Profile Picture

Instruction sheet for new head installation

Posted By Ted 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago

Definitely needs an instruction sheet. How many times have you purchased something only to question what the manufacturer wanted because no literature was included? Some items to include on an instruction sheet would include:

Head gasket recommendation.

Torque specs and tightening sequence.

Spark plug recommendation with the heat range.

Pushrod length if different than stock.

Head bolt recommendation with part numbers.

Any warnings – ie. “DO NOT USE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT HEAD BOLTS!!!”, “USE ANTI-SEIZE ON SPARK PLUG THREADS BEFORE INSTALLING”, etc.

Feel free to make corrections or additions. This is just a start.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Ted:

A couple years ago you and I had some contact with a possible supplier of aluminum heads.  One of the things I discussed with him was moving the combustion chamber higher on the bore.  He said that would be a gain in HP.

My Studebaker friend contracted with the same guy to make some Stude manifolds.  He paid up front money.  After a year and a lot of excuses, he asked for his money back.  Haven't heard how the deal came out, but keep this in mind if you are thinking of using that source.

John

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Hoosier Hurricane (1/3/2008)
Ted:  My Studebaker friend contracted with the same guy to make some Stude manifolds.  He paid up front money.  After a year and a lot of excuses, he asked for his money back.  Haven't heard how the deal came out, but keep this in mind if you are thinking of using that source.  John

John.  Thanks for the warning but they’ll be no up front money with where I hope this goes.  Different group.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Ted:

The last two words of your post are music to my ears.  "Different group".  My Stude friend is a 73 year old retired teacher who never has anything bad to say about anybody, but flat out called that guy a liar.

John

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Pete's Panel
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Torque specs for the rocker shaft mounts, inlet and exhaust manifolds might save a few stripped threads

Pete, one of the Aussie mob.Hehe Beechworth, Victoria60 F100 Panel Van, Y-block. 65 Galaxie Country Sedan 390
ScottY
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
What, if any, type of coolant/anti-freeze, and mix ratio, some of these do more harm than good if incorrectly applied.

mY "two bobs" worth, for what it's worth,Tongue

"MY TWO BOBS WORTH!" (Twenty Cents AUD)

Y-BLOCKS ROCK!!!!!

davis
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)

are these new heads cast in the U.S?

maybe i missed that in all the posts.

thanks. just curious.

This ain't no L-Kamino!
Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

davis (11/24/2008)
are these new heads cast in the U.S?

Yes…. California

davis
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)

made in california is great. wow. i'm really impressed.

was edelbrock asked to quote these?

its been mentioned here that vic hates the Y, but this

is just business in the end.

This ain't no L-Kamino!
charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Last Active: 25 minutes ago
its been mentioned here that vic hates the Y, but this

is just business in the end.

Yeah, but good products usually are not produced when the manufacturer hates the product. It becomes something like hush money, in a sense.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter