Profile Picture

OIL PASSAGE QUESTIONS 64 292

Posted By lrs30 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
When I did my compression test, and valve adjustment, I fired it up with the valve covers off, and notice oil only climbing up the push rods, I see that there are 2 small tubes the are bent to aim towards the rocker shaft, should oil come out of those aswell? The seem to be loose fitting and not really pressed into the head. The heads where fairly clean of build up, I did notice a fair amount of build up in the small hole on each rocker.. So I guess my question is should oil come out of the tubes? Would it be in my best intrest to remove and soak the rocker assembly in my parts cleaner and blow out all the holes?  Any and all advice will be taken with great thanks.. Ryan
charliemccraney
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
You should see oil flowing from the tubes. The best thing to do will be to pull the rocker assemblies, take them apart and clean them. When they're off, make sure oil is getting to the passage in the head.

Lawrenceville, GA
lrs30
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)

Is there a diagram around that shows the oil passages or a Y block?
Barry L
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
 Here's a few pics of the passage in the head... the dog leg on the chamber side and the hole under the rocker stand. Oil should flow from the center cam bearing up thru the block (one passage on each side), across the dog leg,up thru the head,thru the rocker stand into the rocker shaft,oiling the rockers ; the excess flows out those tubes to return to the oil pan.    Barry
mctim64
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Is this what you are looking for?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5f5522f5-250e-47be-908f-9e65.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

lrs30
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

MAN I LOVE THIS SITE!, You guys ROCK, I am tearing it down to clean and check this out ASAP!
oldcarmark
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
At the very least you will need to diassemble and clean out the hollow shafts.Several topics on this if you do a search using "search" at top of page.By the way the oil you are seing on the pushrods originates from an oil squirt holet in the front of the rocker arm.There is also one on the back and these small holes are almost always plugged up too.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Fordy Guy
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Also important to mention about the tubes at the end of the rocker shafts is that the oil that comes from these goes down thru the hole in the head and the front one helps to oil the timing chain and the other to oil the distributor gear. There are mixed opinions about closing these tubes off so as to pressurize the rocker shafts for better oiling of the rocker arms. Some members say to insert a small drill bit in the end of the tube and squeeze the tube around the bit to reduce the flow out of the tube and still have an adequate amount of oil to oil the dist gear and timing chain and a higher amount of oil supplied inside the rocker shafts for oiling the rocker arms. 

Once you have the rocker stands removed, spin the engine over to make sure you have an adequate supply of oil coming from the hole from the center main bearing that will feed the rocker shaft.     Hope this helps 

Bud in Northern Arizona on route 66 in Winslow (standin' on the corner)

If you're American, buy American

631/2 Galaxie 500XL 406   55 T-Bird

Y block Billy
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
The early ones flowed down the holes in the ends of the heads, they later changed and the tubes were directed down a pushrod hole. I think the holes in the ends couldn't keep up with the flow and what seeps down those holes after the change was adequate enough for lubricating the dist gear and chain.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

2721955meteor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
my full pressure 292 can idle with the covers off and all the leakage goes down the lower drain holes in the heads, also with full lube oil runs down the push rods. with good lifters and cam the pushrods .rotate well. . when i did the engine made sure to use tried umbrella seals for a ford 289. engine never smokes and oil consumption good. . engine in 1949 mercury. i/2 ton

Reading This Topic

Site Meter