Rebuilding my 1959 highschool 28 rod w/ 292Y power

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic80162.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By The Bat out of hell - 11 Years Ago
I built my Y-bock power 28 modal A in 1959 for highschool,I took her apart in 1965 when I got my own house and wife,sold off a few parts and stored the rest in the garage and out back,just never got back to rebuilting tell a few years ago,too many racecars and other rods , so now finiely had to hunt replacement parts for those I sold [did't wish to start the rebuild tell I had most of missing parts..Funny how those parts didn't seem a big deal then,but hunting them back up has been a trip,took 3years to find my headlites,I didn't know then they were oneyear only type just b4 ww2 made aftermarket sealbeams bass buckets w/ss rims.
I post update as I go from time to time,I desided to use a 65 Mustang rear end with 4bars this time, cuz I sold off the 49 OLDs one that had like truckarm sub. A good buddy gave me some alum slots,so I'll be using them vs my steely. Turn out the rad is roted out,so I got a new alum one.
I'll be off finding a new driveshaft u-jiont today to link to the mustang rear.
Sorry,don't understand y photo don't show? I thought I did it rite.? I do not use nor will I use photobucket so thanks don't tell me that,but would like to know what happened.
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
I just opened the picture selected (right click and select copy) and the went to the open reply window and pasted. Its always worked for me.
Nice looking rig to this point. Are you going to box the frame? Chuck
Yes ,I've got to box frame now,too much time has rusted it thinner,just now were near as stiff as it was back in 1959,I have even replaced a few spots with new steel.I made my new the drive shaft today,old shaft for the OLDs rear I sold off in 65.I tryed that stuff but it still don't work onphoto 4me shoot,guess you'll just need to click on picjpg thingy to open it=it a photo of the shaft I just built in place on tranny and rear
What kind of cars did you race? Looks like a late model modified in your picture. Chuck

Chuck,I raced nearly anything and every thing over the years starting in 1957 SCCA "H"mod,Sailboats,pedalbikes,but ya mostly Oval track starting in 1959 with a Hudson then some Y-block Fords ,and all the class's,like doing the latemodal mods,drove for others and also built and drove my own=run out of $ fast. Mini stocks was afordible and enjoyed doing those too. Hot rods have always been there too 4 me,Addmitt to being total car nut.

Thanks Ted,I'll read that too.
We share a lot of interests. I started hanging about a local dirt track racers garage when I was about 14. He was running a modified Hudson in a tube chassis cut down model A sedan. This was about 1957 and the car had all the bells and whistles. Quick change rear, in and out box etc. Drive was Al Baldus from Kansas City, Mo. It was a real break to get to start out with a top notch local team and a time I will never forget. That started a passion for all sorts of racing and Hot rodding that still burns brightly. My first car purchase was a 57 Ford Fairlane convertible with a 312 automatic.

I joined the Army in 1963 and spent 22 years traveling the world. This made a big dent in my car passion as far as building a car or joining a race team. But it really broadened my experience. I attended hill climbs in england, went to several Grand Prix circuits, did some drag racing at local tracks everywhere from New England to Germany and even played with motor cycles for a bit. I've almost always had some sort of performance Ford.

In 66 I bought a new Fairlane GT convertible with the HiPo 390, 4 speed, and 4:11 gears. Had a lot of fun with it up and down the East coast. In 69 I traded the 66 for a new Fairlane Cobra 428 Super Cobra Jet. The car was a factory race prepped car with acid dipped fenders, doors, trunk and hood. It had carpet laid over bare floor with no padding and no seam sealer anywhere. Ran 12.2 108mph that was on the National record for the time. As my luck would have it 3 months later me, the car and my family were in northern Germany. I certainly missed drag racing such a competitive car back in the states. BUT there is no replacing the memories created by having one of the "bad'est" cars in Germany at the time. There was a Mopar Hemi down near Frankfurt but we never showed up at the same race at the same time. Always wanted to run him and I heard he had the same wish. So after 3 years of scaring the pants off of Conrad (the Germans) it was back to the states. Traded the Cobra for a 66 Hurts 350H but thats another story.

In my travels I've pitted at the strip for Pro Stocks, Funny cars, and various dragsters and stockers. Worked on and/or pitted on Hobby stock, Street Stock, Sportsman, Modifieds, Late Models and Sprint cars.

Now its just me and the Y's Guys with my 56 Vicky "MoonShadow" with engine by Eaton and a 28 Chrysler roadster that is getting a 354 Hemi this spring (I hope). But, as with all the other racing years, I'm having the time of my life! Chuck
Another try here for posting photos,going to follow Teds link/instrucions;

while in the editing mode, select the icon with the mountain and sun in it." OK did that;", nothing happened,then after a lot of trys, I got this;

Link Image
The URL for the image you wish to display...

Upload Images
What is this above? It sure is not a "BROWSE"?

2. Select “Browse” in the popup window,;"Nope no Browse window comes up at all,but dose on other web sites like HAMB?" < there is my prob?

3. Go to the directory where you keep your pictures.

4. Select your picture. Downsized works best. Too large may be too big period.

5. Select “Open”

6. Select “Add Image”. Do not use the link bar in this instance.

7. Wait a bit if you’re on dialup…. This could take a couple of minutes as your picture (if not inordinately large) is being downsized and uploaded to the site from your computer.

8. Then popup window goes away and the picture starts to display within the editing window.

9. When the picture is fully displayed, hit the enter key (hard return) and add more text if desired under the picture.

10. Select “Post Reply” and the updated thread should then display with your picture in it.

By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
MoonShadow (3/4/2013)
We share a lot of interests. I started hanging about a local dirt track racers garage when I was about 14. He was running a modified Hudson in a tube chassis cut down model A sedan. This was about 1957 and the car had all the bells and whistles. Quick change rear, in and out box etc. Drive was Al Baldus from Kansas City, Mo. It was a real break to get to start out with a top notch local team and a time I will never forget. That started a passion for all sorts of racing and Hot rodding that still burns brightly. My first car purchase was a 57 Ford Fairlane convertible with a 312 automatic.

I joined the Army in 1963 and spent 22 years traveling the world. This made a big dent in my car passion as far as building a car or joining a race team. But it really broadened my experience. I attended hill climbs in england, went to several Grand Prix circuits, did some drag racing at local tracks everywhere from New England to Germany and even played with motor cycles for a bit. I've almost always had some sort of performance Ford.

In 66 I bought a new Fairlane GT convertible with the HiPo 390, 4 speed, and 4:11 gears. Had a lot of fun with it up and down the East coast. In 69 I traded the 66 for a new Fairlane Cobra 428 Super Cobra Jet. The car was a factory race prepped car with acid dipped fenders, doors, trunk and hood. It had carpet laid over bare floor with no padding and no seam sealer anywhere. Ran 12.2 108mph that was on the National record for the time. As my luck would have it 3 months later me, the car and my family were in northern Germany. I certainly missed drag racing such a competitive car back in the states. BUT there is no replacing the memories created by having one of the "bad'est" cars in Germany at the time. There was a Mopar Hemi down near Frankfurt but we never showed up at the same race at the same time. Always wanted to run him and I heard he had the same wish. So after 3 years of scaring the pants off of Conrad (the Germans) it was back to the states. Traded the Cobra for a 66 Hurts 350H but thats another story.

In my travels I've pitted at the strip for Pro Stocks, Funny cars, and various dragsters and stockers. Worked on and/or pitted on Hobby stock, Street Stock, Sportsman, Modifieds, Late Models and Sprint cars.

Now its just me and the Y's Guys with my 56 Vicky "MoonShadow" with engine by Eaton and a 28 Chrysler roadster that is getting a 354 Hemi this spring (I hope). But, as with all the other racing years, I'm having the time of my life! Chuck

CHUCK, Glad to read your story and get an insight to the man, other members should do the same or at least fill in their profile details. Smile
Thanks Ted,I'll try that too.
Been getten a lot done this past weekend,was 90* here in Miami with 40 MPH winds.I stuck my two bbl carb manifold on to get her running again right away back when I cleaned up my old Y-block,cuz I had sold 2x4 set up back in 1965,Been thinking about finding a late 4bbl intake for running after I got her a little more done. I'm not going to be using the nice duel EX stock manifolds so maybe can trade some one for a Holley 4bbl. intake manifold.? Been work every weekend pretty hard on my old baby with help from my buddy John Fenner and we got body to the point of test fitting here in photo,so put it back in my garage as I do a lot adjusting and triming by my self for a few weeks. My headers I made from the old Chevys came out good,you can see were I wedage the center pipes apart enough to match Ford Y-block ports, Well lets see if this works for updated photo. WOWthe photo showed by linking,cool I can show you all stuff.
Well I just staired at it for two days cuz something didn't seem right to me,and I'm the one I need to plazzs. So cut the floor back out and redid it so body is more like I remember it being now that so many years went by and lots of metal rusted away and now got replace again.
There are a lot of new aftermarket parts available for the Y. John Mummert has aluminum intakes and heads! Check him out at:

http://www.ford-y-block.com/

Chuck
Thanks Moonshadow,but low bucks keeps that out of reach,just need to keep hunting and trading stuff like always.
With the Y-Block parts market climbing in recent years the cost of the desired items seems out of control. A modern style 4BBL intake can cost upwards of $100. The Mummert intake is a proven design, see Ted Eatons extensive dyno tests on intakes and exhausts. So for me, also retired, it was a matter of saving some money to get the right stuff. I do love your car and the engine looks pretty darn good the way it is now.

Also, try making a list of the parts you are looking for and post it here in the for sale area as wanted. You never know what the guys on this forum have laying around. Chuck
Much later at some point I'll have enough done on a side project for my old rod , to put a 2V belt driven 471 superchager [or a Roush off a newer car]on my 292Y-block,here is the refabed crank pulley,I cut the front damper pulley off and reshaped the inside so I co0uld put a BBC 3V pulley in place and with a alum spacer to lock it in with two big bolts to Ford holes. I only work on this stuff every now and then cuz there a lot of things to make,for drive belts and pop-off ect.
How to make a homemade Y-block supercharger intake !Here is at lest one uses of a old 2bbl "Y" intake,I milled off the top flat and opened up a fairly big hole,built a 1x1in. sq. box to fit top of hole and welded it there/also plugs off EX hearter,this box then can be drilled and taped for a big 1/2in. alum plate to mount 471 too.
Pop off will be added to intake as well.
Her you see a cardboard muck up of alum plate mount for 471.
Randy Gummelt did that with an old dual 4 aluminum manifold. Came out pretty good. And there is a fellow on here from Australia that has just made new blower casting based on the Cragar. They are $970 plus shipping but considering the last two I saw went for over $4000! The only thing I like better than a McCullouch/Paxton on a Y-Block is a 4-71. Chuck

MoonS,I like that Paxton set WOW nice,I had one on my 65 Study Lark Daytona,long gone now,hot set up in that Lark. I only have a old 2x4 Y-block that is for a 1954 v8 239,didn't wish to cut that up and those are small ports,or any other good type intake for that matter,so 2bbl works fine for me.
Still would really like to get a late 4bbl intake to run tell I get all this crazy supercharger stuff done in a few years,not in a rush on the super project,too much work still to do on rod too.
Here is a shot of a tunnelram top I got very cheep-O,guy was asking $30 I gave it too him with out even offering less ,was thinking about it being on top of 471 with 2 small carbs.Cool I have my fav. old part too,my Spalding Ign. you can see in this photo,that will also be back on my rod again at some point,just need to get it all going again for now though.
I'm starting to think we are meeting in the same dreams! I'm saving my beans now to try and get one of Lindsays intakes. I have most of the rest including the 4-71 and if that isn't enough I also picked up a 6V-71. It will fit with a simple adapter plate. Current plan is to run one carb, at least to start. I really want this setup to be fully streetable. I'm also seeking wisdom as I know nothing about these blower setups. Unfortunately there are no Y-Block "go fast" guys in my area. A lot of stockers and some serious "I want to be judged" cars but nothing in the competition arena. The one fellow I had, who really reminded me of Ted, died of a stroke last year. Only in his 50's but he built a lot of race engines for dragsters and circle track cars all over the country. He's missed. Chuck
Here is a better up close of how the headers came out,these are the SBChevy headers I cut the chevy flange off and added Y-Ford flange too,after spreading center pipes to match Y ports.
Got only a little done this weekend,found good fit rad hose for top and bottom and also the clamps. Started working on designing so new brake and clutch pedals with MC mount,this with replace my swing set up with under floor design this time around to clean up fire wall look and keep me from having to find losted parts of old pedals that I didn't like that well anyway. Will post photos of them after I have other then cardborad cut outs to show.
Got most stuff fitted up again in what looks right to me.
To get a duelmaster cly update vs my old one. I designed underfloor brake and mec clutch box=a kind of all in one Z-bar deel.,I did look around,but didn't like much of the ones that are out there. As i'm updating from swing to under floor and adding a duelmastercly vs old one piston. The clutch pedal pivets on a tube that goes across to other side of box and has a small arm that pulls Y-block bellhousing arm backward.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/39fe67dd-b1b5-4699-834b-901b.jpgChecking for rad fan shroud size.
To get a new duelmaster brake into my roadster,I designed and built this set up,the clutch pedal axle tube cross over and has a small arm=a Z-bar but behind vs in front of bell housing arm so it pulls back.http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1810&pictureid=20585
My old tail lights needed some work too,so to replace the rusted up scockets and add some new lenzs,I got a set of trailer lights from HF at $9.99,this gave me the parts needed for my update by gutting tialer lite and building some new brackets for sockets. The new lenzs give me a chance to used the bigger and briter side of these old lights vs smaller darker red glass lenz side I had used before,seems like a good idea with the extra cars on the road now to light up the back as much as I can. I put photo of my light work but it show only as atachmint below that you can cleck on to see,I haven't fig out why it didn't just show?I must of missed clicking on something.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/43f2fca9-4cf6-4611-8d78-ec00.jpg
Had to redo my inhead water temp sending unit bung,so I could put mec. fitting into it,drill and retap to bigger size. I had forgot it was a press in head bung-thinking it was screwed in.,so it came out when I tryed to tap,but stayed in place long enough to drill. Darn,at lest it opened up so I could suck out with vac filings[vac add of a small hose adtachmint]. Ended up making a new bung and adding fitting before pressing back in.
Got the 1948 frontend in my 1928 "A" http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/fe8418f2-2cf4-4090-90ab-d2bc.jpgback together,cleaned up well.

****I'm looking for older 4100 4bbl carb to rebuild,its OK if its locked up,I can fix that,don't need chock stuff at all. thanks
I desided to move my plate mount from under the left tailight to centered on the rear. I'm adding a 1928/31 folding luggage rack behind beerkeg gas tank on some temp brackets that will hold in place by two big wingnuts. This is going to be so I can bring along my wifes wheelchair to shows for her to come along. The plate would not be seen as EZ if I left it in it's old spot.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/fc897d83-4146-4542-9ca6-4941.jpgI"m trying to find a 4bbl carb 4100 I can rebuild,don't matter if froze up,I fix that,don't need any chock stuff ether,for my 292Y
My old Ford Y-block motor has been hiding in the corner of garage for many years doing nothing.
Some times they don't like to wake up!
Stubburn but she goes,did not wish too!, We pumped up oil psi before trying to run,.
Had not run at all for 3 years,and then only for 2 min. on the floor on blocks,before that I'm guessing it had not been running for around 30 years +. I'm happy about it now,great oil PSI,45# @ 180*. She'll need the valves adjusted and another carb. yet.Plus a water pump/its leaking some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3_gbWIvY
Have you ever heard one of the old rotary airplane engines start? Sure made me think of them. Certainly is a nice looking rebuild you've got going there. Chuck
Thanks Chuck,After the gal burned off the lube I had done in the clys to store her,she stopped smoking 4 the most part and smoothed out some. But carb is junk,so is the water pump. Little things to fix.
After little more playing around,She starts up now nicely,but smoke seems to be going away slowly,maybe rigs will get to working again after a few hot and cold times running..
The 2bbl intake and carb that I had put on to get the 292 to run,was not excatly as good as said by the guy I got it from,but I'm sure he didn't know that who ever had rebuilt the 2bbl carb,had left out the check ball under the booster screw=thats why carb was working funny. Even funnyer is I found the ball just raddeling around in exc.pump housing,and yes the other ball was in place as it should be behind the pump. Werid but fixed
Got the body back onto the frame,and bolted down,mounted the seatbelt clips too,cuz there also bolted to frame mounts and body.
my photo didn't show ,I don't know why,but I guess its a link or something to it????of the Ford alt. that I have two of,would like to figout a way to use one with out pending more then $ 30 if it can be done?Its been a trip to the passed as I remeber some things I forgot after trying to do it again,ton of fun! These no fiberglass now or then,but have some glazzing puddy to smooth out some rust pits that seem a lot deeper now. Next thing to find or make some how is alternator working and some glass for windsheild. The hotrod piggy bank is really getting low,so my plan 4 a new one wire Alt. is out,I'll need to fig a way of using stock Ford Alt. I have and find a Ford reg for it. Along with other little stuff on my list,getting closer to a good old time ride around!.
Always like using stuff I have saved when it can look great and not cost anything kind of.
My buddy Rosh was working out at Miami Int. Airport some years back,when they were tearing down one of old artdeco buildings. He saw them trashing out a stainless steel wall and was able to save some of it for me,knowing I love old shiny stuff. This stuff is got dimples made into it,so it looks very industrial kind of like big rivets,very cool looking for the time.
I talked a little about the firewall we did for my son's "T" out of a peace of this stuff also,I'm going to do the same thing to my own and also the back panel that was shiny alum in 1959 but gone bad now. You can see in other old photos in thread the back of rod were the old shiny alum did show. This stainless should be better on both firewall and rear. The photo below shows a cleaned up part of the scrap Rosh got for me years ago from Airport wall,and beside it a cut to fit part for rear of my rod. Holly crap this stuff is hard to cut,used up 5 cut off wheels and two bandsaw blades.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/0e43099f-3085-4f16-b539-437e.JPGThe photo is of the firewall part of the old artdeco stainless inplace as I'm working on it. Now days I think the young guys call it bling!
By pintoplumber - 11 Years Ago
That looks pretty good.
A little at a time!An old racing buddy came by to look at my rod,an offered to make the glass for my windshield,wow,I gave him my 28A roadster frame to take with him and he returned with some glass in it. I know he tryed hard,but it was not fitting right and he bent the frame gitting in. I saw it but said nothing but WOW thanks and after took it out and fixed the frame,plus got some new 80grit disk and very slowly with out getting it hot,ground down about 1/4in. lumps,6 of them tell it fit right now. These little thing are very nice of my feneids to do for me,so no way I'm going to tell him anything but thank you,with out his help,I'd be with out glass for many months saving up $ for it[around $150+ I think} was a free-B,COOL.
Started trying to do the wood lip around the rear of cockpit,so it will both hold snaps for top and the upholstery under it. I looked at some Oak to do it with,but cost was 3x what popluer was,,going to stain it anyway to kind of match steeringwheel ,dash and rear rackhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/e7e13a18-e667-4702-8e00-8bfc.JPG
Got it stained and varnished to my liking at lest,seems to match up Ok with the steeringwheel.

