Profile Picture

Jerry Unser's 57 Fairlane for sale

Posted By John Mummert 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
From Craigslist San Diego. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3626183575.html
Advertised as the world's rarest 57 Fairlane this is said to be the car that averaged 107MPH for 51,403 miles at Bonneville in September 1956.
Interesting piece of history for only a buck and quarter.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/f278c14d-780b-4751-bcfe-232f.jpg

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

texasmark1
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
WOW

"God Bless Texas"location: Houston,TX
RB
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
For that kind of money it better have a Mummert tuned Y block
PF Arcand
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Interesting, but I'm a bit confused. I've never seen the article in Life, although I'm aware of it. However, I was under the impresson that 2 cars were used in the assault & setting of the several national & international records. Maybe someone can clarify that point.. Apparently, the late Jerry Unser had quite a year with the new 1957 Fords, by winning the USAC Stock car championship & the stock car class at Pikes Peak. Also that year, he won the first stock car race held at Riverside raceway.

Paul
Doug T
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
SN 1000009 a very early production number!

Just a WAG at how fast they were really going. They took exactly 20 days and couldn't have been getting that good milage so say refueling every 200 mi. That would take under 2 hours to reach so 12 times a day. Plus tires every 2500 miles or once a day. So they were probably on the salt running about 22 hours a day which means actually running about 117 mph. Fast but boring probably.

Didn't FoMoCo do the same thing in the '60s with 289 Comets?

Doug T

The Highlands, Louisville, Ky.

NoShortcuts
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Interesting data plate to me with the 'M'...

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
bird55
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Great to see a piece of history like that. Doug, seems like I do remember something like that with the 289 Comets?
I like the way it was "restored" not overdone. I hope it goes somewhere that we all get the chance to see it firsthand.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

YBLOCKMERC
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Doug T (2/19/2013)
SN 1000009 a very early production number!

Just a WAG at how fast they were really going. They took exactly 20 days and couldn't have been getting that good milage so say refueling every 200 mi. That would take under 2 hours to reach so 12 times a day. Plus tires every 2500 miles or once a day. So they were probably on the salt running about 22 hours a day which means actually running about 117 mph. Fast but boring probably.

Didn't FoMoCo do the same thing in the '60s with 289 Comets?

Yes, they started with 6 Comets at Daytona Raceway, 5 finished - one broke a valve spring. Ran 100,000 miles @ 106 mph.

I'd never heard of the run in the '57 with a Y. Very impressive on a flat track with a heavy car. The pics in the ad didn't look like it had seat belts. Can that be?

Marc
'54 Merc ragtop
Pt Townsend, WA   
      http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e83cf74f-a3dc-4e1a-a928-8075.jpg                                                                                                                             

MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
After all those miles on a flat track the NASCAR races must have felt like a sprint. No wonder he did so well that year. He must have known the feel of a 57 like his wife. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
ecode ragtop
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I would like to find out more about this car. By the I.D. tag as I read it, and I could be wrong! The car was built on Sept. 14th and The record run was started on Sept. 9th. The M in the I.D. tag is an unknowen and the SS in body color and interior is strange because the car was black and yellow both factory colors. So why a special SS on the tag. Also I think by the vacuum line under the round air cleaner, these were automatic carbs and not standard. I would also think that early a car would have had a oval air cleaner, but since it was not a E code ,I am only guessing. The one thing I will bet on ,they would have used a large Purolator type air cleaner. I had also been told buy an oldtimer, that The 2 sedans were single four barrel cars, while the convert. that was used in the speed runs was a 2x4 car. There were 12 different drivers used in these tests. The 3 that are listed in the artical are Danny O'Brien, Chuck Stevenson and Danny Eames. I would like to be able to find out the rest of the other drivers. My 57 E code Sunliner came from the Unser family salvage yard in N.M.

JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD!!! TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR 57 FORD INTERNATIONAL

Reading This Topic

Site Meter