Profile Picture

Anybody have Tbird FPA headers installed?

Posted By MarkMontereyBay 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Interested if anyone here is running the FPA's in a 57 Bird and what, if any, fitment problems came up.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

Vic Correnti
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have them on my 1955 Tbird that has a standard transmission for the last 10 years. I had to change the grease fitting on top of the idler arm to a shorter one because the 90 degree one did hit the header. The reconfigured stabilizer works with no problems. I was concerned that they would break under launching torque at the drag strip but no problems as of yet.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

bird55
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I also have them. Without any issues. I flipped the heim joints on the the steady rests.

If Vic's not breaking them-you'll be fine!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

Noob
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I'm about to pull the trigger on some FPA's for my `57 bird, but I hope it's ok if curve this topic abit... toward ceramic coating.

If aesthetics or radiant heat werent a concern, wouldnt it be sufficient, if not preferred, to ceramic coat ONLY the insides of the headers?

Also, have done a search of the archives but find no discussion on HEADER WRAP. I personally like the look of it properly applied, but have seen extensive debate on it's deteriorative affect on the headers themselves... though I think the problems have to do with the wrap applied with adhesive rather than the stuff like Thermo-Tec that is water soaked before application so it conforms and "shrinks".

Coat the inside and wrap the outer?

Cheers... Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

Current Experiment = `57 Tbird, Grand Rapids, Michigan

charliemccraney
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Noob (2/28/2011)

If aesthetics or radiant heat werent a concern, wouldnt it be sufficient, if not preferred, to ceramic coat ONLY the insides of the headers?

If you're looking strictly for performance, I don't see why not. If you want them to last more than a few years, coat the outside with something. Headers rust quickly without any protection.

Lawrenceville, GA
55Birdman
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Got them on the 55 for about 5 years now. Fit like a glove. NO issues installing . Well made products are made to fit properly. These do!

55Birdman Smile  Hickory NC
Duck
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (393 reputation)Supercharged (393 reputation)Supercharged (393 reputation)Supercharged (393 reputation)Supercharged (393 reputation)Supercharged (393 reputation)Supercharged (393 reputation)Supercharged (393 reputation)Supercharged (393 reputation)

Been just dying to ask, what's it like "on the other side" any way?

BOO- YA!!! http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/0f6c8c70-4f39-42e0-a021-bc5e.jpg
Noob
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)

Just ordered a pair today from FPA... says they're pretty busy, but within 2-3 weeks... I should check with Ted and see if his mule will still be in header test mode or if he's on to other experiments...

Still debating coating, but now about color rather than versus wrap... thinking how cool and retro white would be (especially after seeing pics posted here of gold motor with white ram's horn manifolds)... they dont offer white, only bright "chrome-ish" or a "resto-silver", the latter having less aluminum-oxide in it and so its suppose to be more durable.

Anyway... its a bit of a splurge but since I cant get JM heads or intake manifold for months or longer, I had to do something with my beans and koolaid savings.

Cheers... Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

GREENBIRD56
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
This note involves the coatings - I decided to stick with the iron manifolds on my outfit - but I mostly wanted the heat control feature of the coating. I got it done by JetHot in Tempe, AZ - and because I was coating one of the "hard to come by" ECJ driverside T-bird manifolds, I asked if there could be a problem if some future owner wanted the original cast iron look. I was told they could simply recoat the outside with the cast iron grey if that was desired - all it takes is money.

Incidently - the inside and outside coating of the iron manifolds dropped their surface temperature by 225°F as the car sat at idle. After a quick check of the temp of the raw castings (to be sure they were the same side for side), I put a newly coated manifold on the RH side and ran my test again - 550° on the raw side - 225° on the coated. I'm absolutely sure it has a beneficial effect on the underhood temperature.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Noob
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Good input... I'm such a knucklehead sometimes, but having come to my wits it's pretty clear that scavange isnt the only bennifit, and if I can lower the temp of the air she's breathing, not to mention any heatsoak opportunities on nearby components, the better call is coating inside AND out... duh!?!

Moving on now to the "trivial" matter of color...

Cheers... Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

Reading This Topic

Site Meter