Profile Picture

Comparison of Mummert Heads to Original Ford Castings

Posted By Oldmics 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Gentlemen

Can this thread compare the engineering differences between Mummerts heads and an original stock set of non posted "G" heads.

I have gleamed some of the differences by reading the existing posts in all of the topics but thought a dedicated post for comparing might be helpfull for quick references.

Also any porting suggestions ? Isnt that terrible w00t

All that work and were just waiting to grind em up Hehe

Oldmics

Rono
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hi John;

I'm on the East coast now up in Maine. I could be wrong, but I don't think John's new aluminum heads have the bigger intake valves like the "G" heads.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

aussiebill
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Rono (5/31/2010)
Hi John;

I'm on the East coast now up in Maine. I could be wrong, but I don't think John's new aluminum heads have the bigger intake valves like the "G" heads.

Rono

Here are specifications for the new head

SPECIFICATIONS

VALVE SIZES: 1.94" intake     1.54" exhaust   11/32" stem

VALVE MATERIAL: Stainless steel,

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Rono
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks for correcting me Bill...

Rono.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

So the valves are the same size on the "G" heads as Mummerts?

What is different about the new heads that makes them superior?

Oldmics

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Oldmics:

Intakes are the same, exhausts are .030 bigger than G heads.  What makes them superior?  John Mummert's expertise.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

aussiebill
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Oldmics,

I think you will find there has been port flow improvements & combustion chamber efficiency over the cast heads and for me, the dyno figures indicate somethings different.Tongue

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

pegleg
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Oldmics (5/31/2010)
So the valves are the same size on the "G" heads as Mummerts?

What is different about the new heads that makes them superior?

Oldmics

The ports are vastly superior as cast, and they get better with a grinder. If you know how. The combustion chamber design improves the valve shrouding issue, and requires CONSIDERABLY less timing. Means it works better. the heads are less than half the weight of the factory heads and the engine runs cooler, although the water temp will likely be higher!! work on that for a while! Ted picked up 50+ hp with a set.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Now thats the kind of information I"m looking for.

Is there a diagram of the original head ports and then an overlay of Johns improvements to the ports for comparison.

I"m curious what he did to the ports? Moved them in the new castings-changed the pattern?

Oldmics

Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Oldmics (5/31/2010)
....What is different about the new heads that makes them superior?

Oldmics

The intake valve has been moved closer to where the exhaust valve was or away from the edge of the cylinder wall.  To help this along, the exhaust valve was placed closer to its adjoining cylinder wall.  Both the intake and exhaust valves have also been relocated higher in the bore and closer to the intake manifold.  All this makes for better flow numbers before port improvements come into the picture.  The ports themselves have also been reconfigured internally which just adds to the improvement in flow seen from relocating the valves.

The oil drainage in the valve cover area has been greatly improved on the aluminum heads.  Oil drainage is no longer relying solely on the two oil drain holes at each end of the head as the new head design has oil drainage taking place at some of the pushrod holes.

Add to the list of improvements the use of 14mm sparkplugs and redesigned combustion chambers.  The 14mm spark plugs do sit more inboard than the 18mm plugs on the stock heads which at the bare minimum gives additional spark plug wire room around the headers.  The combustion chamber design likes less total timing which makes the combustion more efficient.  Brake specific fuel numbers are lower which points to better fuel economy if the driver can keep a light foot on the throttle.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter