Borgeson's yblock power steering pump and and ford 52-64 gear box

Posted By 54mainlinetim 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Borgeson's yblock power steering pump and and ford 52-64 gear box

Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Guy's,

This project is far from being on my front burner but I have this additional information.

For those who have a rack fitted which is too light I am aware of these two solutions http://www.heidts.com/_uploaded_files/in-064.pdf which has already been mentioned and http://borgeson.com/instructions/899001.

I have bought in the adaptor plate which I mentioned earlier. The right hand drive aisin power steering box which is the mirror image of the one used the the borgeson kit was available in Australia in a Holden Jackaroo (1999) attached are photo's of the box with the adaptor plate attached.

cheers

Warren

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)

grandpas4dr56
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I am using a rack and pinion out of an early model grand am and made my own brackets. I cut the column just below the shifter bracket on the 56 big car. As for the shifter i am using a cable shifter from b and m on the aod. For the power steering pump i am going to go with an electric pump and mount it under the car so it cannot be seen. Thats if i cannot find a manual steering rack and pinion. The car around the neighborhood without the ps pump steers greateven around the driveway it steers with one finger. I would imagine if i can find a manual rack just like the ps one it would be great. Just my experience.

Dont judge me, you dont know my situation.
tarheel
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I have a question I'd like to ask - I'm thinking about using the Borgeson box in my '56 but one thing has me stumped. I'd really like to use the original column ( I know it will have to be shortened) and the original steering wheel, but the horn wire running through the steering mast and the steering box is a problem. Has anyone converted a 50s Ford steering wheel to the scrub type of connection where the wire runs outside the steering mast and uses a sliding connection to a conductive plate on the steering wheel? I don't like the idea of having a horn button on the column or the dash.

Larry
oldcarmark
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hello Larry! You might want to look at the "Unisteer" rack and pinion kit fror 55-56 Ford Cars.They have a horn wire connection that uses the original top half of the steering column.Might give you an idea how to use the original horn wire.Unisteer has a website.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
lyonroad
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Larry, I have. In my '56 Merc M100 with the Toyota steering box. I made two copper plates attached to 1/16" (or 1/8" I can't remember) ABS plastic. They sit above the signal switch. One plate is connected to the horn lead that enters the steering column along with the signal light wires. The upper plate is wired to the steering wheel adapter where the horn button contacts it. I have an after market steering wheel and I had to remove a bit of material on the underside of the adapter to make room. I also had to attach some tabs to the bell on the steering column and some notches in the lower abs plate to keep it from turning. I am installing the Borgeson power box on my '55 Fairlane and I will do the same thing. I plan to use the stock steering wheel and may have to remove some material on the under side of it to make room. If you are interested I can take the one on the pick up it apart and take some pictures.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
LordMrFord
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Omega's steering gear what is used by some local early Mustang folk. Those say that is better than the Flaming River gear. Looks like same size, but needs adapter plate, modding some headers and stuff. Biggest mystery is gonna be adapting the pitman arm.

Hyvinkää, FI
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Grizzly (10/2/2012)
Guy's,This project is far from being on my front burner but I have this additional information.

For those who have a rack fitted which is too light I am aware of these two solutions http://www.heidts.com/_uploaded_files/in-064.pdf which has already been mentioned and http://borgeson.com/instructions/899001.

I have bought in the adaptor plate which I mentioned earlier. The right hand drive aisin power steering box which is the mirror image of the one used the the borgeson kit was available in Australia in a Holden Jackaroo (1999) attached are photo's of the box with the adaptor plate attached.

cheers

Warren

Warren, yes previously that great compact long sector box was in the old toyota cressidas and crown, i used them to convert 65 T bird to RHD, they are long gone so good to know they are in something more available here. I like the plate bolted to s/box, i had seen some similar adaption offered but plate was welded to box and that makes me nervous.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

PF Arcand
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Larry: The outside the column horn feed wasn't just a G. M. design. Fords from 1958 on use a similar setup, c/w recirculating ball bearing inards in the box. A complete 58 column setup can be converted to a 57 car, but I don't know if it would work without substantial mods on a 1956.

Paul
Grizzly
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

Bill,

So you recognise this box from your previous conversions? If you do it gives me some of piece of mind. what were you using for pitman arms?

regards

Warren

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Grizzly (6/11/2013)
Bill,

So you recognise this box from your previous conversions? If you do it gives me some of piece of mind. what were you using for pitman arms?

regards

Warren

Warren, i used it on 64 65 T Birds, i,m guessing you havent offered it up on chassis yet to see how pitman arm goes, check if splines are same as cusso? regards bill

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter