Profile Picture

A Good Idea for all that Y Block Hardware...

Posted By Daniel Jessup 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Stuey,It's Black Strap molassas. Yes it works but it is slow.
WLJ
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I can't imagine how much it would cost to fill even a small vat with Molasses. Probably be cheaper to send the whole batch out for cleaning. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
stuey
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (836 reputation)Supercharged (836 reputation)Supercharged (836 reputation)Supercharged (836 reputation)Supercharged (836 reputation)Supercharged (836 reputation)Supercharged (836 reputation)Supercharged (836 reputation)Supercharged (836 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
thanks WLJ

i'm led to believe horse owners use it.

another word of caution re caustic it eats cam bearings as i found out Sad

stuey
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
If considering doing the molasses bit, do it only on rough blocks or castings and not fully machined ones. If done to a fully machined block, it can destroy the fresh cross-hatching or hone job on the cylinder walls. Yes, I get to see it all here.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Ok Ted, so what do you use to clean parts? I'd give my left n&t for a 25 gallon barrell of the old ZEP. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Daniel Jessup
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 10 minutes ago
For rust removal, some of you guys may have quite the experience and expertise with electrolysis, but I have never tried it before. Usually I take the mechanical action for rust removal (sand blasting or bead blasting in a cabinet) or the occasional "rust converter" chemical. So... this afternoon I filled a tub with several gallons of water, stole some of mama's Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and put in several tablespoons, immersed a crispy intake manifold, put a positive lead on a scrap piece of sheet metal, the negative lead went to the intake manifold, and I plugged in the battery charger on a 2 amp setting. (after I made sure that the two objects/two poles were not touching Tongue)

Immediately I saw bubbles and after 3 minutes you could literally see rust moving across the bucket... Satisfied NICE! Don't know how long this is going to take, but I do know that this intake had a couple of runners with some rust in them. There is quite a bit of rust on the exterior. I will post photos sometime soon when I get my camera unloaded. For those of you that do this kind of thing with an intake manifold when it has so much on the interior, what kind of results can I expect here?

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Daniel Jessup
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 10 minutes ago
Here are a couple of photos...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/d3c68088-e985-493b-93fe-69f8.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/52ff415a-2ae3-4d0d-a23e-a8f1.JPG

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

The Master Cylinder
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Probably goes without saying but just be aware that 200 mili amps (.2 amp) can kill you.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

bird55
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You will also find out you will have a pretty nasty stew left over. Find some gravel parking lot to pour it in. and don't expect to ever grow anything there.

I had mixed results when I tried this. I still ended up having to blast everything. It's still my preferred method. It provides the best (I think) surface for repainting and finishing. my 2 cents.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

Pete 55Tbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I will have to disagree that you have to be careful about dumping the old water/rust/ baking soda. I just pour it out on my lawn. Iron, water NO CHEMICALS WHATSOEVER.

As far as results. To clean inside passages that you can not see into, this works. It is used to clean old iron cannons that have been under the ocean ( salt water) for hundreds of years.

If the electricity scares you get a trickle charger with a GFI or steal your wife's hair dryer that has one on it. Pete

Reading This Topic

Site Meter