Profile Picture

Identifying the 312 crank

Posted By flathead_jr 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
That's what I did, and that's about what I came up with, other than I can not compensate for an over bore if there is one, but with the information that I have I am fairly sure this is a 312.
charliemccraney
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I think you have a 312. Doing some basic trig, the 312 when measured through the spark plug hole should be about .131" deeper. That's just over 1/8" (.125")

Lawrenceville, GA
flathead_jr
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)

Okay, so I came up with a different idea, since I didn't feel like pulling apart my engine to see which is which, obviously I could take a 292 that I know is a 292 and bring one cylinder to the bottom of it's stoke and measure it. My suspect 312 I did the same thing and when you measure through the spark plug hole, the suspect 312 came up an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch deeper than the 292. The stroke of a 292 is 3.30, and the 312 is 3.44, so wouldn't the deeper measurement indicate 312?
aussiebill
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Ted (8/2/2010)

You are looking for a 5/16” dot on the outer edge of the rear crankshaft flange to positively identify the cranshaft as one from a 312.  That dot  is just about the width of the rear crankshaft flange.  A dot that is ¼” or less in size or multiple dots will indicate a 3.3” stroke or 292 crankshaft.  No dot being present can point you to either a 292 or a 312. 

Ted, you raised the point i was going to make re the dot system, yes the 312 does have a 5/16" flat dot but not to confuse it with Smaller raised dot, I,ve even had cranks with 2 raised dots, one slightly smaller than the other and have allways wondered their application.  Your info now clears this up.  Thank you. regards bill. Hehe

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday

You are looking for a 5/16” dot on the outer edge of the rear crankshaft flange to positively identify the cranshaft as one from a 312.  That dot  is just about the width of the rear crankshaft flange.  A dot that is ¼” or less in size or multiple dots will indicate a 3.3” stroke or 292 crankshaft.  No dot being present can point you to either a 292 or a 312.  Getting back to the blocks, ECZ on the main caps is a resonably good indicator of a 312 engine.

If the crankshaft is at a point where you can see the #1 throw, then look at the lightening hole in that journal.  A 15/16” diameter hole will be a 292 crankshaft while a ¾” hole will be a 312.

Here are some past threads on identifying 312 crankshafts but for the most part reitterates what I just mentioned.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic14196.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic19085.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Nick Brann
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
Hi,  If you go to John Mummert's site, it will show you the proper marking for a 312 crank.  I can't tell from your picture, sorry.  His site is http://ford-y-block.com and there is lots of useful information there.  Good luck, Nick Brann - K.C., MO
flathead_jr
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Yeah I know the block number don't really mean anything, they just give a 50/50 chance. However I was curious to know if what I pictured in the attachment was correct for a 312. I know it is kind of hard to see, but it was dark, and in a close tight area as the engine is sitting on the ground inside, and I had to use a mirror to see it. Is it a correct mark for a 312?
mctim64
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Oldmics (7/31/2010)
Its a 312  Smile

Cant really go by any of the block numbers-only the crank.

Oldmics

Yep! Wink

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Its a 312  Smile

Cant really go by any of the block numbers-only the crank.

Oldmics

flathead_jr
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Ok, so here's the information I have been given , for either a 312, or 292 the block numbers are ECZ-6015A or ECZ-6015C. I think I have the one with the C. Now here's what I have been told that indicates a 312, on the crank flang there will either be a indentation with nothing, 292, or a indentation with a bump or something of the sort, 312, right? I am going to try and post a photo that has the indicator, and let me know if I am right.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter