Profile Picture

Carb Spacer question

Posted By brokengate 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Stock 312, Holley 4150 4V 600cfm, ECZ-B manifold, late model OEM exhaust manifolds.  Two questions,  1 inch or 1/2 spacer, any thoughts?  Shouldn't I use a 4 bore spacer as opposed to an elongated two bore or an open plenum? or does it matter? the ECZ-B is an unmodified 4 bore, 1.5 inch, Moroso makes a 1.467 inch, 4 bore, spacer which likely matches the Holley exit bores in either 1/2 or 1 inch fiber or aluminum, not sure it's a big deal but putting it back together and might as well do it right.  Thanks

Ted, Redding, CAhttp://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/db7e67de-6104-4dd8-93b7-6798.jpg
paul2748
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Go with a 4 bore, Better for street. As far as height, I don't think it will make any big difference on how the car runs.

brokengate (3/7/2012)
Stock 312, Holley 4150 4V 600cfm, ECZ-B manifold, late model OEM exhaust manifolds. Two questions, 1 inch or 1/2 spacer, any thoughts? Shouldn't I use a 4 bore spacer as opposed to an elongated two bore or an open plenum?or does it matter?the ECZ-B is an unmodified 4 bore, 1.5 inch, Moroso makes a 1.467 inch,4 bore, spacerwhich likely matches the Holley exit bores in either 1/2 or 1 inch fiber or aluminum, not sure it's a big deal but putting it back together and might as well do it right. Thanks

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

GREENBIRD56
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
This is the Moroso spacer being matched to the ECZ-9425B manifold. As mentioned above, keeping the two halves of the manifold separate makes a better street combo.

Use a gasket that matches the carb base plate as a template - and make sure there aren't any edges sticking out into the airstream.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Talkwrench
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I have a 1/2" 4 hole And I really didn't need to modify anything.. Not sure how you would go on a 1"...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
PF Arcand
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Ted: The latest issue #108, Jan-Feb 2012 of Y-Block Magazine, has a very interesting article on carb spacers, by non other than our moderator Ted.. And guys, I wouldn't be so sure that the height & or shape of a spacer doesn't have any effect on performance.

Paul
Talkwrench
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
C'mon bit more of a heads up on that one...  link?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago

The latest issue of the YBM does have an article on carb spacers and shows exactly how much power particular spacers are worth on the aluminum intakes.  Some of that information is transferable to the ECZ-B iron manifolds.  That issue is just now making it into the subscribers hands.

As a general rule for the ECZ-B intakes, the 1” height is preferred over the ½”.  For lowend torque, use a four hole and for upper rpm performance go with either a dual oval or open type spacer.  How the intake is modified will determine just how well a particular spacer will perform.  I'll add that the 'tapered' style of spacers (four hole on top and open on the bottom) still tend to show performance improvements on everything they are tried on.  If the intake is a four hole, then maintaining the spacer as a four hole typically gives the best results but even the tapered spacers tend to work on the four hole intakes even with the hole mismatch that's present.  If the intake holes have been elongated, then there are some advantages with other spacer designs that will come to the forefront.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

brokengate
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)Supercharged (246 reputation)

Then a Moroso 64946 1 inch, 4 hole, 1.467" bore diameter it will be.  Drop shipped from manufacturer one week, $50 from Summit, with Moroso 2.5" carb studs $8. 

Having heck of time finding new 4 hole base plate gaskets to fit the Holley and ECZ-B, Holley shows them for around $20, I need 2, that ain't right and I'd cut them myself from paper stock. Anyone know a source?  Found it at NAPA, $1.53, had to go to RockAuto to get part #, then back to NAPA, NAPA site sucks.

Want to plug the exhaust crossover, seems I read thin aluminum under gasket on head side is that correct?

Thanks for the help. Gotta do search to sign up for Y-block Magazine. Found this one also, check in mail.

Ted, Redding, CAhttp://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/db7e67de-6104-4dd8-93b7-6798.jpg

Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago

Here’s a link to a previous discussion regarding the tapered carb spacers.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Topic67347-3-1.aspx 

And here’s another picture of the bottom side of a tapered carburetor spacer showing more detail of how this particular spacer transitions the air flow from the carb to the intake.

Here’s a picture of just a few of the carb spacers that have been tested.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

brokengate
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

That is an interesting manifold, which somewhat parallels my thinking that the spacer should match the intake manifold at their pairing. Four hole, two hole or single open, it just didn't seem right not to have them matched, but then I haven't run one spacer test.  Some interesting info coming, my sincere gratitude for your endless efforts, in my case, without a complete build, every efficientcy is important.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter