Profile Picture

Rams Horn, dipstick, and spark plug access...

Posted By Noob 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I'm posting this case my clone comes along in the future and experiences the same problem over agian.

In truck application, the center position of the dipstick will have the stock dipstick exiting between the "horns" of the exhaust manifold just fine but makes it difficult to loosen/tighten to torque the center bolt... even a twelve point. At least I found this to be the case for the aftermarket Rams Horns I'm using.

So I cut the tube about 3/4" about its block mount bracket, and interference fit a 1-1/2" long piece of 1/2" pipe over the remaining stub. I used a torch to heat the piece I cut off so that I could shape it into a mild "S" configuration, which would move the tubes openning between the arch of the forward "horn" of the exhaust manifold but not obstruct access to the #2 spark plug. I then simply interference fit that tube into the remaining stub of 1/2" pipe, and viola.

I did it this way rather than removing the entire dipstick for rework or repositioning to the front block location of a passenger car motor, mostly cuz I didnt want to risk breaking the tube off in the block trying remove it, I didnt want to riske crap getting into the oil pan of a buttoned up motor, and I didnt want to deal with unplugging the front location and getting a passenger car tube.

The 1/2" pipe (sleeve, really) needed to be reamed a little to remove the weld seam for a good fit in the I.D., I dimpled the ends of the mating tubes to ensure a good interence fit, and I had to use the thinner/narrower dipstick (a repop) cuz the one that came with the motor (stock?) was way to stiff/thick/wide to make the "S" turns without great force.

There you have it Noob... see you in the future and good luck.Wink

Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

Current Experiment = `57 Tbird, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
i got a set of a cabover and the dipstick went into the base.were the 1/2 tons the same or did they go into the block.im talking factory setup.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter