Profile Picture

Y-Block Motor and Transmission Mounts

Posted By Outlaw56 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have a question regarding the historical application of Y-Block Motor Mounts. If you use a manual transmission, do you mount a Y Block using the front motor mount (attached to the block behind the dampener) and the mounts on each side of the bell housing?  If you use an automatic transmission, do you use the side motor mounts on the engine block and an additional mount on the transmission? I have came across the possibility of using the front stock motor mount and a modified crossmember for an AOD attached to a 292 Y-Block. After thinking about it, I am wondering if the proper way is to abanon the stock front engine mount and use the side motor mounts and the transmission tail shaft motor mounts. Using the front motor mount and the tailshaft motor mount raises the issue of motor and engine being supported side to side instead of front and rear only.

Darrell Howard Whitefish, MT Outlaw 56 Ford F-100's
Rono
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Outlaw56;

It depends on whether you are talking about a car or truck application. Cars do not use the bellhousings with the mounting legs on the side even in Manual transmission applications. I'm pretty sure the car and truck frames are different with respect to the frame crossmembers and of course the front suspension. I'm sure others will have more to say on this topic.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

snowcone
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
According to my old Ford workshop book, in cars, the front mount doesn't support any real weight, but is just there for stability.

Gary - 1958 Star Customline and 1940 Ford Deluxe Hotrod

The Master Cylinder
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
The car front mount (called the "steady rest") was never intended to be used by itself without the side mounts and in fact was done away with after 1956.

The truck needs the bell housing mounts along with the front mount.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

Outlaw56
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)

Sure glad I stumbled across this question before I committed to using the front plate behind the dampener as a motor mount in conjunction with a custom fab AOD Cross Member mount! The application is for a 1956 F-100 pickup. 292 Y-Block with AOD Transmission. Stock frame has the stock crossmember for mounting a manual transmission bell housing to the frame at the rear and the front mount is the plate behind the balancer which mounts to a crossmember in the front of the engine. This was the way the merc 256 was mounted when I inherited the truck. There were no side engine block mounts on the engine, just the front mount and the bell housing. I am adding a 292 and an automatic AOD. Obviously I have no bell housing to mount to the stock frame of this truck. I am thinking in any engine installation of this era, there are two options. Both have a three point mount. Manual Transmission: Front motor mount and bell housing mounts on each side of the bell housing. Automatic Transmission: One mount on each side of the engine block and a single motor mount on the rear of the transmission tailshaft.  Both provide a three point (one center and two side to side). My original idea was to use the front engine mount behind the dampener which may not even be considered an engine mount and the tailshaft on the transmission. This could technically only be considered a two point (two center mount) which would question the integrity of stabality under torque. I should have named this thread two point or three point engine mounts. Thanks for the input and hopefully get more on this subject. I can use all the help I can get.

RB35
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Don't know if this helps, but I've made my own motor and frame mounts using the side mounts to install a y-block in a Model A.  Seems no one (anymore) thinks other than chubbys in a hot rod!  I had a Hurst front mount, but felt the distance between the front and t-5 trans mount would put too much stress in the middle.  Proven fact?  I don't know, but I feel a bit more comfortable using the side mounts to help "balance the load".

RB

paul2748
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
snowcone (10/20/2011)
According to my old Ford workshop book, in cars, the front mount doesn't support any real weight, but is just there for stability.

Depends on the application - TBirds and trucks used the front mount as a MOUNT, with the mount on the side of the bellhousing for trucks while the TBirds used a trans mount with a steady rest on both sides of the engine.

However, the front mounts in the truck and TBirds were not the same.

54 and 55 sedans used a front "steady rest" for stability

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

slumlord444
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
As was stated earlier, the front passenger car mount was eleminated in '57. I used to trash them on 55-56 cars back in the day.
aussiebill
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
RB35 (10/20/2011)
Don't know if this helps, but I've made my own motor and frame mounts using the side mounts to install a y-block in a Model A.  Seems no one (anymore) thinks other than chubbys in a hot rod!  I had a Hurst front mount, but felt the distance between the front and t-5 trans mount would put too much stress in the middle.  Proven fact?  I don't know, but I feel a bit more comfortable using the side mounts to help "balance the load".

RB

My two.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Outlaw56
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

After digesting all the information here and talking to some hot rod fabricators, I believe I have at least come up with some direction for mounting Y-Block and AOD in 56 Ford F-100.  If anyone thinks I am headed for trouble, I would like to hear your opinion. I am going to mount the Y-Block centered between the frame rails using the front motor mount which bolts up to the block behind the dampener. This is to have the engine set in the stock location it was when I purchased the truck. I am going to use a tubular cross member built by TCI to mount the AOL Transmission. Once I have the engine bolted in, I am going to at least try the original sway bar bolts (original in 56-57 TBirds) from both sides of the engine block to the frame rails to give stability to the engine side to side. I understand I will need to fab mounts from boxed frame rails to bottom end where sway bar bolts will connect to frame rails.  Then I will revisit the possibility of removing the front motor mount if not necessary. If the sway bar bolts do not work, I will fab up some motor mounts to replace the sway bar bolts. The distance between frame rails on a 56 Ford F-100 is approximately 33". Looking at the engine, it seems logical this will allow plenty of room for the ram horns, Toyota Steering Box, and future IFS if I decide to go that route. Keep in mind this is for an engine that is going to be in the 200 HP range. If this does not work, I still have the option of drilling and tapping the 1 1/2" thick Beinstien Mid Plate (AOD Y-Block Adaptor) to fab up (drill and tap) other possibilities for mounting the engine. Thanks for all your help and please let me know if you see any potential problems with this plan. Also would like to know the outside distance of frame rails on the 56-57 T-Bird if anyone knows that.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter