Borgeson's yblock power steering pump and and ford 52-64 gear box

Posted By 54mainlinetim 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Borgeson's yblock power steering pump and and ford 52-64 gear box

Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)First Time Poster (1 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Hi tom, wanted to ask can a normal wheel drive be converted into power wheel drive by proper modifications, can you suggest the modifications needed if it is possible.

Blinds Auckland
Grizzly
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
To add to this topic. I like the look of the borgeson set up as it is recirculating ball not rack and pinion. Yes rack and pinion is great but most have variable ratio which I hate. Minimal changes under the KISS system is intelligent.

Borgeson use a Aisin power steering box borrowed from a range of Isuzu and other japanese SUV's. I found this  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150827114092?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 

on ebay item 150827114092 which is a adaptor plate which would be a lot cheaper and also avoid the welding of cast iron.

There is a far bit of positive feed back from mustang forums on the borgeson unit. For Me I need RHD so the information and plate will serve as a template and hopefully I can find the same steering box mirror imaged for Australian use. I've ordered the plate and it will take me a good while to get on with the conversion.

Cheers

Warren

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)

LordMrFord
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Grizzly (7/13/2012)

Borgeson use a Aisin power steering box borrowed from a range of Isuzu and other japanese SUV's. I found this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150827114092?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 

on ebay item 150827114092 which is a adaptor plate which would be a lot cheaper and also avoid the welding of cast iron.

That is good to know. Here is plenty of those old Isuzu's in junkyards, so I must start calling my friends if they can locate one good donor.

Hyvinkää, FI
LordMrFord
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

BTW. Can you use Ford Pitman arm with Isuzu?

Hyvinkää, FI
Grizzly
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

Lordmrford,

This is a problem that I have yet to completely sort. I'm in no way associated with the sale on ebay I did however contact the seller and ask the same question about getting a pitman arm. He suggested heating and bending the isuzu arms, removing the spline and installing it into the Ford one. Cutting the head off one arm and welding it to the other.

Internet research suggests that the ford one can be heated and stretched onto a spare shaft. This suggests that the ford spline is smaller than the isuzu one so it might be possible to cut the isuzu spline into the ford arm. There is also custom pitman arms available through hot rod or 4WD sources.

Australia has restrictive athorities so changing things like pitman arms is difficult. I'll try to attach the sellers email on another posting.

Cheers

Warren

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)

Grizzly
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Quote,

Hi,Here are pics of several different pitman arm mods to connect the Ford arm to the Isuzugear.
1, 2, 3: Grind down or drill out stock splines, turn down Isuzu splines, clock, insert andweld on top and bottom.
4: Modified Isuzu short arm. Cut off top piece. Put in a press, heat and bend
5: Modified Isuzu long arm. Cut off top piece. Put in a press, heat and bend
6, 7, 8: Cut Isuzu am. Cut Ford arm. Weld together 

LordMrFord
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Grizzly (7/20/2012)
Lordmrford,

Australia has restrictive athorities so changing things like pitman arms is difficult. I'll try to attach the sellers email on another posting.

I think you can get in jail in Finland, if DIY Pitman arm breaks in action. Everything is illegal in nowdays...

Interesting stuff you got.

Hyvinkää, FI
Grizzly
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

lordmrford,

there will be a way to sort out the pitman arm issue but it will be the right way, the safe way and the leagle way.

the swap makes a lot of sense as the right hand worm gears are scarce and a weak point to start with.

cheers

Warren

5d6fairlane
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

I just ordered the gear box so I can get it mounted before motor goes in.
Rono
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
What about a Unisteer unit? Anyone tried one? They advertise that they are made specific for Y-Blocks and will work, (I Think) with a standard transmission. You do have ti cut down your stock steering column, but you can use  a custom column if you tell them in advance, before ordering the kit. CHeck out their site;

http://www.unisteer.com/?gclid=CJKZuuvisLICFQcTNAodpn0AXw

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Reading This Topic

Site Meter