Carb Spacer question

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic69393.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By brokengate - 12 Years Ago
Stock 312, Holley 4150 4V 600cfm, ECZ-B manifold, late model OEM exhaust manifolds.  Two questions,  1 inch or 1/2 spacer, any thoughts?  Shouldn't I use a 4 bore spacer as opposed to an elongated two bore or an open plenum? or does it matter? the ECZ-B is an unmodified 4 bore, 1.5 inch, Moroso makes a 1.467 inch, 4 bore, spacer which likely matches the Holley exit bores in either 1/2 or 1 inch fiber or aluminum, not sure it's a big deal but putting it back together and might as well do it right.  Thanks
By paul2748 - 12 Years Ago
Go with a 4 bore, Better for street. As far as height, I don't think it will make any big difference on how the car runs.

brokengate (3/7/2012)
Stock 312, Holley 4150 4V 600cfm, ECZ-B manifold, late model OEM exhaust manifolds. Two questions, 1 inch or 1/2 spacer, any thoughts? Shouldn't I use a 4 bore spacer as opposed to an elongated two bore or an open plenum?or does it matter?the ECZ-B is an unmodified 4 bore, 1.5 inch, Moroso makes a 1.467 inch,4 bore, spacerwhich likely matches the Holley exit bores in either 1/2 or 1 inch fiber or aluminum, not sure it's a big deal but putting it back together and might as well do it right. Thanks
By GREENBIRD56 - 12 Years Ago
This is the Moroso spacer being matched to the ECZ-9425B manifold. As mentioned above, keeping the two halves of the manifold separate makes a better street combo.

Use a gasket that matches the carb base plate as a template - and make sure there aren't any edges sticking out into the airstream.

By Talkwrench - 12 Years Ago
I have a 1/2" 4 hole And I really didn't need to modify anything.. Not sure how you would go on a 1"...
By PF Arcand - 12 Years Ago
Ted: The latest issue #108, Jan-Feb 2012 of Y-Block Magazine, has a very interesting article on carb spacers, by non other than our moderator Ted.. And guys, I wouldn't be so sure that the height & or shape of a spacer doesn't have any effect on performance.
By Talkwrench - 12 Years Ago
C'mon bit more of a heads up on that one...  link?
By Ted - 12 Years Ago

The latest issue of the YBM does have an article on carb spacers and shows exactly how much power particular spacers are worth on the aluminum intakes.  Some of that information is transferable to the ECZ-B iron manifolds.  That issue is just now making it into the subscribers hands.

As a general rule for the ECZ-B intakes, the 1” height is preferred over the ½”.  For lowend torque, use a four hole and for upper rpm performance go with either a dual oval or open type spacer.  How the intake is modified will determine just how well a particular spacer will perform.  I'll add that the 'tapered' style of spacers (four hole on top and open on the bottom) still tend to show performance improvements on everything they are tried on.  If the intake is a four hole, then maintaining the spacer as a four hole typically gives the best results but even the tapered spacers tend to work on the four hole intakes even with the hole mismatch that's present.  If the intake holes have been elongated, then there are some advantages with other spacer designs that will come to the forefront.

Then a Moroso 64946 1 inch, 4 hole, 1.467" bore diameter it will be.  Drop shipped from manufacturer one week, $50 from Summit, with Moroso 2.5" carb studs $8. 

Having heck of time finding new 4 hole base plate gaskets to fit the Holley and ECZ-B, Holley shows them for around $20, I need 2, that ain't right and I'd cut them myself from paper stock. Anyone know a source?  Found it at NAPA, $1.53, had to go to RockAuto to get part #, then back to NAPA, NAPA site sucks.

Want to plug the exhaust crossover, seems I read thin aluminum under gasket on head side is that correct?

Thanks for the help. Gotta do search to sign up for Y-block Magazine. Found this one also, check in mail.

By Ted - 12 Years Ago

Here’s a link to a previous discussion regarding the tapered carb spacers.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Topic67347-3-1.aspx 

And here’s another picture of the bottom side of a tapered carburetor spacer showing more detail of how this particular spacer transitions the air flow from the carb to the intake.

Here’s a picture of just a few of the carb spacers that have been tested.

That is an interesting manifold, which somewhat parallels my thinking that the spacer should match the intake manifold at their pairing. Four hole, two hole or single open, it just didn't seem right not to have them matched, but then I haven't run one spacer test.  Some interesting info coming, my sincere gratitude for your endless efforts, in my case, without a complete build, every efficientcy is important.
This note has to be for Ted -

It almost seems to me, after reading doen through the thread - that there is a particular length of straight tube that needs to exist under the butterfly shaft. The combination of that uniform passage - and then the "diffuser" opening below does the deed? Looks like the section of straight tube must be something equal to (or slightly over) the full diameter of the butterfly below the pivot centerline?

By aussiebill - 12 Years Ago
Ted, just finished reading that YBM article on the spacers, very interesting and again thank you for the testing results. Is this 4hole/open base style available or did you make it? best regards bill.Smile
By Ted - 12 Years Ago
GREENBIRD56 (3/11/2012)
This note has to be for Ted -

It almost seems to me, after reading doen through the thread - that there is a particular length of straight tube that needs to exist under the butterfly shaft. The combination of that uniform passage - and then the "diffuser" opening below does the deed? Looks like the section of straight tube must be something equal to (or slightly over) the full diameter of the butterfly below the pivot centerline?

Steve.  It would be nice if it was as simple as you propose but it’s not.  The carburetor spacer is related to the specific engine combination and if simply changing a engine parameter such as the camshaft or the exhaust, then the spacer requirement also changes.  The carb spacer ends up being a part of the total tuneup where the intake tract length from the carb to the valve is working in tandem with the exhaust lengths and the camshaft overlap has a lot to do with the balance of those two lengths.  That’s an over-simplification but will have to suffice short of writing a chapter on the subject.

The tapered spacers do tend to work best in those instances where the engine is under carbureted.  The tapered spacer straightens out the air flow by reducing flow eddys under the carb itself thus permitting more air flow through the carb.  As a general rule, the better the heads are, then the more a tapered carb spacer tends to benefit engine performance in a particular rpm band.  There was thirty plus horsepower gain on my roadster engine in just playing with spacer designs.

I have Gary’s 312 stroker on the dyno right now and it’s in the process of testing nine different single four barrel intake manifolds on it.  All are ported differently.  With what’s been tested so far, it’s becoming clear that there is no particular spacer that’s going to be a fit all.  Certain intakes simply like certain spacer designs or spacer heights.  Once all the intakes have been run, then it’s a matter of sorting out the data and making some sense of it.

By Ted - 12 Years Ago
aussiebill (3/11/2012)
..... Is this 4hole/open base style available or did you make it? ...
The ‘tapered’ carb spacers are available from several suppliers in a variety of heights.  HVH and Wilson are two companies that come to mind.  Lots of home shops with CNC machines are also now knocking them out.
By Rono - 12 Years Ago
Ted;

I think I know the answer to this, but to be more certain, here's the question; I plan on using the "B" manifold on a street, supercharged 331 cu.in. motor. So, would you elongate the holes into ovals and use a 1" spacer that was open or with holes?

Thanks,

Rono

By Ted - 12 Years Ago
Rono (3/12/2012)
Ted; I think I know the answer to this, but to be more certain, here's the question; I plan on using the "B" manifold on a street, supercharged 331 cu.in. motor. So, would you elongate the holes into ovals and use a 1" spacer that was open or with holes?

Here’s my two cents worth.  Anyone else is free to comment.

That’s a yes for elongating the carb holes into slots.  With the slotted intake you can go either way, four hole or open but my particular choice in this case would be an open style carb spacer if simply choosing from these two designs.  Because maintaining a separation under the carb (true dual plane) with the supercharger isn’t as important as in a normally aspirated scenario, then reducing any restrictions under the carburetor by using an open spacer would have its advantages.  Another option that would help to smooth the transition going into the ‘slotted’ manifold and still maintain a true dual plane design would be a spacer with dual slots that matches the intake holes.  Here are some more pictures including the dual oval or slotted spacer.  All these spacers are upside down and viewed looking at their undersides.

By yalincoln - 12 Years Ago
hi ted, does a 4 hole tapered adaptor ( large hole carb to small hole intake ) work better than a straight bore 4 hole adaptor and boring the intake holes to match the larger bore? does the venturi affect help the bottom end torque on a street stocker?
By Hoosier Hurricane - 12 Years Ago
Ted;

You asked for more input, and here's mine.  I tried a slotted front-to-back intake on my race car with the Paxton.  Ran .1 to .15 seconds slower with the slotted one compared to the stock F code manifold.  No other changes were made.  It uses the stock phenolic 1/2" 4 hole spacer under the teapot..

By Rono - 12 Years Ago
Here's a Quick Fuel 1" aluminum carb spacer that is for Holley 4150 type carbs. It may be what I'll go with for my build. It is machined with the 4 hole/square bore design and their comments about performance seem to be right in line with Ted's.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QFT-300-4150-1AL/

Rono

By Ted - 12 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (3/13/2012)
Ted;  You asked for more input, and here's mine.  I tried a slotted front-to-back intake on my race car with the Paxton.  Ran .1 to .15 seconds slower with the slotted one compared to the stock F code manifold.  No other changes were made.  It uses the stock phenolic 1/2" 4 hole spacer under the teapot..

John.  Thanks for the real world input.  Supercharging just seems to make its own rules.  What works for normally aspirated engines just doesn’t cross over cleanly to ‘blow thru’ stuff.

By Ted - 12 Years Ago
yalincoln (3/13/2012)
hi ted, does a 4 hole tapered adaptor ( large hole carb to small hole intake ) work better than a straight bore 4 hole adaptor and boring the intake holes to match the larger bore? does the venturi affect help the bottom end torque on a street stocker?

Wayne.  Here is a summary of what was dyno tested on a pair of iron intakes.  On a ECZ-B four hole intake, the 2” four hole spacer had lower peak and average numbers than when using a 2” tapered carb spacer.  Transitioning into the intake at the carb holes does not seem to be the key here. Running that same intake without any spacers had lower numbers than what was seen using spacers.  The intake just likes spacers.

On an ECZ-B intake that had the carb holes slotted, the 2” tapered spacer outshined a 2” HiFlo (4 holes into 4 squares), a 2” Offy dual slotted, and a 1” HVH dual slotted spacer.  No spacer at all had the lowest values of all.  It would appear that it’s hard to go wrong with the tapered carb spacer design on the ECZ-B intakes.

By Y block Billy - 12 Years Ago
Ted, I think what he is referring to is a tapered spacer from the large hole to small hole manifold, being placed upside down, so the smaller end matches the intake. Would that create an increase in velocity at that bottleneck to aid in low end torque?
By sd56effie - 12 Years Ago
Ted or anyone, your thoughts on running which spacer on a 306 with mummert heads and intake? any input in the matter would be most helpful. thanks..
By Glen Henderson - 12 Years Ago
Based on the results that Ted got from my engine, I would start with the HVH 2" tapered spacer. But and a big but, every engine is different and what works for one combination may not be good for another. I am old school and always had my doubts about dyno tuning, but I am convinced that if Ted had not taken the time to try different combo's, I would have a 385 HP engine instead of a 415 HP engine. From my experence with stock cars, I would have stuck a four hole spacer on it and called it good. Dyno time and a good tuner is dollars well spent, it might take a seasons trips to the track trying different things to find what you can in a day on a dyno.
By Ted - 12 Years Ago
Y block Billy (3/14/2012)
Ted, I think what he is referring to is a tapered spacer from the large hole to small hole manifold, being placed upside down, so the smaller end matches the intake. Would that create an increase in velocity at that bottleneck to aid in low end torque?

Hadn’t thought of trying the tapered spacers upside down; holes on the bottom instead of the top.  Down the road when there is a four hole intake back on the dyno, I’ll give that scenario a whirl.  At this point, I’m even thinking two tapered spacers with the open cavities matched up together and the holes themselves at the carb and the intake.  Lots of possibilities here when talking about combinations.

By Ted - 12 Years Ago
sd56effie (3/14/2012)
Ted or anyone, your thoughts on running which spacer on a 306 with mummert heads and intake? any input in the matter would be most helpful. thanks..
If the engine is just going to be a steady state cruiser and never see over 3500 rpms, then a four hole spacer under the carb will give the best lowend torque numbers.  If you want additional passing gear performance, then the tapered spacer design shines.  With the aluminum heads, torque increase is substantial so the tapered spacer design would work out to be the best overall.
By sd56effie - 12 Years Ago
thanks for the info guys!
By Rono - 12 Years Ago
Continuing on with my blower motor project, I've elongated the holes in my "B" intake and since this will be a street motor, I went with a Quick Fuel 1" tapered hole phenolic carb spacer (P/N 300-4150-1) that I will use with either a Holley 4150 HP or double pumper carb. I'm a little confused on the spacer gaskets (which ones to use where), to weld in or epoxy fill the gaps left under the gasket and if I should try to do any additional port matching. Here are a few pictures of whatI have going on.

Rono

Ron, on the slotted intake i would go with the open gasket otherwise the 4 hole could rip out between bores and peices go through your motor with no support under them.

Ted/John, just thinking about the blowthrough scenario, could it be that being open, the manifold is slightly charged but when the valve opens the air has to search for that open valve and you have the air going all sorts of directions fighting and bumping into itself to get to whichever valve is open. whereas in a direct 4 hole combination, each runner has a full charge and is ready to enter the cylinder as soon as the valve opens? I guess an 8 hole (2-4bbl) would be optimal if it was the case.

By charliemccraney - 12 Years Ago
Definitely match the intake to the spacer opening and put a radius on the transition from the carb to the runners. You can epoxy the recessed portion and carefully file it flat. I'd use either an open or divided gasket between the spacer and manifold - you can trim your four hole into a divided or open gasket. It really won't make a whole lot of difference which gasket you use.
By Rono - 12 Years Ago
Thanks Billy and Charlie... That's what I needed to know. I'll continue on. There is a good used Barry Grant Mighty Demon 750 CFM blow thru carb with mechanical secondaries on Epay that I think I'll go for to top things off.

Rono

Am I confused (happens a lot anymore)? - isn't the spacer suposed to be made with the 4 holes matching the carb baseplate bores and then opening up and tapering away as air leaves the carb? This seems upside down to that concept.

On the other hand - I sure can see the advantage of smoothing the edges of the air entry into the manifold too. Seems like you need two transitions - one out of the carb - and one from the open plenum into the manifold passages.  

By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Steve, Think you're right. The object being to slow the Fuel/air down after it leaves the carb and before it impinges on the manifold plenum bottom and seperates. I've seen polycarbonate manifolds with little rivers of fuel running down the intake runners. Doubt if that burns very well.   
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
Now I'm really lost. Ted, are you talking about using 2 tapered spaces small holes in the center and large holes on the outsides? So you have a large opening under the carb AND at the maniflold, sort of an hourglass setup? I know I'm getting old but I'm completely lost in this thread. Chuck
Chuck, I think he meant try them the other way around with open end together, but a try both ways may show some interesting results.

Frank, I don't think the idea is to slow the mix down anywhere down the line, slowing it down is what causes the molecules

To fall out of suspension, too smooth a port job will also cause this when not in wide open throttle. I recently installed the 1.08 carb I got from Glenn and my car does not bark as load as it did Exhaust wise with a 1.12 but it is a lot smoother power all around, can't tell if it has more power but definitely smoother with the increase in velocity from the smaller bores of the carb!
By Ted - 12 Years Ago

Rono.  You’ll need to slot the four hole gasket so that there is no unsupported gasket material under the carb or over the intake opening depending upon which way you install the spacer.

Billy.  Boosted applications are completely different when it comes to air flow requirements.  While I’ve reams of data for naturally aspirated carb setups, I’ve only a smattering of information on some of the various blow-thru applications in regards to spacer demands.  Because many of the engines I test with superchargers already have fixed carburetor setups, there’s not much opportunity to test a variety of carb spacers on those.  There are undoubtedly some learnings to be had in that area but the complexity of many of those setups prevents their owners from spending the time on the dyno to test some of the variations in those setups.

Chuck.  Here’s a picture of the tapered spacer and looking at it from the bottom side.  The general idea is to have the four hole portion at the carb base which eliminates some of the flow eddys that form which in turn inhibits flow through the carburetor.  These spacers work really well on the smaller sized carburetors in that the flow through the carb is increased simply due to the reduction of the turbulence that occurs under the carb.

