Profile Picture

Y block clutch?

Posted By Trevwood 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Just wondering what clutch will fit between my 272 and 3 speed manual?

Being in Australia I'm hoping for an easy off the shelf item, thanks, Trev.

Searched the forum but can't find an answer.
Rono
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Trevwood;

Since no one responded, I'll give it a shot. You have to know basically what type of 3 speed trans you have,  the diameter of the input shaft and the number of splines on the input shaft. Itis probably a 10" diameter clutch, so with that other information, you should be able to contact some of the aftermarket companies out there and get a replacement clutch disk.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Grizzly
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Trevwood.

In Australia Customline are reasonably rare and most now don't run a y blockCrying

What three speed are you running? if it's the standard three speed it has a really long cast iron extention housing and for RHD cars a really elaborate gear linkage mechanism that runs under the gearbox?

Try Cusso Bill or John's Rod and Custom or Macs or Carpenters in the states (two weeks and you will have your part) The last time I bought a clutch Daikin built one for me.

Be carefull a 70's falcom one will fit but a I blame that for a failed gearbox. (same number of splines but larger shaft)

cheers

Warren

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)

rick55
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
From memory, the clutch you need is out of a XT XW 3speed V8 clutch.

Repco sell them.

Regards

Rick - West Australia
Do Y Blocks Downunder run upside down? Gravity Sucks!!
Trevwood
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)

Cheers for the replies, I nearly gave upWink

My box is a customline one ( long extension housing) with the elaborate linkages running under the box, I won't be needing those because I want to run a floor shifter.

I have a fly wheel, how do I measure to find out what size the clutch should be?

Thanks, Trev.
lowrider
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Measure the wear pattern where the clutch disc rides on the flywheel.

Dan      Kingman Az.      86409
rick55
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Take the flywheel to repco and they will match the clutch to the flywheel. To point them in the right direction suggest a 10" setup fitted to an xw falcon v8 with 302 and 3 speed just to set you mind at ease. the last clutch I fitted (4 years ago) was a diaphragm pressure plate, but it isn't as nice to drive with as the fork plate I had before. Depending on what rate of discount you can get, I think I paid $280. Ford used the same clutch setup on most of the v8s in Australia until they went to that dreadful twin plate. The clutch throw out bearing for the models I mentioned will slip on your clutch fork.

I haven't suffered any problems with my setup like Grizzly.

Regards

Rick - West Australia
Do Y Blocks Downunder run upside down? Gravity Sucks!!
Trevwood
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Thanks for that Rick.
Grizzly
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Rick, aren't you using a all syncro toploder three speed from falcon? Falcon gearboxs have a larger diameter input shaft. The falcon shaft is 1/8 or 1/4 larger and allows for considerable slop on the shaft.

Trev, The Previous owner of my ute had installed a falcon clutch (friction plate). By the time I replaced it, it was shuddering to the point it was difficult to drive it had started to wear the input shaft spline and I blame it for destroying the gearbox. The gearbox had an excessivly worn bearing where the input and output shaft meet. This mean that it fell out of each gear whilst driving it. As the mismatched spline did little to support the shaft allowing excessive flex. 

Regardless I was warned over and over when I was looking for a friction plate. At the time it cost only $10 or $20 for a specially manufactured daikin clutch over the price of the "off the shelf" falcon one. the right one through macs or carpenters will cost you only $80.

The pressure plate I had remanufactured and cost me less than a replacement diapham plate.

Cheers

Warren

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)

Trevwood
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Thanks for the info Grizzly.

I won't just be sticking anything in I want to get it rite.

My simple questions come from never having worked on a manual before, all my cars have had autos, so I really appreciate all the adviseSmile , Trev.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter