Profile Picture

Rear seal leaking slightly

Posted By timmy4 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (362 reputation)Supercharged (362 reputation)Supercharged (362 reputation)Supercharged (362 reputation)Supercharged (362 reputation)Supercharged (362 reputation)Supercharged (362 reputation)Supercharged (362 reputation)Supercharged (362 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I got my car on the road under historical plates and a friend drives me around to car shows. When I rebuilt the engine I put a Teflon seal in the engine not a rope seal and recently it started leaking has a 6 inch spot under it. The crank shaft where the seal rides was clean and smooth.
Talkwrench
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
You mean neoprene seal? SHouldn't leak that much, after years they do and we seem to live with it if not too bad. Someone will put up a link to Teds tech info on how to do the rear main. Hopefully a simple fix.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago

292 or a 312? 312’s seem to be problematic in getting the rear seal area to the point where they are drip free when using the rope type seals. With that being said, not all oil leaks are from the seal itself but can also be associated with the side seals on the seal retainer or even at the threads holding the two bolts that fasten the oil pan to the seal retainer.

Here’s the link to the rear seal installation instructions that were originally published in the Y-Block Magazine.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2008/09/10/neoprene-rear-seal-installation-for-the-y-and-others/

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Jeff
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I had replaced my original rope seal with a Best 2 piece neoprene seal in my '56 292. This is a 60K original car so the work to the engine is being done in the car. The leak is back and after doing some research I'm in the process of replacing it again, this time with Best graphite rope seal. My thoughts are that since I am not able to properly prepare the crankshaft surface the neoprene seal failed due to corrosion/roughness on the journal. Hopefully the rope seal will accommodate these imperfections.

Jeff Petersen

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/7f7836d2-56a8-4a8b-b1fd-515f.jpg
Talkwrench
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Im glad Im not the only one its happened too Jeff. I have my doubts if the rope seal will be better ..How rough do you think the crankshaft is?? Look forward to your report when done.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
Cactus
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I wish I had the answer to this problem as I thought I had the answer this year. But, sorry to say when I thought I had a tight motor I am now finding large puddles under the car after short drives. After a number of years and what seems like millions of dollars I am about ready to give up. I probably will drive this thing until it blows and regroup. Thinking about a 347 stroker for my car, and I know that I may not be satisfied with it but at least it won't cover the world with oil. Y-block is becoming a dirty world in my household.

Jan  Urbanczyk  Major USMC Ret.

Bowie Maryland

gekko13
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Jan, 347's have rear main seals too. If they are not installed properly or just worn out, they leak. Don't give up on the "Y-block", they can be house broken.
Dobie Gillis
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
If you don't have a PCV system you might consider rigging one up. They reduce oil leaks considerably.
Cactus
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)Supercharged (313 reputation)

I have a PCV installed and even tried it with a set of valve covers with breathers. Nothing changed.

Bowie Maryland

Cactus
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I don't think my PCV was working right initially and maybe I built up to much pressure and screwed up the seal. I am clutching at straws here but realistically I am not giving up on this thing. It runs great, has a lot of power, but it bleeds.

Bowie Maryland

Reading This Topic

Site Meter