Borgeson's yblock power steering pump and and ford 52-64 gear box

Posted By 54mainlinetim 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Borgeson's yblock power steering pump and and ford 52-64 gear box

Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Thanks to jeffb2 for finding out Borgeson's has came out with some new products, the 2nd and 3rd items down on this link

show a new power steering pump and bracket for y-blocks and also a bolt on power steering box for 52-64 fords..

http://webrodder.com/index.php?page=listProducts&CID=18&pageNum=0
miker
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
FWIW, I've had a Saginaw pump running a cavalier rack on the car for several years, and the steering's been very light. I just put a Height's valve in, and while I haven't driven the car on the road, it cut the boost back a lot just moving it around (the exhaust is off it). I was told that the rack's used a lower pressure pump, but have no way of verifying that.

From Speedway http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustable-Power-Steering-Valve,14895.html

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rono
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Hi Mike, how are you?

I am also using a Cavalier power rack on my '56 with a stock Eaton PS pump and the steering was also very light. If I had it to do again though, I would go with this new Borgeson PS pump because I had to shim the rack downward and the motor upward (1/4" aluminum plates on the motor mounts) so that the oil pump wouldn't rest on the dust boot of the power rack. Did you have to make any mods like that? To compound my problem, I'm using 2&1/2" dropped Granada spindles so now I have only about 4" of clearance from the ground to the bolts on the tie rod center bracket. I've got to be really careful of big bumps and deep holes and there are lots of them up here in Maine.

Rono.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

PWH42
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
According to Borgeson's ad,their setup won't work on a standard transmission car.Has anyone found a way around this?

Paul,

Boonville,MO

miker
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hello, Ron, I'm alive and well, and retired now. My daughter-in-law is from Maine, so I heard all the stories. Her Dad was the local Chief of Police. Hope you brought the snow blower from Idaho.

On the 'bird, fitting the rack didn't present any problems with the frame or motor, but we welded an old manual steering center (drag link) to a piece of steel, and bolted above to the rack. You've got to trust your welder. That let me keep the rack up and maintain the original geometry on the tie rods. I am just installing a set of FPA headers, and that required bending the lines on the rack, and shifting the motor over 1/8 inch to clear the steering shaft. If I was starting from scratch, a little more column would have solve this, but the Red's headers were on when I did that, and it looked good at the time.

I've got a post above on the Aerostar springs, and how they came out on the 'bird. I don't know how much they lower a full size car, if any, but if you shimmed them up a bit for static ground clearance, the variable rate makes them stiffer real quick over the bumps, and that might help with the frost heaves. For 90 bucks from NAPA, nothing much is cheaper. Don't have any ideas about the potholes. Maybe a sack of cement in the trunk, and a jug of water, and go back and fill them up? That's about where we are in WA for road work.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
oldcarmark
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
It also says column shift cars(which I assume  includes automatics) will require extensive work to use the existing column.So what exactly does this setup work with?Sounds like a great idea but????

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Rono
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Oldcarmark;

For my next build, chances are I'll go with a custom steering column and another T-5 conversion and floor shifter. I am wondering though, since we use an upgraded release fork, if anyone has tried using a hydraulic clutch set-up which would remove the bracket and linkage from the equation? Can it be done with the Y bellhousing??

Rono.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I have been wondering about the hydraulic clutch system for a T-5 conversion. Here is an informative article about doing this change on a 65-66 Mustang.

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/Mustang/HYD%20Clutch.htm

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

LordMrFord
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
54mainlinetim (9/18/2011)
Thanks to jeffb2 for finding out Borgeson's has came out with some new products, the 2nd and 3rd items down on this link

show a new power steering pump and bracket for y-blocks and also a bolt on power steering box for 52-64 fords..

http://webrodder.com/index.php?page=listProducts&CID=18&pageNum=0

I was already getting my Visa out the wallet, but then I saw the price.

$609 + $344

I got to get quickier steering and gypsies stole my Thunderbird front axle from frontyard of our hall.

Thinked it was metal junk.

Hyvinkää, FI
Tom Compton
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Helped a buddy some with his cavalier rack on 54 wagon and SBF/AOD.  He wanted to stay with his column shift auto.

I have T5 in the 56 and was concerned with Borgeson comment that the power box may not work with original clutch so emailed them.  Quick response was that if clutch linkage was between the power box and the inner fender it would work other wise neeed cable or hydraulic.  Still have to shorten the steering shaft 3".  Wo0n't work with column shift linkage.

Grady, he of the above 54 wagon, was at Good Guys this WE and saw several with the Borgeson unit.

Available at Summit for less than $580 IIRC.  Search 800115.

Good luck.

You gotta have the right tools and know how to use 'em.

TC - Austin, Texas

Reading This Topic

Site Meter