56 Tbird needs to steer and stop a little better....

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic81955.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By oldguy668 - 11 Years Ago
I've seen several references to Granada spindles. I'm gathering parts to rebuild the front end as soon as cruising season is over, and disk brakes are on the table. Do the spindles require any reworking to fit the Tbird ball joints? Are there any part numbers available for the rest of the disk brake components? What's the recommended master cylinder setup with the disks? I've also seen some references to Lincoln Versailles spindles, but not much hard info.
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
The biggest deal is that the Versailles spindle bolt right on with no modification. The Granada's need a ball joint hole reamed slightly to fit. It's getting harder all the time to find complete sets of either but its the best way. If you find them get everything from the spindle out. Some have even taken the master cylinder and equalizing valve from the doner car. If finding them proves impossible there are often sets on EBAY in the $400 range. Chuck
By MarkMontereyBay - 11 Years Ago
I talked with a local member of the Tbird club last week. He was looking at my 57 Bird asking about the Granada brake conversion I did. He said that one of the club members used a kit from one of the Bird parts retailers to do the conversion. He is having problems with the dual master cylinder being too close to the stock log exhaust manifold. He said it is boiling the brake fluid. I have Sanderson headers so no problem for me but it is something to think about if planning to stay with the stock exhaust manifolds.
So far, I have this kit

http://stores.a-resto-parts.com/catalog/1955-57%20Ford%20T-Bird-Complete.JPG

...and a set of these guys

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Replacement-Control-Arm-Shaft-Kit-/00/s/NzAwWDY0Ng==/z/2tIAAOxyshFRd7Cm/$T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fB(IIBRd7CmB7!Q~~60_3.JPG

...and I just scored a set of Versailles spindles with caliper brackets. I'm going to powdercoat everything and then install all of it at once. Maybe then the car will only use one lane of the interstate at a time.

Thanks for the tip on the MC to header clearance. Does it make any sense to change the remote MC on the booster to a dual circuit or is that not such a good idea?
By paul2748 - 11 Years Ago
CASCO has a extra long heat shield that fits the longer dual master cylinders.
I was going to fabricate a better heat shield, but if Casco has them all the better. That'll leave me more time to order more stuff and spend more of my Social security check on a 57 year old car.
Sometimes you get lucky...

I found a wrecked Versailles (hit in rear). It was 1000 miles away, but I managed to get the spindles, calipers and rotors for $250 shipped to my door. The car must have had a brake job just before it crashed, because the rotors are almost new. I'll rebuild the calipers and wait for winter before I change everything out.

The plan is to run a newer, dual circuit master cylinder on the firewall, and use the remote power booster/MC just for the fronts.
I just finished the conversion on my 57 Bird. On the advice of others on this forum, I used the Granada manual front disc/rear drum dual master cylinder with a Wilwood combo adjustable valve and eliminated the original power booster. Stops just fine without it. Was skeptical at first but no problem.
That's good info. Did you change the bore of the rear cylinders or just rely on the pro valve for balance?
That's good info. Did you change the bore of the rear cylinders or just rely on the prop valve for balance? How did the Granada MC pushrod work with the Tbird pedal?
The original 57Bird rear cylinders and the Granada pushrod. I have yet to try it out on wet pavement as Wilwood suggests but did a series of panic stops on dry pavement and it stops well enough. The master cylinder will have some interference with the battery box. You can modify that or relocate to the trunk like I did. I did this to also leave room for a hydraulic clutch cylinder to be mounted beside the brake master cylinder later when I get around to installing a 5speed manual trans but my 66 year old left knee is starting to complain about that idea.

[/quote]
You need new knees, too, I guess. Mine gave out a few years ago and I haven't had them fixed yet. Too busy with cars...my '56 looks good enough from 30 feet, but there was an underdash fire that the previous owner "forgot" to tell me about. I should have the dash out today so I can start rewiring. I don't want to spend $500 for a dash harness, so it's a DIY deal this weekend.
By skygazer - 11 Years Ago
MarkMontereyBay (4/25/2013)[hr... He is having problems with the dual master cylinder being too close to the stock log exhaust manifold. He said it is boiling the brake fluid....

I bought an inexpensive replica Corvette Disk/Drum MC on the 'bay (with a cool finned cover), along with a combo valve. I ended up cutting a spare brake push rod to fit. Installation pics here. The MC was a close fit with less than an inch clearance from the stock exhaust manifold. An extended heat shield would not fit, due to the width of the Corvette-style MC. I ended up cutting a scrap piece of self-adhesive fiberglass-backed aluminum heat shield material, and applied it to the bottom of the MC. This seems to work well. This week I also had the exhaust manifolds thermally coated, which should reduce the under hood temps.

I'm pretty happy with the Grenada/Corvette setup for the brakes. Even with the front power assist, the brakes require a firm foot. They are, however, consistent and reliable, and I haven't had any fade issues.

I really like the slightly lowered stance from the new spindles and Aerostar springs. I shimmed the lower bump stops and have not experienced any tire-rub. The spindle radius arms are at a different angle than stock, and interfere with the turn stops on the lower a-arm at full lock... this keeps me from getting the tightest possible turning circle. I could trim the turn stops with a grinder, but I haven't noticed any issue with the turning radius so I probably won't bother. I also don't like the idea of cutting on an otherwise stock a-arm. All of the other mods I've done to this car are reversible.
By 312T85Bird - 11 Years Ago
I have the same issue , However using DOT 5 works just fine. Tell the guy to make sure the original heat/drip shield is in place and use DOT 5 not the cheaper fluids.

312T85Bird
By PF Arcand - 11 Years Ago
Just a question re using DOT- 5 brake fluid? Is it compatible with #3 fluid? Or does the entire brake system need to be flushed first?
By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
Paul Dot 5.1 is compatible with Dot 3 and 4. Dot 5 is silicone based and not compatible. So yes if using Dot 5 you need to flush the system.
I installed a dual Master Cylinder on our '57 Bird the part # is M73323 and I use DOT 5 brake fluid with no problems, This Master was recommended by Hill's at the time and I am very satisfied as it will stop as good as disc brakes the first time but since there are no longer good quality shoes out there they will smell terrible and fade the second time you hit them hard until they cool off, but work great under normal conditions. No heat problems with the master cylinder with DOT 5 fluid.

312T85Bird
Sadly I cannot find my research papers, however what I did learn is that on a '57 Thunderbird you need to buy a kit like Hill's sells because of the 14" wheels unless you are not staying stock as we are then you can use 15" wheels and any number of components and the '70 Torino spindles do not need to be modified and you use a GM product caliper. I dug around for months on the inter net and finally found a guy that sent me the listing for the parts needed, he sells a conversion plate (For Caliper mounting) to stock spindles but also makes up kits for conversion so dig alittle and maybe someone else kept their files? I will keep digging thru my pile of stuff to see if I can find my records, the one thing that I kept in my file on our car is the number of the master cylinder that comes in the Thunderbird conversion kit as I was able to find that info seperately and added the Master cylinder (DUAL) and staying with drum brakes(It now stops almost as well as disc. brakes) The number is M73323 with no proportion valve needed or M39495 if larger reservoirs are desired, and I use DOT 5 fluid and have no heat issues with the fluid even after being in a Parade where the engine temp almost spiked. Out on the Rural Roads when having to panic stop due to a deer attempting to cross the road it does the job. One minor modification is to move the battery heat shield within 3/8" of the battery to allow for the best (Tight) bend in the new brake lines. All that said, almost any conversion can be done for about $350.00 if you have a reasonable parts supplier and the Bird kit for 14" wheels on a '57 runs about 12 to 1400.

312T85Bird
Using DOT 5 brake fluid and the standsrd drip shield (Some refer to this as a "Heat Shield") I have no problem using a dual master cylinder on Our '57 Bird. I still run stock drum brakes and as Terry Shay and the Bird guys in Dearborn had told me that it would, it performs as well as disc for quick stops providing that you are not constantly on them because then you will still get some fade (And smell with today's asbestos free shoes) and then we all know that they are not the best if driving thru puddles (But who would, right?) All that just to say "Use DOT 5 Fluid.

312T85Bird
By Tom Compton - 10 Years Ago
Got disc brake kit for my 56 Victoria from Scarebird.  Easy install.