Cylinder head comparison on the 312

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic61587.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Ted - 13 Years Ago

Here are the ‘very summarized’ results of how sixteen different pairs of heads recently performed on the 312 dyno mule.  A pair of the ECZ-C’s and C1TE-D’s was a before and after milling comparison which  jumps the number of published tests to eighteen.  The same carburetor, intake, headers, timing, and valve lash was used in all these tests.  The camshaft is a Crower Monarch with 0.450” lift, 238°@0.050”, ground on 110° lobe centers, and installed 2° advanced or 108° intake lobe centerline.    The intake manifold is an unported Mummert dual plane paired up with a 750cfm vacuum secondary Holley sitting atop a 2” oval opening carb spacer.  1.6:1 roller rockers are being used for all tests.  Total ignition timing is 38° BTDC.  For these particular test results, the headers are used with mufflers which helps to keep this particular information set comparable.  The degree or amount of porting when performed on the heads is not listed on this particular chart.

Cylinder Head

Peak HP

Peak Torque

Comp Ratio

Ported

Mummert Aluminum

9.8:1

Yes

Mummert Aluminum

No

9.2:1

Yes

G

9.4:1

Yes

G

10.6:1

Yes

G

9.6:1

Yes

G

Yes

G - stock

No

8.3:1

Yes

ECZ-C – stock

9.0:1

No

ECZ-C – stock

8.6:1

No

ECZ-C – stock

8.1:1

No

ECZ-C       after milling

Yes

ECZ-C       before milling

8.4:1

Yes

C1TE-D    after milling

Yes

C1TE-D    before milling

Yes

COAE-A - stock

8.7:1

No

COAE-A w/larger valves

8.9:1

No

A special thanks goes out to those of you that donated heads, shipping, and/or funds to make all this happen.  For those of you that sent funds without any name(s) on the envelopes, an extra thanks also.  This testing has generated a plethora of information which is being put together for a series of articles for the Y-Block Magazine.

By 46yblock - 13 Years Ago
There is some amazing information in that chart!  A thankyou isnt sufficient, but "Thankyou!" Ted.
By charliemccraney - 13 Years Ago
Some interesting data. In most cases, an increase in compression or port/valve work increase power except in the case of the larger valve C0AE's and the 10.6:1 G's, which performed well but weren't at the top of the G list. It looks like reasonable street performance can be had with virtually any head.

Are you going to score these using the Engine Masters format?

By Glen Henderson - 13 Years Ago
And the ported 113 made more power that the G with less compression.
By yalincoln - 13 Years Ago
Great work, thank you very much, and thanks to all who helped out.
By YellowWing - 13 Years Ago
Thank you Ted ! Wish I had this info when I built my engine, very happy with the way it runs but for the amount it cost to go to G heads I probably would have just done work to my C's.
By skygazer - 13 Years Ago
Awesome info, Ted! Thanks for the amazing work putting this together.

It's interesting that the high-compression stock C heads weren't that far off in power from the stock G heads! It's easy for me to lust for the "best" heads, but the G head valves are only slightly larger and the chamber volume is only slightly smaller. These numbers prove that the difference really isn't that great, from a practical point of view.

You may have just saved me some bucks! Thanks again!

Now, if I could only stop lusting for that tri-power... Smile
By mctim64 - 13 Years Ago
Thanks for the testing Ted!  You do us all a great service. Smile  But I think I will benefit even more when I can bolt those "G" heads on my engine at Bonneville.  I plan on making two full runs with the C1TE heads that are on the engine now (very similar to the ones tested) then swap for the old "Brick" heads and we can see what that change makes on the course. Wink  I also have a Mummert intake to run, but I have a ported "B" on the engine now and will run that with the "G" heads to get an apples to apples test.  As long as my +.060 292 bottom end will hold up and the truck handles good I should be able to make quite a # of runs to compare set ups.

Next year hopefully some CNC ported Mummert heads, I think that is what I will need for a D/PP reacord. Wink

By Y block Billy - 13 Years Ago
Great job as always Ted! Great info.
By Pete 55Tbird - 13 Years Ago
Ted

Once again a great job. Thank you for all your time and effort.

Seeing the results of the cylinder head test and having facts and hard data as opposed to myth, urban ledgends and speculation makes me smile. Since I remember the day when the Yblock G heads were just the ones with the larger intake valves already in them and not the object of almost magical regard this helps to put it into perspective. In the case of the G heads maybe you really do not get what you pay for after all.

So don`t believe everything you hear. Pete

By idaho211 - 13 Years Ago
Ted,

Thank you for running all of those tests on the different heads.  One comparison I see is the Stock G head was 5HP less and 9 ft/lbs more than a stock C1TE head?  I thought the C1TE heads would be alot worse.  I am in the process of changing out my C1TE heads for a pair of G heads on my 272.  Now I am wondering if it will make much of a difference in horse power/torque.  What do you think?

By Ted - 13 Years Ago
idaho211 (7/28/2011)
Ted,  .....  One comparison I see is the Stock G head was 5HP less and 9 ft/lbs more than a stock C1TE head?  I thought the C1TE heads would be alot worse.  I am in the process of changing out my C1TE heads for a pair of G heads on my 272.  Now I am wondering if it will make much of a difference in horse power/torque.  What do you think?
Be sure to look at that ‘Ported’ column on the chart as that separates the stock from the modified heads.  The C1TE heads were ported so they will not be a stock to stock comparison when looking at the stock 'G' heads.  The C1TE heads used in the test were prepared by Tim McMaster to demonstrate that the C1TE heads could be a viable alternative to the the harder to find ‘G’ heads when properly prepared.  On the other hand, the stock COAE heads should be comparable to stock C1TE head performance so use the stock COAE performance numbers for your stock to stock comparison.
By marvh - 13 Years Ago
Ted:

A question on the mule engine.

Are you using the Best gaskets and how deep is the pistons in the hole?

Just wondering when I get to installing the Mummert heads whether I need to "0" deck the engine or not as I am running steel shims now with flat tops 0.015" in the holes.

Thank you for the ton of info in the test.

marv
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
marvh (7/29/2011)
Ted:  A question on the mule engine.
Are you using the Best gaskets and how deep is the pistons in the hole?

Marv.  I’m using the Best Gasket #572 head gaskets on the 312 dyno mule and the pistons are 0.025” in the hole.

Keep in mind that the Mummert aluminum heads utilize a 60cc combustion chamber and that by itself will be a compression ratio increase with all else being the same.  The stock combustion chamber measurements for the G heads are typically rated at 69cc’s while the stock ‘113’ heads are rated at 72cc’s.  If converting from steel shim to composition head gaskets, then add another ~4½ cc’s for the extra volume afforded by the thicker head gaskets.

By PF Arcand - 13 Years Ago
Another thing interesting is the wide divergence of results from the various ported "G" heads. Obviously there's a lot more to porting those heads than just hogging them out. I believe John Mummert has alluded to this fact in YBM in the past. Did he supply any of the "G" heads by chance?
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
PF Arcand (7/29/2011)
Another thing interesting is the wide divergence of results from the various ported "G" heads. Obviously there's a lot more to porting those heads than just hogging them out. I believe John Mummert has alluded to this fact in YBM in the past. Did he supply any of the "G" heads by chance?
Although John donated a stock set of ECZ-C heads for the test, John didn’t do any porting on them.  John only had a hand in porting the aluminum heads but none of the others.  And you’re right on the differences in the G head performances.  Valve angles, quality of the port work, valve sizes, and combustion chamber shrouding are just a few of the variables in determining how a cylinder head ultimately performs.
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
charliemccraney (7/27/2011)
.......Are you going to score these using the Engine Masters format?
Charlie.  I’ll work on putting the head test in a scoring format in the near future.  I’m thinking two scoring formats where one format is 2500-3500 rpms (street driving) and then the 2500-5500 rpm format representing overall performance.  For simplicity I’ll keep the chart in the current order and not rearranged in descending or ascending order based on the scores.  The current order on the chart has the heads grouped by casting number and does tend to help when comparing heads within a group.
By dropped 57 - 13 Years Ago
Ted,  in your opinion,would it be a safe performance mod. to bolt a set of the aluminum heads on a freshly rebuilt 272/292, giving that all necessary factors will be to spec, or new. and do you think that an upgrade like this would net gains comparable to those charted?. Thanks for your time. portland, oregon.
By yalincoln - 13 Years Ago
hi ted, were you using 1.64 valves in the truck heads?
By PF Arcand - 13 Years Ago
The varied comparisons of the "C" & "G" heads is interesting. Ignoring various cost factors & going strickly with Teds' findings, shows stk to stk that the "G" head is noticeably superior in peak power. Up 17 h.p. & 14 lb ft over the "C" heads. When you start comparing stock, milled & or ported heads the water gets murky. Yes, "C"s can be brought fairly close by milling to 9 to 1, resulting in being just 2 h.p. & 8 lb.ft. down. Then ad porting gets them 5 h.p. up, but still 5 lb ft. down, close but all that machining & porting isn't free. And the stk "G"s still maintain the best stk torque rating. And of course the other figures indicate that if suitably modified, they have a lot more potential...
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
dropped 57 (7/30/2011)
Ted,  in your opinion,would it be a safe performance mod. to bolt a set of the aluminum heads on a freshly rebuilt 272/292, giving that all necessary factors will be to spec, or new. and do you think that an upgrade like this would net gains comparable to those charted?. Thanks for your time. portland, oregon.
Aluminum heads added to a 292 are expected to show similar improvements in performance.  And for most scenarios, this would still be on pump gas.  There’s nothing fancy about the 312 dyno mule being used for the cylinder head testing in that it’s using cast pistons with the original design wide rings, stock rods, etc.   The major changes on the bottom end are the camshaft change and the balancing of the rotating assembly.
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
yalincoln (7/30/2011)
hi ted, were you using 1.64 valves in the truck heads?
Yes for the stock COAE heads.  No for the C1TE heads.
By John Mummert - 13 Years Ago
Ted, many thanks for all this info. I am amazed that the 1.64" intake C0AE heads run a well as they do. It looks like C0AE heads with 1.78 or 1.84" intakes and a little blending would make a good street head.

The C1AE heads are much harder to find but do have some subtle changes. Hard to say if they are any better.

A rare head that intrigues me is the ECZ-C-ED. They were used in 56, on pick-ups as far as I can tell, have 1.78" valves and -113 combustion chambers with 1957 style ports. Looks like a good street head. Very HTF.
By Grumpy1 - 13 Years Ago
Hi

Im new but have been on the outside looking in for a long time.  I was wondering if the power curve data is available for this head test.  Im curious to see what rpm these max horse power numbers occur (also the torque).  In my opinion just the max numbers are a little misleading and don't tell the whole story. 

Thanks

By Ted - 13 Years Ago

In lieu of a bunch of graphs that get busy in a hurry, here’s a revised chart using a scoring format to gauge the overall performance.  While I've calculated the scores in the normal 2500-5500 rpm range, I've also included the scores for the 2500-3500 rpm range as this gives a better idea of the lowend torque values of the various heads.  This information was already compiled and comes from the in-depth article that will be in a future issue of the Y-Block Magazine.  The scores are calculated by adding together the average torque and horsepower numbers for the given rpm ranges, multiplying by 1000, and dividing by the cubic inch (322).  The table format in this instance with the scores gives a better overview than a crowded and busy graph.

Cylinder Head

Peak HP

Peak Torque

Comp Ratio

Ported

Score

2500-3500 rpm

Score

2500-5500 rpm

Mummert Aluminum

Yes

Mummert Aluminum

No

113 – LP

Yes

G – Yellow Brick heads

9.4:1

Yes

G – MW

10.6:1

Yes

G – MT

9.6:1

Yes

G - GH

Yes

G - stock

No

8.3:1

Yes

ECZ-C – stock – JF

No

ECZ-C – stock – CL

8.6:1

No

ECZ-C – stock – JM

8.1:1

No

ECZ-C       after milling

Yes

ECZ-C       before milling

Yes

C1TE-D    after milling

Yes

C1TE-D    before milling

Yes

COAE-A - stock

8.7:1

No

COAE-A w/larger valves

8.9:1

No

I’ll add that the ported aluminum heads really shine on those engines that are built to accommodate them.  My roadster engine with the aluminum heads is now peaking at 520 ft/lbs of torque and that was enough to rip the planetaries to shreds a week ago at the Houston NMRA/NMCA race.  Lots of runs on that particular transmission so it wasn’t a total surprise when that occurred.  It’s just the first time I’ve done that kind of carnage with a Y-Block in front of the transmission.

By Grumpy1 - 13 Years Ago
Thanks for posting those numbers.

The numbers i find most interesting are

g-stock heads out perform g-gh heads even though the stock heads are down by 12 horsepower.

g-mt heads out perform g-yellow brick heads with the g-mt heads being down 24 horsepower and 13 torque.

113-lp and g-mt score about the same with the g-mt heads being down almost 30 horsepower.

This is a good test but for me i have more questions then answers.  Also a lot of whys, how comes and what ifs.  I wonder on a stock 292 with a stock cam and intake how these heads would perform.  Why did the coae heads with the larger valves not do well?

Ted this engine is a 312 right.  You said to score the engine divide by the cubic inch (322).  Is this engine a 312 with a 60 overbore or is 322 a misprint.

Thanks again for the numbers and all the hard work-Greg

By charliemccraney - 13 Years Ago
The heads that scored higher produced higher average hp and tq. Peak is for bragging rights. Averages, getting the power up and keeping it there, are what really counts. An engine with less peak power can be the more powerful engine.
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
Grumpy1 (12/10/2011)
....This is a good test but for me i have more questions then answers.  Also a lot of whys, how comes and what ifs.  I wonder on a stock 292 with a stock cam and intake how these heads would perform.  Why did the coae heads with the larger valves not do well?

Ted this engine is a 312 right.  You said to score the engine divide by the cubic inch (322).  Is this engine a 312 with a 60 overbore or is 322 a misprint.

Greg

The dyno engine in this test is a +060 over 312 with the cast pistons still 0.025” in the hole.  Basically a stock rebuild other than the amount of overbore and a Crower camshaft.  More details on the rest of this engine are available at the start of this thread.

As a general rule, porting the stock heads will sacrifice some of the lowend torque values for upper rpm performance.  That has to do with the air velocity at the lower rpms slowing as the intake ports are either made larger or the port walls themselves made smoother.  The intake manifold becomes a serious player once head porting is done.  If the intake manifold does not flow at least as much air as the modified heads, then the intake itself will hold back the potential of the head porting.  And then the actual valve job is a player.  Subtle changes in seat angles can help or kill cylinder head flow which was part of the problem with the larger valves in the COAE heads.

If an engine is not going to be romped on where it sees 5500 rpms or more, then it starts to become a moot point to change intakes, carbs, cams, head porting or any of those other modifications that helps that seat of the pants performance feel.  Fuel economy is another subject though.  For those Y engines that rarely see over 3500 rpms, then the stock 1957 292 or 312 engines give a good basic blueprint for the best combination between efficiency and performance.  For those of us that want more performance, then head work is at the top of the list.

By pegleg - 13 Years Ago
I was really disapointed in the 471's performance, until I realized I was comparing them to  other ported heads.with more compression. Looks like the 113's were fairly good heads. Thank you Ted, unbelievable amount of work and time expended for free.

Frank

By grovedawg - 13 Years Ago
I'm constantly amazed by the work that everyone puts into this website and their willingness to share. Thanks Ted. This was more than an amazing write up.
By idaho211 - 13 Years Ago
Ted,

Thanks for all of the great info. I see your on your +.060 312 mule you said that the pistons were stock .025 in the hole.  Were you using the Best Gaskets?  I have a 312 that looks like it will be .040 over. and stock G heads.  If  I keep it .025 in the hole and Best Gaskets do you think I could squeak by with a static compression of around 9.0:1?  Thank you.

By Ted - 13 Years Ago
idaho211 (12/18/2011)
.... Were you using the Best Gaskets?  I have a 312 that looks like it will be .040 over. and stock G heads.  If  I keep it .025 in the hole and Best Gaskets do you think I could squeak by with a static compression of around 9.0:1?  Thank you.
Best Gasket head gaskets are being used on the 312 dyno mule.  The effective cc’s for these particular gaskets are 10.0cc.  Here are the numbers for your combination assuming the G heads are 69cc.  Without actually cc’ing the heads, they could be as large as 72cc and if they’ve been milled, there’s no telling what the combustion chamber volumes are without actually measuring them.

By Keebler - 12 Years Ago
Good afternoon Ted,

I just picked up my first y block (I'll try to attach a picture). Its a 292, ECK block with ECL-C heads.  I know you did not test ECL-C heads, but do you know if they compare closely with another head you did test?  Thanks for the help.

By Ted - 12 Years Ago
Keebler (1/5/2012)
.... I just picked up my first y block (I'll try to attach a picture). Its a 292, ECK block with ECL-C heads.  I know you did not test ECL-C heads, but do you know if they compare closely with another head you did test?  Thanks for the help.

As the ECL-C heads have the smaller sized intake valves, the best comparison on the HP chart will be to compare those to the C1TE and C0AE heads which have similar sized valves.  Without actually looking at the port sizes in the ECL heads which I suspect are smaller, that’s the best guess I can throw out there.

By Ted - 12 Years Ago

Just had a set of ECL-C heads donated to the cause that look to be runable without much work.  As soon as the exhaust tests are wrapped up, there are still some other cylinder heads left to run on the dyno mule so I’ll include the ECL-C heads in that session.  A quick look at those heads show that they’ve already had some port work performed so I’ll take that into consideration when doing the final tally.

By Keebler - 12 Years Ago
That sounds awesome.  I will keep an eye out to hear how well they perform.  Thanks.
By aussiebill - 12 Years Ago
Keebler (1/10/2012)
That sounds awesome.  I will keep an eye out to hear how well they perform.  Thanks.

Would that be a seeing ear? Chuckle.Smile

By yalincoln - 12 Years Ago
hi ted, you'll want to mic. the comp. pads on those ECL heads. they used two diff. heights. also, how were they getting 62cc heads on the 56 nascar engines shown in the specs. sheet i posted. they don't list head casting #, thanks.
By PF Arcand - 12 Years Ago
First, I'd also like to thank Ted for the considerable work involved in testing & reporting the Heads comparison... Out of interest, I've spent some time studying the 2 charts. First a note, even some "C" heads that weren't listed as milled or ported, apparently were milled at some point, as compressions varied from 8:1 up to 9:1. Taking 8:1 as likely dead stock & comparing that head with the stock "G" heads, both peak H.P. & Torque and the points totals of the "G" heads, were noticeably better. In fact they out performed all 10 Head sets listed below them, up to 3500 rpm., regardless of how they were prepped. And they were only barely tied by two sets from 2500-5500 RPM.,that were milled and ported.They even bested the ported 113 heads up to 3500 rpm., & tied stock Mummert heads to that rpm. It was suggested earlier by a couple of posters, that the "G"s really weren't all that better or worth swiching too. They might want to take another look at Ted's findings. I'd say that for regular street performance, Ford got those heads pretty much dead on the money...
By Ted - 12 Years Ago
PF Arcand (1/12/2012)
.........I'd say that for regular street performance, Ford got those heads pretty much dead on the money...

Paul.  That was my observation also.  The dead stock G’s are very stout for everyday cruising.  I’ll add that even in the stock G castings there are some variances and picking out a ‘choice’ pair of G’s will make them look better than the average pair.  The quality of the valve job is a big player in all this also.  When performing port work on any of the iron heads, there is typically a trade off in the low end numbers in order to make them show significant gains in the higher rpms.  For increasing the overall performance, the best bang for the buck comes from raising the compression ratio by milling the heads.

By Ted - 12 Years Ago
yalincoln (1/12/2012)
hi ted, you'll want to mic. the comp. pads on those ECL heads. they used two diff. heights. also, how were they getting 62cc heads on the 56 nascar engines shown in the specs. sheet i posted. they don't list head casting #, thanks.

Wayne.  The ECL-C heads that were donated to the cause measure out at 0.990” at the pads on one of the heads and 0.995” on the other.  And both of these heads look to have only been cleanup milled in the recent past.  Unfortunately upon doing a closer examination of these heads, the exhaust seats have been too heavily ground on to be of use without new seats being installed.  Due to the cost of fixing the heads without any future use for them other than a dyno test, the ECL-C heads will not be included in the next round of cylinder head testing.  That’s too bad as these heads have what appears to be some nice port work performed on them.

As an FYI, I have a pair of ECL- B heads off of a 1955 182HP Special 272 that measure 0.975” on both heads at the pads.  This pair of heads looks to be an unmolested set that have never been off the engine until I tore it down.   If I read the 1955 service bulletin correctly, the ECL-B’s were unmilled (1.000” pads) on the 1955 292’s and milled to 0.960” for the 1955 HiPo 272’s.

For the head test that’s been taking place on the ‘312’ dyno mule, there is a particular set of G’s that have been cut down so that they are 53.75cc’s.  And this is a set of G’s that were originally unposted and have had supplemental ‘posts’ added.  A different set of G heads that are being used for the exhaust system tests were milled to 62cc’s.  So milling a set of heads to get down to 62cc’s is quite doable.