Profile Picture

56 Tbird needs to steer and stop a little better....

Posted By oldguy668 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I've seen several references to Granada spindles. I'm gathering parts to rebuild the front end as soon as cruising season is over, and disk brakes are on the table. Do the spindles require any reworking to fit the Tbird ball joints? Are there any part numbers available for the rest of the disk brake components? What's the recommended master cylinder setup with the disks? I've also seen some references to Lincoln Versailles spindles, but not much hard info.
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
The biggest deal is that the Versailles spindle bolt right on with no modification. The Granada's need a ball joint hole reamed slightly to fit. It's getting harder all the time to find complete sets of either but its the best way. If you find them get everything from the spindle out. Some have even taken the master cylinder and equalizing valve from the doner car. If finding them proves impossible there are often sets on EBAY in the $400 range. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I talked with a local member of the Tbird club last week. He was looking at my 57 Bird asking about the Granada brake conversion I did. He said that one of the club members used a kit from one of the Bird parts retailers to do the conversion. He is having problems with the dual master cylinder being too close to the stock log exhaust manifold. He said it is boiling the brake fluid. I have Sanderson headers so no problem for me but it is something to think about if planning to stay with the stock exhaust manifolds.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

oldguy668
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)

So far, I have this kit

http://stores.a-resto-parts.com/catalog/1955-57%20Ford%20T-Bird-Complete.JPG

...and a set of these guys

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Replacement-Control-Arm-Shaft-Kit-/00/s/NzAwWDY0Ng==/z/2tIAAOxyshFRd7Cm/$T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fB(IIBRd7CmB7!Q~~60_3.JPG

...and I just scored a set of Versailles spindles with caliper brackets. I'm going to powdercoat everything and then install all of it at once. Maybe then the car will only use one lane of the interstate at a time.

Thanks for the tip on the MC to header clearance. Does it make any sense to change the remote MC on the booster to a dual circuit or is that not such a good idea?
paul2748
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
CASCO has a extra long heat shield that fits the longer dual master cylinders.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

oldguy668
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

I was going to fabricate a better heat shield, but if Casco has them all the better. That'll leave me more time to order more stuff and spend more of my Social security check on a 57 year old car.
oldguy668
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Sometimes you get lucky...

I found a wrecked Versailles (hit in rear). It was 1000 miles away, but I managed to get the spindles, calipers and rotors for $250 shipped to my door. The car must have had a brake job just before it crashed, because the rotors are almost new. I'll rebuild the calipers and wait for winter before I change everything out.

The plan is to run a newer, dual circuit master cylinder on the firewall, and use the remote power booster/MC just for the fronts.
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I just finished the conversion on my 57 Bird. On the advice of others on this forum, I used the Granada manual front disc/rear drum dual master cylinder with a Wilwood combo adjustable valve and eliminated the original power booster. Stops just fine without it. Was skeptical at first but no problem.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

oldguy668
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

That's good info. Did you change the bore of the rear cylinders or just rely on the pro valve for balance?
oldguy668
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

That's good info. Did you change the bore of the rear cylinders or just rely on the prop valve for balance? How did the Granada MC pushrod work with the Tbird pedal?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter