Profile Picture

Jerry Unser's 57 Fairlane for sale

Posted By John Mummert 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Paul, You are right there were 2 cars used in the endurance run. Also just before the endurance run these two cars and a convert. set 57 different records for acceleration, on the Bonneville straight course. The Black and Yellow Ford and The Blue and White Ford had broken every record from one mile to 50,000 miles. 458 new national and International records were set.

JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD!!! TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR 57 FORD INTERNATIONAL
Jim Wright
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
View the Life magazine article at http://books.google.com/books?id=s0EEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=%22The+Longest+Left+Turn+In+History%22#v=onepage&q=%22The%20Longest%20Left%20Turn%20In%20History%22&f=false
If that doesn't work, search for "The Longest Left Turn In History". Include the quotes around the phrase when you put it in google.
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 hours ago

That ‘M’ in the VIN is indeed a nuance and makes me want to hear more details on this particular car. That 130 mph speedometer is also a nice touch. I’ll add that the production date on the build tag is the scheduled date and does not necessarily match the exact day the cars are actually built.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Fairlane Mike
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
The "M" caught my eye too, being an old Ford parts counter man, that serial number is not a typical one! I wonder if it stands for modified, and the low sequence number too. The "SS" on the paint and interior codes; more like a delete, but who knows. The car may have been a pre-production hand built, also note it only had the upper spear on the side mouldings and the "Fairlane 500" scripts are missing on the 1/4 panels! I would venture to say the car is full of unique details, e,g the speedo dial. I would love to spend some time looking it over. Unfortunately, it appears to have had some "restoration" work done; painted fender bolts, also what appears to be a late style heavy rib top tank radiator and a strange looking ignition coil. Nice piece though, glad it survived, did Ford give it to Unser; what was the disposition of the car after the "salt" settled?
slumlord444
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
The side trim is wrong. Pre production or modified later on?
PF Arcand
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Just speculation, but I'm wondering if one of the cars used for the Bonneville records, might have also been used later for Unser's USAC racing? Apparently in mid 1957, after Ford pulled the plug on their racing programs, per AMA agreement, Hot Rod Mag sponsered his car. Yeah, hard to believe now, since Chevrolet has had their attention almost exclusively in the last 15 years or more. But, my point is that in 1958, Unser who had been injured previously & was not entirely well, entered Pikes Peak again with a 57 Ford, but lost control & rolled it. It might explain why only one car is being sold & advertised as the "record car".

Paul
ecode ragtop
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Paul, The 57 that Jerry drove at Pikes Peak was a custom style body and was sponsered by Hot Rod Magizine,the endurance car was a Fairlane body, also the car that Jerry won the 57 U.S.A.C. championship was a custom body sponsored by Lodge spark plugs. The usac car was built by DePalo eng, sold to Holman Moody and Ralph Moody came in 2nd in the U.S.A.C. standings. Tom

JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD!!! TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR 57 FORD INTERNATIONAL
Y block Billy
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
This site is just too much a wealth of information and I hope I can pass half this info on to my grandsons!

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

Dennis K.
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Re Patent Plate Paint Codes and VIN ...

An assumption made is the patent plate is original.

The 49-57 Ford Parts Book indicates paint code S = Special. In earlier years, SS = Special Paints.

Re VIN number: M7F 100009

M (Engine) Being such as early car, the 1956 engine code may of still been used.

7 (Model Year) = 1957

F (Assy Plant) = Dearborn

Blank (Body Style) = Blank The unique trim may explain the blank body code?

100009 = Consecutive Unit Number

I looked thru my internal paperwork collection and there is a VIN listed with the same Assy Plt and CUN, which I assume is this car as:

"C7FT100009 Horton, driver"

C would be a 292 2V, F= Dearborn, and T= Fairlane/Fairlane 500 Sedan

Any idea who driver "Horton" is? The name is also assigned for driving a convertible. I looked thru a copy of "Dust and the Glory" and the name doesn't appear anywhere.

Re engine code, it wasn't unusual for Ford to use an incorrect engine code on early models. I've seen it occur on early Lightweight Galaxies, Thunderbolts, and 68 Lightweight CJ Mustangs. I think this may of had more to do with the code not yet set up in the system or the punch not yet being available.

Wonder what the VIN is stamped on the frame? Is there a way to find out?

Regards,

Dennis
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
Dennis. Thanks for the additional info. That M engine code makes more sense now and especially with this car potentially being a very early production car.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter