Profile Picture

Cylinder head comparison on the 312

Posted By Ted 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
yalincoln (1/12/2012)
hi ted, you'll want to mic. the comp. pads on those ECL heads. they used two diff. heights. also, how were they getting 62cc heads on the 56 nascar engines shown in the specs. sheet i posted. they don't list head casting #, thanks.

Wayne.  The ECL-C heads that were donated to the cause measure out at 0.990” at the pads on one of the heads and 0.995” on the other.  And both of these heads look to have only been cleanup milled in the recent past.  Unfortunately upon doing a closer examination of these heads, the exhaust seats have been too heavily ground on to be of use without new seats being installed.  Due to the cost of fixing the heads without any future use for them other than a dyno test, the ECL-C heads will not be included in the next round of cylinder head testing.  That’s too bad as these heads have what appears to be some nice port work performed on them.

As an FYI, I have a pair of ECL- B heads off of a 1955 182HP Special 272 that measure 0.975” on both heads at the pads.  This pair of heads looks to be an unmolested set that have never been off the engine until I tore it down.   If I read the 1955 service bulletin correctly, the ECL-B’s were unmilled (1.000” pads) on the 1955 292’s and milled to 0.960” for the 1955 HiPo 272’s.

For the head test that’s been taking place on the ‘312’ dyno mule, there is a particular set of G’s that have been cut down so that they are 53.75cc’s.  And this is a set of G’s that were originally unposted and have had supplemental ‘posts’ added.  A different set of G heads that are being used for the exhaust system tests were milled to 62cc’s.  So milling a set of heads to get down to 62cc’s is quite doable.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

PF Arcand (1/12/2012)
.........I'd say that for regular street performance, Ford got those heads pretty much dead on the money...

Paul.  That was my observation also.  The dead stock G’s are very stout for everyday cruising.  I’ll add that even in the stock G castings there are some variances and picking out a ‘choice’ pair of G’s will make them look better than the average pair.  The quality of the valve job is a big player in all this also.  When performing port work on any of the iron heads, there is typically a trade off in the low end numbers in order to make them show significant gains in the higher rpms.  For increasing the overall performance, the best bang for the buck comes from raising the compression ratio by milling the heads.

PF Arcand
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
First, I'd also like to thank Ted for the considerable work involved in testing & reporting the Heads comparison... Out of interest, I've spent some time studying the 2 charts. First a note, even some "C" heads that weren't listed as milled or ported, apparently were milled at some point, as compressions varied from 8:1 up to 9:1. Taking 8:1 as likely dead stock & comparing that head with the stock "G" heads, both peak H.P. & Torque and the points totals of the "G" heads, were noticeably better. In fact they out performed all 10 Head sets listed below them, up to 3500 rpm., regardless of how they were prepped. And they were only barely tied by two sets from 2500-5500 RPM.,that were milled and ported.They even bested the ported 113 heads up to 3500 rpm., & tied stock Mummert heads to that rpm. It was suggested earlier by a couple of posters, that the "G"s really weren't all that better or worth swiching too. They might want to take another look at Ted's findings. I'd say that for regular street performance, Ford got those heads pretty much dead on the money...

Paul
yalincoln
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
hi ted, you'll want to mic. the comp. pads on those ECL heads. they used two diff. heights. also, how were they getting 62cc heads on the 56 nascar engines shown in the specs. sheet i posted. they don't list head casting #, thanks.

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Keebler (1/10/2012)
That sounds awesome.  I will keep an eye out to hear how well they perform.  Thanks.

Would that be a seeing ear? Chuckle.Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Keebler
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
That sounds awesome.  I will keep an eye out to hear how well they perform.  Thanks.
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Just had a set of ECL-C heads donated to the cause that look to be runable without much work.  As soon as the exhaust tests are wrapped up, there are still some other cylinder heads left to run on the dyno mule so I’ll include the ECL-C heads in that session.  A quick look at those heads show that they’ve already had some port work performed so I’ll take that into consideration when doing the final tally.

Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Keebler (1/5/2012)
.... I just picked up my first y block (I'll try to attach a picture). Its a 292, ECK block with ECL-C heads.  I know you did not test ECL-C heads, but do you know if they compare closely with another head you did test?  Thanks for the help.

As the ECL-C heads have the smaller sized intake valves, the best comparison on the HP chart will be to compare those to the C1TE and C0AE heads which have similar sized valves.  Without actually looking at the port sizes in the ECL heads which I suspect are smaller, that’s the best guess I can throw out there.

Keebler
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Good afternoon Ted,

I just picked up my first y block (I'll try to attach a picture). Its a 292, ECK block with ECL-C heads.  I know you did not test ECL-C heads, but do you know if they compare closely with another head you did test?  Thanks for the help.

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

idaho211 (12/18/2011)
.... Were you using the Best Gaskets?  I have a 312 that looks like it will be .040 over. and stock G heads.  If  I keep it .025 in the hole and Best Gaskets do you think I could squeak by with a static compression of around 9.0:1?  Thank you.
Best Gasket head gaskets are being used on the 312 dyno mule.  The effective cc’s for these particular gaskets are 10.0cc.  Here are the numbers for your combination assuming the G heads are 69cc.  Without actually cc’ing the heads, they could be as large as 72cc and if they’ve been milled, there’s no telling what the combustion chamber volumes are without actually measuring them.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter