Profile Picture

Granada/Monarch disc brake change to 57Bird brake hoses

Posted By MarkMontereyBay 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
bird55 (12/17/2012)
Charlie McCraney, I believe made a plate for his uni to help correct this issue. It may require adjusting the rod too.

All '61-66 truck come with one. The one I made has different bolt spacing to mount a GM master cylinder. The stock '61-66 truck plate will probably work for your purpose because I believe the firewall stamping is actually for the older 4 bolt MC but a 2 bolt MC is used.

Lawrenceville, GA
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks Charlie, do you remember if that plate is mounted on the interior cab side or mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment? Do you know of or have another?

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

It's on the engine side of the firewall. I don't have any spares. Try a salvage yard.

Lawrenceville, GA
The Master Cylinder
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
MarkMontereyBay (12/17/2012)
It looks like I need to ream the tie rod holes on the spindle to make this work. Is this right?

I don't think that's correct. I haven't heard of anyone reaming the tie rod holes?

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

oldcarmark
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 11 days ago
Tie-Rod ends should fit as is.The lower BJ holes in the spindle are the only holes that need reaming.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

I did some rooting around on 57Fordforever.com and found some discussion about the need to ream the lower ball joint and the tie rod holes. The tie rod holes don't need as much reaming as the ball joints. Still looking around for more info. The tie rod studs don't come up far enough in the spindle, only about 1/4 inch or so above the top of the spindle. By my digital calipers, the lower diameter is close to the same measurement on both the original and Granada spindles. The Granada spindle tie rod mounting boss is taller than the Tbird by a 1/4 inch and the upper hole diameter is smaller than the Tbird. I am using the 57 Tbird tie rod ends.

57 Tbird tie rod specs

Part Number: NCP 2692240

Product Line: NAPA Chassis Parts

Attributes:

Large Diameter Taper (Dimension B) : .62"

Length (Dimension F) : 3.12"

Right or Left Hand Threads : LH

Rod End Thread (Dimension A) : .688" - 18

Small Diameter Taper (Dimension C) : .57"

Stud Thread Size (Dimension E) : .5" - 20

Taper Length (Dimension D) : .44"

Thread Type : Macho

Granada tie rod specs

Part Number: MRC ES445R

Product Line: Master Ride Chassis

Attributes:

Large Diameter Taper (Dimension B) : .62"

Length (Dimension F) : 4.5"

Right or Left Hand Threads : RH

Rod End Thread (Dimension A) : .688" - 18

Rod End Thread (Dimension E) : .5" - 20

Small Diameter Taper (Dimension C) : .55"

Stud Thread Size (Dimension E) : .5" - 20

Taper Length (Dimension D) : .55"

Thread Type : Macho

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

paul2748
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If you don't have enough thread area to get the nut down and the cotter pin in, then you are correct. I had to slightly ream the tie rods holes in the spindle in my 54. It is ever so slight I did it by hand.

I put a plate between the master cylinder on the firewall, but the original intention was to provide a little more space between the master cylinder and the pushrod.

I traced the mounting surface of the old master cylinder onto a piece of paper and then onto the metal piece.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Attachments
02.jpg (336 views, 66.00 KB)
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the photo. Seems a hole saw and some sheet metal would be enough to fabricate a plate like yours. Out of caution and fear of Murphy's law I reamed the spindle ball joint by hand. Took awhile reaming and fitting but it came out right. The tie rod threads don't come up enough to install the cotter pin but by my eyeball it doesn't look like it will take much reaming to get it in place.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The plate is 1/4" The studs are actually countersunk head screws. You'll also need a countersink. A hole saw works great!

The stock plate is nearly identical. Only the spacing of the countersunk holes is different.

Lawrenceville, GA
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

One side assembled. Reamed the tie rod hole on the spindle to fit. Did it by hand to be careful not to over do it. Need to get some new spindle dust caps, and A-Arm bumpers to trim to the right size. The old ones are tired out. Got some plate to make the firewall reinforcement.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

Reading This Topic

Site Meter