followed the instructions to a T, cutting the line square, deburing, setting the proper distance between the clamp bar and the end of the tubing, the results were poor. I've probably made over 100 flares with those tools. None of the flares were ideal by any stretch of the word. I'd estimate that maybe 40% were usable, would get you home, but nothing I would trust for a long term fix. Single flares, I never had an issue with. The double flares were terrible. I absolutely will not use one of them again. I'm not claiming to be a pro, or skilled, but they were junk.

On the subject of the hydraulic tool, have you used one yourself? That is one I'm considering.
By vntgtrk - 11 Years Ago
I love my ATD. It's very easy to use and fits in tight places easily. I did all new brake lines on my '59 F100 with it. I just wish I had purchased the kit that has all the sizes instead of just the one because I still have a fuel line to fab up.
By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
The hydraulic one s are leap yrs ahead of the old style we use, the dies that form the flares are precise.
vntgtrk (11/29/2013)
I love my ATD. It's very easy to use and fits in tight places easily. I did all new brake lines on my '59 F100 with it. I just wish I had purchased the kit that has all the sizes instead of just the one because I still have a fuel line to fab up.

Hi, Cal Van Tools seems to have the same item for ~ $30 less at Amazon.com Appears to be the same manufacturer. Got good reviews. I'm still thinking on getting one.
Ha, I see the site is still screwed up, can't edit my previous post...

Anyway, have you tried AGS NiCopp brake lines. Nickel, Copper, Steel Alloy. A little softer than steel lines, Flares and bends easier.
By Y block Billy - 11 Years Ago
My kit is an Imperial Eastman kit and it not only does flares up to 1/2 " it also has dies to swell the ends of the tubing so you can connect tubing to tubing and sweat the joints. (Not recommended for brake lines) Dont know if they are still in bussiness, I bought mine at a bargain outlet that buys out old stores going out of bussiness.
By Y block Billy - 11 Years Ago
Wow, just looked them up on the internet and their basic tool for double flares is $173 and change. couldnt imagine what my kit would have cost in the day because it has much more to it but I think I got it for $30 or so.
By vntgtrk - 11 Years Ago
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUBE-BENDING-PLIERS-AUTO-BRAKE-FUEL-LINE-TUBE-BENDER-/220825460471?pt=Pliers&hash=item336a391ef7&vxp=mtr
I also used one of these for on the vehicle bending. It's OK, but I found I have to use two wraps of masking tape on the tube at the bend point to keep from kinking the tube.

By The Horvaths - 11 Years Ago
The tape is something that I'll have to try the next time I make some new lines up. Thanks.
By 62f250 - 11 Years Ago
I have a snap on kit that i've had for 10 years or so it does single or double flares, I use it all the time in the northeast we do brake lines alot never had any trouble with it with the exception of the die that goes in the tubing for the first part of a double flare breaking the pin. I've also used the hydraulic flaring tool theyre are slick and the versatility is great but cant justify the money for one. Imo you get what you pay for and a $30 parts store special is just that. I think my kit was $120 10 or so years ago but does come with snap ons warranty,a tubing cutter,all the dies to flare up to 1/2 inch and a nice sturdy plastic storage case. Just my 2 cents