Something I don't understand is going on photo wise,all I got that time was a line to click on??
By stuey - 11 Years Ago
Hi

getting small pic in another window!

nice looking project

all the best

stuey
Playing with wiring today,its pretty simple on this rod. Got all the motor stuff done,an dash with fuse panel,but need to run headlights and tail lights sunday.

?I don't know what I'm not doing that I was before,but the photos showed and now they don't=just a click line instead? Is there some step I now miss?
After a few weeks of sanding and filler,over and over,I got to spray some high gloss BLACK on the old gal.
OK? now I can't find any place to try and post a photo at all,is it hiding some how???
By slick56 - 11 Years Ago
" now I can't find any place to try and post a photo at all,is it hiding some how???[/quote]

There has been a problem with the site for the last month or so. Apparently the tech guys are working on it.
Thanks Slick56,I was really woundering,I'm not at all sharp with these sites anyway,some I know how to work OK,so was thinking it could just be me not even knowing what to look fore.
By Hoosier Hurricane - 11 Years Ago
Bat:

Sorta reminds me of a guy I used to work beside in a dealership in the '60s. You would tear a carb all apart, put the parts in a basket, and lower it into a 5 gal bucket of cleaner. After taking the basket out of the bucket and rinsing everything off, when you weren't looking he would walk by and drop an extra check ball in your basket. He never took any parts out, only put extra in.
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
"The Bat"out of hell (3/2/2013)
Sorry,don't understand y photo don't show? I thought I did it rite.? I do not use nor will I use photobucket so thanks don't tell me that,but would like to know what happened.

Did you try the picture posting instructions at the top of the This-N-That section?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost34535.aspx

By Ted - 11 Years Ago
"The Bat"out of hell (3/4/2013)
Another try here for posting photos,going to follow Teds link/instrucions;

The new forum software has an added feature I didn't see on the old software and that's another selection option in the "Edit Image" pop up window. On the left side of the window, the default option is "Link Image" but if you'll select "Upload Images", this should do the trick for you. I also looked at that original picture that you added as an attachment and it's way too big for a normal upload. If you'll downsize it first to a reasonable byte size, the site will load it easier. 500 byte size in any direction is the sites default max size for posting.