Profile Picture

272 starting issues (ignition?)

Posted By msauls 11 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago

Hello- First post here, but I’ve been reading and learning for the last 6mo or so. I’m hoping I can get some assistance and some help problem solving.

I am having some difficulty starting my 272 after beingdown for some upgrades. I know itsdifficult to diagnose through a keyboard and more-so without all the info, soI’ll try my best to explain and list everything.

1958 F-100 V8-272(basically all original and all stock)

3-spd column shift - all original (points) ignition - Should be thestock 2bbl carb, etc

I drove it around a bit after acquiring it and seeing itsuffered from the ‘drunken monkey’ syndrome, I put it up in the garage for somenecessary upgrades. (New tires, brakes, suspension,…)

While I was at it I changed the coil, points, condenser,plugs and wires, fluids, battery…all the standard tune-up stuff.

By the time came to start her back up, it has beensitting for approx 2-1/2 months. It would not start.

-It kept turning over strong and would pop/fire out ofthe carb occasionally, then end with an “eerrrrrrrrr” sound. Tried thisover and over again but would never catch to start.

-After double checking the wire sequence, etc I wonderedit I had mal-adjusted the points. So ina quick fit I threw in a pertronix we had laying around the shop (new andcorrect model#). It just did the samething…over and over.

-Thought then that it might be the timing, so I loosenedthe distributor and twisted it left, right in various increments …it either didthe same or worse. THEN, while still attempting it …I saw the battery arc fromthe terminal to the firewall and all went dead. Dead as a doornail.

This is where I stand now. Regarding the scary ending I’m guessing Ididn’t have a good ground somehow (perhaps from loosening the distributor??)

I am quite certain that would have fried the Pertronixmodule and probably why it is super dead right now. I have purchased a new Pertronix and new coiland will attempt this again this week.

Number one, I don’t want to fry another Pertronix….number two, theengine still wasn’t starting….and number three, what about my ground(why thearc)?

Can anyone give me advice to where to go from here?

Many thanks-

1958 - F100 272 w/3-spd column
msauls
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)

!! on thing - Before "the Arc" and everything being dead...I pulled a plug to see what the spark looked like. It was very weak.We also tried starting fluid at one point. *pop* *flame*

PWH42
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Check and make sure all the grounds are good.Engine to body/frame and battery cable to engine.

Paul,

Boonville,MO

charliemccraney
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 55 minutes ago
Don't install the Pertronix until you solve the issue. It sounds like the old ignition components worked and you changed them as a preventative measure. Put them back in and go from there.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rig
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
One of the first things that comes to mind is that the firing sequence might be off.

15846372, with cylinder #1 being the front on the passenger side. Crank rotation viewed from the front is clockwise.

If you have a spark, the coil is probably ok.

If you are getting some backfiring and popping, you have some spark.

I agree you should put the old stuff back in, get it started, and then change one thing at a time. It's a good idea to always change only one component at a time and then check that it still fires and runs well.
msauls
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Thanks PWH42, Charlie and Rig-

Tonight I will run down all wiring associated with the ig sys...ensure all grounds are solid.

Rig, I initially thought the same thing about the firing order. I checked it twice, have it written underside of the hood but will do so again.

I guess I will end up placing the points (new) and old coil back in....like Charlie said, it worked before.

I think while my intentions were good with new points and everything, It ended up being my downfall right now because there are too many variables that have changed. I'll go back to eliminate some of that with the old parts and start from there.
Update tomorrow hopefully-

Thanks!

Daniel Jessup
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It should at least get started... you have spark and you have compression right? all you need is that air/fuel mix and you have the 3 things to get it running.

my vote in all this --- that firing order on the distributor cap is counter clockwise - double check that first. Then bring number one cylinder to TDC and see where your rotor is at. Set your distributor to fire right on Number One cylinder, and then go from there.

The reason I say the CCW rotation is your "pop and flame" comment...

Dunno what to tell you about the arc

KIT

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

msauls
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Ok, update.
Verified grounds, replaced one wire that may have or would cause an issue.

Put the old points, cond and rotor in... Gapped 'Em. Rotated dist to a good guess of where it was.

Checked the firing order. Correct on plugs and cap, rotated CW from standing in front.

Attempted starting again, got puffs and flame out of carb again. Looked like moby dick spitting up fuel. No start and don't think it was close.
Read the spark from another plug with alligator clip ground, and it was orange. Not strong but looked like it might be enough?

Kit, thanks for the input. Is there a way for me to verify TDC while everything is buttoned up?

msauls
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Heck! Yes! Gotter running, you guys are great!

The one thing I didn't place back was the old dist cap.
While trying to find TDC like Kit said and re reading Rig saying something similar... My old cap I had written the numbers on. I'm thinking I had it the wrong direction with the new cap. It now goes clockwise (I think!? All confused now)
Either way thank all of you so much. I'll post some pics in the morning and keep updating with the upgrades. Can sleep sound tonight!
Night!

aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
msauls (4/25/2013)
Ok, update.
Verified grounds, replaced one wire that may have or would cause an issue.

Put the old points, cond and rotor in... Gapped 'Em. Rotated dist to a good guess of where it was.

Checked the firing order. Correct on plugs and cap, rotated CW from standing in front.

Attempted starting again, got puffs and flame out of carb again. Looked like moby dick spitting up fuel. No start and don't think it was close.
Read the spark from another plug with alligator clip ground, and it was orange. Not strong but looked like it might be enough?

Kit, thanks for the input. Is there a way for me to verify TDC while everything is buttoned up?

Unless you,ve got a typo? you say rotation is CW? Distributor rotation as mentioned is CCW or anti clockwise. Does sound like fireing order is out? Recheck and have someone spin engine over while you slowly rotate distributor to where the engine is happy. good luck.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter