Profile Picture

Instruction sheet for new head installation

Posted By Ted 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Edelbrock wasn't asked to quote, why would you ask a competitor to quote your work?

John has found what appears to be a decent pattern and foundry in El Cajon, not in LA which is a 100 miles up the road. Edelbrock has no interest in any Y Block parts and it would be best to keep it that way.Wink

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

davis
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Edelbrock foundry is in the business of casting - just about anything that will fit the core boxes.

i don't see them as a competitor for this product.

This ain't no L-Kamino!
davis
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)Supercharged (241 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
No interest in Y block parts....

they are expanding their Flathead parts for 09.

bringing back the Slingshot manifold too.

Hemi is also coming back in interest along with buick nailheads.

there's a market for vintage parts.

i think if there's enough interest, they should remake a vintage Y manifold.

like the 6 jug log ram or the 573 maybe even the dual quad. even the finned valve covers.

i've seen those go for $400 easy on ebay.

Barry Grant has introduced the Demon 98 as you know.

we've seen more Y coverage in the magazines and Speedway parts has more items for Y's than before.

i think Y's are gaining momentum outside of the Thunderbird enthusiast market segment.

and i think this is a good thing.

anyway,

just my thoughts, - no intention to put anybody down.

This ain't no L-Kamino!
Daniel Jessup
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Edelbrock sold out to the scrub and gm crowd long ago. Not Vic Sr, but Vic Jr has made the comments about the Y. All that and they still have decent carbs - ones on my 55 now Tongue

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

mctim64
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Carbs are just an old AFB Wink they didn't design them.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

PF Arcand
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Davis: To expand a bit on what Daniel says, the late Vic Edelbrock senior produced parts for the Y-block. However, nothing has been done for our engine by Edelbrock in many years. In a recent interview when the subject came up about the Ford Y-block, Vic Edelbrock "junior", reportedly described the engine as "terrible"!

Paul
pegleg
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Edelbrock was approached a few years back on another project. They didn't even bother to answer. I am aware of the Edelbrock Foundry, it's supposed to be very complete and modern. Thay don't have, and won't have anything to do with Y-Blocks until the volume level reaches something that interests them, and then it would be done under the Edelbrock name. Not Rebop or Mummert. 

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Don Woodruff
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Add to instruction sheets recommended ignition curve, inital, total, vacuum advance for street and strip (centrifual only).

Edit:

Possibly a chart for milling the heads .0xx/CC then a chart for deck Vs intake cuts.

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Don Woodruff (12/6/2008)
Add to instruction sheets recommended ignition curve, inital, total, vacuum advance for street and strip (centrifual only).

Possibly a chart for milling the heads .0xx/CC then a chart for deck Vs intake cuts.

While a change in combustion chamber design can have an effect on igntion curve attributes, changes to the camshaft, intake manifold, carburetor, and/or static and dynamic compression ratios are also valid considerations and will typically prove to be more significant.  Spark plug placement is the biggest player in combustion chamber design as far as necessitating changes in total timing or the curve itself.  Because of the myriad of combinations in regard to combustion chamber, camshaft, intake manifold, carburetion, etc., it would be difficult at best to nail down any specifics in regards to an optimum curve if simply bolting on the new heads.  A range of ignition curves is something that can be considered after the heads are tested on a variety of combinations but this kind of testing is expensive unless being sponsored so there’s a good chance it will not happen in the near future.  And even with the main stream engines, you don’t see this kind of testing with the published results.  Short term, the heads will be simply tested on what will be considered a normally hopped up Y engine (aftermarket camshaft and intake) and not a variety of combinations.

Optimum total timing for the combination that is tested will be a given though and if significantly different than with using the oem cast iron heads, then that information can be provided with the cylinder heads so the end user can make the appropriate judgement call on whether their own combination warrants a similar adjustment.

A chart for head milling or recommended cut for a 1cc reduction is doable though.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Don Woodruff
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Most heads with the new fast burn designs need a max advance of 30-32 degrees, not the 36-38 degree of the older designs. Going by the old Hi po FE  (18 initial 38 total) as stated in the old HI po books with advance all in by X rpm were good rules of thumb starting points. These were good until you get into the current fuel variations. Marginal fuel will obviously reduce the maxim advance allowed. In my experience compression (until 11 +) seemed to have little effect with flat top pistons. I think John has enough experience building and tuning to offer some general extrapolated advice on these points. I am not asking for anything but guide lines. I will guarantee that if someone bolts these heads on and uses the stock ignition curves there is a real possibility of an unhappy customer. Having $2000+ to buy a set of heads or $300 for a distributor does not guarantee enough knowledge to make them work properly.

I do know that the set of AFR heads I bought for my 393 windsor had general recomendations.

Just speaking a bit from experience, my cousin developed and had cast a cylinder head for tractor pulling. It developed a bunch more power than previously atainable, but you know the racers ( at 25k+ a pop) knew more than the guy that designed it. After changing valve sizes etc etc throughly ruined the set up and then it was the  the vendors fault.

I can and will run my combination through my Engine Analyser Pro software to get some starting points.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter