Profile Picture

'56 272 distributor replacement and replacement pushrods.

Posted By ChickenManMotors 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

'56 272 distributor replacement and replacement pushrods.

Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I'm looking to replace my original points distributor in my '56 272 with a ford distributor I can put electronic ignition in. Anything compatible that's Ford that will accept electronic ignition?

Found two broken pushrods, thought I'd replace them all....looking for quality replacement pushrods.

Thanks for taking to time steer me in the right direction.

Dan
Dobie Gillis
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
How 'bout a Pertronix? Replaces the points and condenser in the original dizzy; no need to modify anything.
oldcarmark
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
ChickenManMotors (10/24/2013)
I'm looking to replace my original points distributor in my '56 272 with a ford distributor I can put electronic ignition in. Anything compatible that's Ford that will accept electronic ignition?

Found two broken pushrods, thought I'd replace them all....looking for quality replacement pushrods.

Thanks for taking to time steer me in the right direction.

Dan

You can buy Pertronix for the original Distributor as mentioned.If you want to upgrade the Distributor than try and purchase a 57 later type Distributor.Than ad Pertronix to it.Last time this swap was a topic the exchange Distributors were in short supply and hard to find.Don't know if the availability has improved.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
ChickenManMotors
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
OK, cool. I didn't realize Pertronix was available for this year distributor. You guys rock. Thank you.

Dan
dbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Before buying anything, you should look at your long term plans. The 56 distributor is not the best choice if you're planning on changing carbs down the line. The 56 only works with 56 and earlier carbs. If you're planning on upgrading intakes, look into buying a distributor for a 64 292 pickup and converting that to electronic. If you're planning on staying close to original, do what the others said.

Don
Daniel Jessup
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
And as far as electronics go... for the 57 and up Ford distributors, I personally like the ACCEL #2020 points eliminator kit and have used them on a few of the Y blocks I have built. They have all worked very well.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
You also mentioned pushrod replacements. Are you looking for the stock pushrods or a little better tubular pushrod? I know that John Mummert and Vern Schumann both sell various types of pushrods in various lengths.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

GREENBIRD56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Don't know if they are currently available but I got a set of the tubulars for a 292 from "RockAuto" on the internet a couple of years back - price was reasonable.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
jrw429
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
In response to the discussion on this forum indicating that the only rebuilder of Y-block distributors, Cardone, had decided to cease rebuilding Y-block distributors, I went out and tried to purchase one. All of this is online ordering. I tried about a dozen different places that all had the correct part listed. Every one of them declined my order without giving much information as to why. Only one place accepted my order. On 19 September, Summit took the order. They immediately billed me the $30 core charge and $10 delivery charge, but listed as "to be billed later" the $57 cost of the distributor. A ship date has come and gone two or three times now. They did send me a postcard in the mail notifying me of the backorder, but apparently they have no intention of ever admitting they can't fulfill the order. Or maybe they know something I don't about future availability?

As if Cardone's dropping this product wasn't bad enough, MSD filed for bankruptcy. While more expensive, they did/do offer a new (not rebuilt) distributor.

Jim - Erie Colorado, 1957 Country Sedan
charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
jrw429 (10/30/2013)
As if Cardone's dropping this product wasn't bad enough, MSD filed for bankruptcy. While more expensive, they did/do offer a new (not rebuilt) distributor.

Email/call other distributor makers and let them know there is interest and demand. I've contacted Mallory and Pertronix about a dual advance distributor. Pertronix don't seem interested. Mallory will build one but it is expensive. Cantact them. If they get enough interest, they will make it. Mallory obviously like the Y, with 3 mechanical advance electronic and maybe even points offerings already. Pertronix have nice stock looking ones for other engines and are pretty cheap but like I said, they weren't too enthusiastic. If more people speak up,I'm sure they'll get the message.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter