Profile Picture

Chem Dip isnt working on the carbs!

Posted By 46yblock 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I did a search and nothing came up.  Perhaps this has been covered before.  I've been trying to use Chem Dip (Berryman's) to clean up some carbs but they are not coming out well.  Often there is a blackish deposit that looks bad.  Maybe there is another process after ChemDipping they need to go through, or maybe I am leaving the parts immersed too long.   

Are ultrasonic cleaners the method of choice these days?  I heard some time ago Harbor Freight had an ultrasonic unit.  Anyone using it? 

Mike

Mike, located in the Siskiyou mountains, Southern, OR 292 powered 1946 Ford 1/2 ton, '62 Mercury Meteor, '55 Country Squire (parting out), '64 Falcon, '54 Ford 600 tractor.

Rex59F100
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
Nope you're doing it right...but the cleaners just are not as good as they used to be.  Both the Berrymen Chem Dip and the Gunk Solder(sp?) Seal don't work to well these days. I've been tempted to glass bead my carbs but I'm affraid I won't be able to clean out the passages well enough when I'm done.

I haven't tried an ultrasonic cleaner, closest I got was the dishwaser BigGrin, but it might be worth a shot.

JMO

Rex

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
DO NOT USE YOUR DISHWASHER...trust me, I know from experience and the bill from the local appliance dealer. The grit and crud tend to take out the pump in the dishwasher at the worst, the least is that it will puke up the goo on your dishes and glassware for a long time. Google ultrasonic cleaners that you can build yourself. Environmentally much better and do a good job clearing the small internal passages.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

46yblock
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Rex, I have used glass bead, but like you indicated, it gets everywhere in the carb.  Was able to get it all out after a LOT of washing and blowing.  Looking for a better way. 

Mark, aside from messing up your dishwasher, did it clean the carb?  We need a new dishwasher, and maybe I could move the old one out to the barn if it cleans the carburetors.  Hey maybe it would do a head w00t .

Today I tried immersing for a couple hours in chem dip, then pulled it out and washed with water/brushed with gas, then redid it two more times.  It isnt a good end result.  I'm sure the carb would work fine, but it looks like crap. 

Mike, located in the Siskiyou mountains, Southern, OR 292 powered 1946 Ford 1/2 ton, '62 Mercury Meteor, '55 Country Squire (parting out), '64 Falcon, '54 Ford 600 tractor.

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Nope...the dishwasher deal was a complete cluster F&%k. Dishwashers can digest some soft food stuff but not things like grit or broken glass, etc. Dishwasher's have a miniscule little tin blade under a screen that is supposed to grind up this stuff in the water flow before it goes through the pump. Putting car parts in them is like pouring sand down your carb on a running engine...instant death. I did heat my Sanderson headers for the 65 Galaxie FE to 350 degrees in the oven and then painted them with high temp stuff while the wife was at work. I got away with that and the headers still look good.

Mark

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

geraldchainsaw
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

i've used what they call a vapor blaster on my 94's,   and thats stripped down to the last bolt,  never had any problems,  its the same machine u would use with course or heavier type blasting material,   only its a very fine grit,   just run a air hose thru after your done,     jerry
aussiebill
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
MarkMontereyBay (6/3/2010)
Nope...the dishwasher deal was a complete cluster F&%k. Dishwashers can digest some soft food stuff but not things like grit or broken glass, etc. Dishwasher's have a miniscule little tin blade under a screen that is supposed to grind up this stuff in the water flow before it goes through the pump. Putting car parts in them is like pouring sand down your carb on a running engine...instant death. I did heat my Sanderson headers for the 65 Galaxie FE to 350 degrees in the oven and then painted them with high temp stuff while the wife was at work. I got away with that and the headers still look good.

Mark

Mark, hope the good wife doesnt read this part! did you take the cake out first/Tongue

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Bill,

To be fair, I am the chief cook and bottle washer in our house. Have been for all 30 years of marriage and raising four kids. She does cast a sharp look now and then at my antics but she likes the food and doesn't say much. I took off from home when I was 16 and learned very quickly that if you want to eat regularly, well and cheaply, get a job washing dishes in a decent restaurant. From there I moved up through the ranks learning the fundamentals and developed a keen interest in cooking.

Mark

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

46yblock
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

geraldchainsaw (6/5/2010)
i've used what they call a vapor blaster on my 94's,   and thats stripped down to the last bolt,  never had any problems,  its the same machine u would use with course or heavier type blasting material,   only its a very fine grit,   just run a air hose thru after your done,     jerry

That sounds like a glass bead blasting cabinet, or is it different?

geraldchainsaw
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

u could b right,    i worked at fords near heat treat,   in the heat treat dept they had a heavy duty type blaster that used some black type material, it cleaned up heat treated steel and many other things,   but the other cleaner or blaster was in the fixture dept and used a finer blasting material for fixtures made out of plastic, plaster, aluminum etc,  very fine blasting material white in color,  and thats the one i used for my 94's,  they also sell the small cleaning cabinets at Harbor Freight < which i myself don't like,  but if u have a good compressor they work fine for cleaning wheels etc,  just my opinion,    but like i said,  i've cleaned my 94's with no problems and i run 2 deuces on  my 51,    maybe i;ve answered your question wrong,  are u talking more about a chemical cleaner??????????,   if so forg;et what i've said,     jerry

Reading This Topic

Site Meter