There is not a carburetor spacer that is a ‘catch all’ for all applications.  For the Y, I find that the Mummert aluminum intake prefers one design of spacer while the Blue Thunder intake prefers another.  And then the ECZ-B iron intake seems to be up in the air on which spacer works best depending upon the intake and engine modifications themselves.
Ted -

(1) Is the above picture inverted to the way the spacer goes under the carb and shown this way for clarity?

(2) Assuming so, would it then simply discharge onto the the carb mounting surface of the manifold (slots in particular)? Does the center divider get reduced - removed to certain depth  - "sharpened" edge - what sort of manifold match?Sad

By Doug T - 12 Years Ago
I had a  1" thick square hole spacer on my engine for a while but recently changed to this slightly modified 1" tk 4 holer. This is the surface that contacts a Blue Thunder manifold. The purpose of transitions is to provide smoother flow out of the bottom of the spacer reducing turbulance in the plenum allowing the A/F mixture an easier time turning to the horizontal runners.  It also should help A/F reach the back of the engine when running on the front barrels.  Remember the front and back of the BT manifold is curved to the radius the carb throttles. 

I drive mostly on the street and this spacer is somewhat more forgiving at Idle and off idle. I didn't notice much loss in acceleration but I have not tried it on the track. The BT has a medium size "window" between the oval holes, if that window was not there the idle would probably be even better. 

Well I put a Mummert 2 slot spacer on the Blue Thunder, and while it may not be optimum neither is the BT manifold without some exhaust help.  The machinist who milled the back of the manifold also fit and polished the spacer with the BT which did have some edges he said had to go.  I'm not racing but I'll take what I can get and it runs real nice.
By stuey - 12 Years Ago
very interesting thread

been looking at HVH website,  surprised they say plastic/phenolic spacers not for street only drag/marine use!

ally for street/strip use  why ...any coment please. i would have thought plastic would have been a better heat blocker

stuey

By Ted - 12 Years Ago
stuey (6/28/2012)
Very interesting thread

Been looking at HVH website,  surprised they say plastic/phenolic spacers not for street only drag/marine use!

Only for street/strip use.    [Why ...any coment please. i would have thought plastic would have been a better heat blocker

The plastic being used on those particular HVH carb spacers deforms with any kind of prolonged heat.  They eventually deform enough that a gasket seal becomes an issue.  A different composite material would likely solve the deformation issue as there are no heat related problems with the Moroso brand plastic spacers.
By Ted - 12 Years Ago
GREENBIRD56 (6/27/2012)
Ted -

(1) Is the above picture inverted to the way the spacer goes under the carb and shown this way for clarity?

That a Yes.  The pictured spacer is shown upside down.

(2) Assuming so, would it then simply discharge onto the the carb mounting surface of the manifold (slots in particular)? Does the center divider get reduced - removed to certain depth  - "sharpened" edge - what sort of manifold match?Sad

I’ve experimented with the iron intakes in dropping the center divider down and those efforts end up hurting the lowend torque values regardless of the spacer design being used.  The Mummert aluminum 4V intakes have a preference for a measure of open plenum between the intake and carb and that’s what the tapered spacer provides.  On the other hand, the Blue Thunder intakes tend to prefer a carb spacer that is more segregated in design or has less openness between the sides.  Said another way, the BT intakes prefer a spacer that keeps more true to the dual plane design.  Doug’s observation mimics what I also see with the BT intakes.

With both intakes being so similar in overall design, then that begs the question “Why the different spacers?”.  Here’s my observation.  The Blue Thunder intake has a crossover slot at the secondaries while the Mummert aluminum intake does not have that slot.  Unless proven otherwise, this would be a contributing factor why the two intakes prefer different spacer designs when all else remains equal.  The verification for this would be to test the Mummert intake with and without the aforementioned slot and verify that is indeed what is driving the carburetor spacer difference.

Here are a couple of pics of some of the spacers that were recently tested on a variety of Y intakes.  The left picture is the carb side of the spacers (top) and the right picture is the intake manifold side (bottom).

By stuey - 12 Years Ago
thanks Ted

you just stopped me from making another mistake

stuey