'56 272 distributor replacement and replacement pushrods.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic92355.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By ChickenManMotors - 11 Years Ago
I'm looking to replace my original points distributor in my '56 272 with a ford distributor I can put electronic ignition in. Anything compatible that's Ford that will accept electronic ignition?

Found two broken pushrods, thought I'd replace them all....looking for quality replacement pushrods.

Thanks for taking to time steer me in the right direction.

Dan
By Dobie Gillis - 11 Years Ago
How 'bout a Pertronix? Replaces the points and condenser in the original dizzy; no need to modify anything.
By oldcarmark - 11 Years Ago
ChickenManMotors (10/24/2013)
I'm looking to replace my original points distributor in my '56 272 with a ford distributor I can put electronic ignition in. Anything compatible that's Ford that will accept electronic ignition?

Found two broken pushrods, thought I'd replace them all....looking for quality replacement pushrods.

Thanks for taking to time steer me in the right direction.

Dan

You can buy Pertronix for the original Distributor as mentioned.If you want to upgrade the Distributor than try and purchase a 57 later type Distributor.Than ad Pertronix to it.Last time this swap was a topic the exchange Distributors were in short supply and hard to find.Don't know if the availability has improved.
By ChickenManMotors - 11 Years Ago
OK, cool. I didn't realize Pertronix was available for this year distributor. You guys rock. Thank you.

Dan
By dbird - 11 Years Ago
Before buying anything, you should look at your long term plans. The 56 distributor is not the best choice if you're planning on changing carbs down the line. The 56 only works with 56 and earlier carbs. If you're planning on upgrading intakes, look into buying a distributor for a 64 292 pickup and converting that to electronic. If you're planning on staying close to original, do what the others said.

Don
By Daniel Jessup - 11 Years Ago
And as far as electronics go... for the 57 and up Ford distributors, I personally like the ACCEL #2020 points eliminator kit and have used them on a few of the Y blocks I have built. They have all worked very well.
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
You also mentioned pushrod replacements. Are you looking for the stock pushrods or a little better tubular pushrod? I know that John Mummert and Vern Schumann both sell various types of pushrods in various lengths.

Rono
By GREENBIRD56 - 11 Years Ago
Don't know if they are currently available but I got a set of the tubulars for a 292 from "RockAuto" on the internet a couple of years back - price was reasonable.
By jrw429 - 11 Years Ago
In response to the discussion on this forum indicating that the only rebuilder of Y-block distributors, Cardone, had decided to cease rebuilding Y-block distributors, I went out and tried to purchase one. All of this is online ordering. I tried about a dozen different places that all had the correct part listed. Every one of them declined my order without giving much information as to why. Only one place accepted my order. On 19 September, Summit took the order. They immediately billed me the $30 core charge and $10 delivery charge, but listed as "to be billed later" the $57 cost of the distributor. A ship date has come and gone two or three times now. They did send me a postcard in the mail notifying me of the backorder, but apparently they have no intention of ever admitting they can't fulfill the order. Or maybe they know something I don't about future availability?

As if Cardone's dropping this product wasn't bad enough, MSD filed for bankruptcy. While more expensive, they did/do offer a new (not rebuilt) distributor.
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
jrw429 (10/30/2013)
As if Cardone's dropping this product wasn't bad enough, MSD filed for bankruptcy. While more expensive, they did/do offer a new (not rebuilt) distributor.

Email/call other distributor makers and let them know there is interest and demand. I've contacted Mallory and Pertronix about a dual advance distributor. Pertronix don't seem interested. Mallory will build one but it is expensive. Cantact them. If they get enough interest, they will make it. Mallory obviously like the Y, with 3 mechanical advance electronic and maybe even points offerings already. Pertronix have nice stock looking ones for other engines and are pretty cheap but like I said, they weren't too enthusiastic. If more people speak up,I'm sure they'll get the message.
By GREENBIRD56 - 11 Years Ago
Charlie - I bought an Autolite distributor out of a 312 Merc - off ebay - three weeks ago for $30 including the shipping. There are so few people who know or care about them, it still happens with regularity. It needs TLC and probably a new bushing - but it sure isn't hurt. I'm going to strip it and make it electronic - and anticipate it will be a ready spare for the future.

It would be nice if we had a list of those with commercial shops that are in the business of doing such work - I know "GMC Bubba" over on the HAMB has a shop that will do it for hire. There must be others.
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
That certainly is an option. But by the time it is refurbished and a typical electronic conversion is installed, you'll probably have at least $200.00 in it. If, for instance, Pertronix made a stock look distributor for the Y, it should be pretty close to the same price as the other stock look distributors since it should use many of the same parts (assuming they are analogous to the original Motorcraft distributors where many of the parts interchange), which will be in the same ballpark as the refurbished original, but completely new, and with a timing mechanism that is much easier to adjust. Mallory would be more expensive and be good competition to the MSD. I still say, if you think you may need a distributor soon, speak up. Show those companies that there is demand.
By oldcarmark - 11 Years Ago
I emailed Cardone to find out what the actual story is on the 30-2808 Distributors.I got a response right away.They are NOT discontinued.They just have no cores right now.Not surprising if they are being bought up by us Y-Blockers.No cores going back.They will rebuild and return if you send one in.Price is according to whom ever you deal with as a Parts Supplier.Send it in via O'Reillys or who ever you buy from locally.