Profile Picture

Rebuilding my 1959 highschool 28 rod w/ 292Y power

Posted By The Bat out of hell 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I built my Y-bock power 28 modal A in 1959 for highschool,I took her apart in 1965 when I got my own house and wife,sold off a few parts and stored the rest in the garage and out back,just never got back to rebuilting tell a few years ago,too many racecars and other rods , so now finiely had to hunt replacement parts for those I sold [did't wish to start the rebuild tell I had most of missing parts..Funny how those parts didn't seem a big deal then,but hunting them back up has been a trip,took 3years to find my headlites,I didn't know then they were oneyear only type just b4 ww2 made aftermarket sealbeams bass buckets w/ss rims.
I post update as I go from time to time,I desided to use a 65 Mustang rear end with 4bars this time, cuz I sold off the 49 OLDs one that had like truckarm sub. A good buddy gave me some alum slots,so I'll be using them vs my steely. Turn out the rad is roted out,so I got a new alum one.
I'll be off finding a new driveshaft u-jiont today to link to the mustang rear.

"The Bat" out of hell

50's & 60's hotrodder

retired speed shop owner,built and design hotrods, racecars

airbrush t-shirts, engine balancing

Miami fl.
Attachments
IMAG0484.jpg (2.2K views, 2.00 MB)
The Bat out of hell
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)

Sorry,don't understand y photo don't show? I thought I did it rite.? I do not use nor will I use photobucket so thanks don't tell me that,but would like to know what happened.

"The Bat" out of hell

50's & 60's hotrodder

Miami fl.
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I just opened the picture selected (right click and select copy) and the went to the open reply window and pasted. Its always worked for me.
Nice looking rig to this point. Are you going to box the frame? Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
The Bat out of hell
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes ,I've got to box frame now,too much time has rusted it thinner,just now were near as stiff as it was back in 1959,I have even replaced a few spots with new steel.I made my new the drive shaft today,old shaft for the OLDs rear I sold off in 65.I tryed that stuff but it still don't work onphoto 4me shoot,guess you'll just need to click on picjpg thingy to open it=it a photo of the shaft I just built in place on tranny and rear

"The Bat" out of hell

50's & 60's hotrodder

Miami fl.
Attachments
IMG_2713.JPG (1.8K views, 1.00 MB)
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

What kind of cars did you race? Looks like a late model modified in your picture. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
"The Bat"out of hell (3/2/2013)
Sorry,don't understand y photo don't show? I thought I did it rite.? I do not use nor will I use photobucket so thanks don't tell me that,but would like to know what happened.

Did you try the picture posting instructions at the top of the This-N-That section?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost34535.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

The Bat out of hell
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Chuck,I raced nearly anything and every thing over the years starting in 1957 SCCA "H"mod,Sailboats,pedalbikes,but ya mostly Oval track starting in 1959 with a Hudson then some Y-block Fords ,and all the class's,like doing the latemodal mods,drove for others and also built and drove my own=run out of $ fast. Mini stocks was afordible and enjoyed doing those too. Hot rods have always been there too 4 me,Addmitt to being total car nut.

Thanks Ted,I'll read that too.

"The Bat" out of hell

50's & 60's hotrodder

Miami fl.
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

We share a lot of interests. I started hanging about a local dirt track racers garage when I was about 14. He was running a modified Hudson in a tube chassis cut down model A sedan. This was about 1957 and the car had all the bells and whistles. Quick change rear, in and out box etc. Drive was Al Baldus from Kansas City, Mo. It was a real break to get to start out with a top notch local team and a time I will never forget. That started a passion for all sorts of racing and Hot rodding that still burns brightly. My first car purchase was a 57 Ford Fairlane convertible with a 312 automatic.

I joined the Army in 1963 and spent 22 years traveling the world. This made a big dent in my car passion as far as building a car or joining a race team. But it really broadened my experience. I attended hill climbs in england, went to several Grand Prix circuits, did some drag racing at local tracks everywhere from New England to Germany and even played with motor cycles for a bit. I've almost always had some sort of performance Ford.

In 66 I bought a new Fairlane GT convertible with the HiPo 390, 4 speed, and 4:11 gears. Had a lot of fun with it up and down the East coast. In 69 I traded the 66 for a new Fairlane Cobra 428 Super Cobra Jet. The car was a factory race prepped car with acid dipped fenders, doors, trunk and hood. It had carpet laid over bare floor with no padding and no seam sealer anywhere. Ran 12.2 108mph that was on the National record for the time. As my luck would have it 3 months later me, the car and my family were in northern Germany. I certainly missed drag racing such a competitive car back in the states. BUT there is no replacing the memories created by having one of the "bad'est" cars in Germany at the time. There was a Mopar Hemi down near Frankfurt but we never showed up at the same race at the same time. Always wanted to run him and I heard he had the same wish. So after 3 years of scaring the pants off of Conrad (the Germans) it was back to the states. Traded the Cobra for a 66 Hurts 350H but thats another story.

In my travels I've pitted at the strip for Pro Stocks, Funny cars, and various dragsters and stockers. Worked on and/or pitted on Hobby stock, Street Stock, Sportsman, Modifieds, Late Models and Sprint cars.

Now its just me and the Y's Guys with my 56 Vicky "MoonShadow" with engine by Eaton and a 28 Chrysler roadster that is getting a 354 Hemi this spring (I hope). But, as with all the other racing years, I'm having the time of my life! Chuck

Y's guys rule!

The Bat out of hell
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Another try here for posting photos,going to follow Teds link/instrucions;

while in the editing mode, select the icon with the mountain and sun in it." OK did that;", nothing happened,then after a lot of trys, I got this;

Link Image
The URL for the image you wish to display...

Upload Images
What is this above? It sure is not a "BROWSE"?

2. Select “Browse” in the popup window,;"Nope no Browse window comes up at all,but dose on other web sites like HAMB?" < there is my prob?

3. Go to the directory where you keep your pictures.

4. Select your picture. Downsized works best. Too large may be too big period.

5. Select “Open”

6. Select “Add Image”. Do not use the link bar in this instance.

7. Wait a bit if you’re on dialup…. This could take a couple of minutes as your picture (if not inordinately large) is being downsized and uploaded to the site from your computer.

8. Then popup window goes away and the picture starts to display within the editing window.

9. When the picture is fully displayed, hit the enter key (hard return) and add more text if desired under the picture.

10. Select “Post Reply” and the updated thread should then display with your picture in it.

"The Bat" out of hell

50's & 60's hotrodder

Miami fl.
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
MoonShadow (3/4/2013)
We share a lot of interests. I started hanging about a local dirt track racers garage when I was about 14. He was running a modified Hudson in a tube chassis cut down model A sedan. This was about 1957 and the car had all the bells and whistles. Quick change rear, in and out box etc. Drive was Al Baldus from Kansas City, Mo. It was a real break to get to start out with a top notch local team and a time I will never forget. That started a passion for all sorts of racing and Hot rodding that still burns brightly. My first car purchase was a 57 Ford Fairlane convertible with a 312 automatic.

I joined the Army in 1963 and spent 22 years traveling the world. This made a big dent in my car passion as far as building a car or joining a race team. But it really broadened my experience. I attended hill climbs in england, went to several Grand Prix circuits, did some drag racing at local tracks everywhere from New England to Germany and even played with motor cycles for a bit. I've almost always had some sort of performance Ford.

In 66 I bought a new Fairlane GT convertible with the HiPo 390, 4 speed, and 4:11 gears. Had a lot of fun with it up and down the East coast. In 69 I traded the 66 for a new Fairlane Cobra 428 Super Cobra Jet. The car was a factory race prepped car with acid dipped fenders, doors, trunk and hood. It had carpet laid over bare floor with no padding and no seam sealer anywhere. Ran 12.2 108mph that was on the National record for the time. As my luck would have it 3 months later me, the car and my family were in northern Germany. I certainly missed drag racing such a competitive car back in the states. BUT there is no replacing the memories created by having one of the "bad'est" cars in Germany at the time. There was a Mopar Hemi down near Frankfurt but we never showed up at the same race at the same time. Always wanted to run him and I heard he had the same wish. So after 3 years of scaring the pants off of Conrad (the Germans) it was back to the states. Traded the Cobra for a 66 Hurts 350H but thats another story.

In my travels I've pitted at the strip for Pro Stocks, Funny cars, and various dragsters and stockers. Worked on and/or pitted on Hobby stock, Street Stock, Sportsman, Modifieds, Late Models and Sprint cars.

Now its just me and the Y's Guys with my 56 Vicky "MoonShadow" with engine by Eaton and a 28 Chrysler roadster that is getting a 354 Hemi this spring (I hope). But, as with all the other racing years, I'm having the time of my life! Chuck

CHUCK, Glad to read your story and get an insight to the man, other members should do the same or at least fill in their profile details. Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter