Profile Picture

Best oil in a y-block?

Posted By BudMan 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
What is the best oil to run in a y-block engine after it is broken in? I will break the engine in using Joe Gibbs break-in oil but after that, what is the best oil for normal street use? I will be firing this engine up this spring and at that time, I will probably ask about break-in procedures. Thanks!

BudMan

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty
yehaabill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Budman:     Welcome and you do realize you've just "Opened that can of Worms"

I'am sure you will recieve the answer you're looking for.....

Bill

Pelham,Al

PF Arcand
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
As Bill says, you will get a dozen opinions on what oil you should use. Generally speaking, avoid oils with the "sunburst" gear on the label as they are intended for modern engines with roller valve trains, and most are reduced in ZDDP additive. Beyond that..??

Paul
mctim64
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Brad Penn, Valvoline VR-1, Wal Mart 10w-40 what ever you like as long as the wt is 40 or above when it has an API SM rating.  Try Wolfs Head Golden 40wt, it'll never let you down!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

1964fordf100292
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I would suggest using a deisel or race rated oils. These have the higher amount of zddp whicb will help protect your cam. The newer oils have a lesser amount of zddp due to it harms the cats in the exhaust system. If i remember correctly, in the starburst on an oil container, you dont wanna use anything that is sm, due to lower zddp content, unless you use a zddp additive.oreillys has a zddp additive.
Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Just my 2 cents worth, but I have been using Amsoil 100% synthetic Premium 10-40 for years now without any problems. That particular oil is formulated with extra ZDDP and made for flat tappet motors. You can look up the specs on their website.

Rono.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

312T85Bird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Yep it can be a can of worms that is for sure. After much research and trial and error of different oils and one Highly Recommended oil having a foaming problem as the anti-foam agent did not do it's job, I settled on Brad Penn and in a 10W30.

If you check the original factory specs on Y's you will find that the factory reccommended 20W with 5W20 in Cold Winter conditions, this will all depend on if your engine builder built to specs or if they clearance for a thicker oil. I use the 10W30 due to unleaded fuel causing them to run a little hotter as lead was a cooling agent in fuels of days gone by.

Good Luck with it.

312T85

What?
speedpro56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
BudMan, these engines love synthetic oils with the old level of zddp period. From my experience Amsoil 10w 40 as Ron uses and /mobil 1 15w 50 have worked great for me since the 80s and have protected my engines from everything from drag racing to easy street driving and no sluge buildup at all after a couple hundred thousand miles. I'm sure their are others oils that are real good to but I can attest on these two brands really work well. Is this confusing enough? BigGrin

-Gary Burnette-

Hutz 292
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I see you used Joe Gibbs break in oil why not use his HR-3 racing oil designed for flat tappet engines. It has high levels of zinc and phosphorus for these type of engines. I run the HR-3 15W-50 Hot Rod oil in 62 F100 292 twin turbo y-block. I have been running that oil since I first built the engine. I am running over 600 whp horse power and 750 lb/ft of torque at the wheels with no failures. I would have to believe that the oil has proved itself in my eyes. I would suggest calling Joe Gibbs their tech department is great to talk to.
Daniel Jessup
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 41 minutes ago
Been using 15w40 Rotella and it has never let me down. A FL1A filter and we are good to go. In the summer I do run some STP as well.

Hutz,

If you are running that kind of horsepower in your Y, you have got to do an article for the Y block magazine. Contact Bruce Young...

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Reading This Topic

Site Meter