Profile Picture

Modifying Cast valve covers for breathers.

Posted By charliemccraney 17 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
An attempt at a tech post.

This is the Valve cover before any modification. I believe they are made by Blue Thunder. They match the Blue Thunder intake.

First I drill the hole using a 1 3/16 hole saw. This gets it close to the 1.220" diameter specified for the grommet I used. It actually comes out to about 1.200" with the hole saw - rather than 1.188. They aren't the most accurate.

Next, I use a 1 1/2 grinding stone to grind the fins down and provide a smooth surface for the grommet to mount.

I hand sanded the hole to get it to the 1.220" spec. I tried a brake cylinder hone but the stones wore quite fast. Too much pressure on a small surface area.

Here are some pics of the finished product.

The cover is about 1/8" thick after the fins are ground so there is plenty of meat. I chose the center of the valve cover so that they can be swapped if there is any reason to do so in the future. It falls right in the middle of the rocker shaft so there is no interference with the rocker arms. I am using baffled grommets to prevent oil from leaking through the breather. Hopefully they will work well. If not I'll have to have some baffles installed. I may enlarge the holes another .010" because it is a b!#@* to push the breahters in and I plan to use them as oil fillers.

I don't know if two breathers are necessary. I like symmetry and it seems that too many breathers is better than too few.

Now if I could find some nice cast breathers that sort of match the valve covers! I really don't like chrome. And billet stuff is usually too plain for my taste.

There we have it. It is amazing the things that can be accomplished with simple tools.

Lawrenceville, GA

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Modifying Cast valve covers for breathers. By charliemccraney ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post That's pretty slick - So I could swap the the stock valley cover for... By NewPunkRKR ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie - Looks good to me - What do you think about using epoxy to... By GREENBIRD56 ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post John,
That is exactly what I'm doing. I don't like the way the...
By charliemccraney ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post The Ford tin valve covers that were on my engine to start with, have... By GREENBIRD56 ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post Oh, I know what you are talking about now. I had some valve covers... By charliemccraney ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post I simply drilled out the area at the back of the cast valley cover and... By MoonShadow ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post I opened them up another .010. Much easier to push in. Still tight... By charliemccraney ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post Ok, while on crankcase ventilation. I've noticed a small spot of oil... By NewPunkRKR ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post Sounds like blowby. Valves may need adjusting for the tick. I would... By MoonShadow ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post John: If you are getting a lot of oil drip from your crankcase... By PF Arcand ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post Ok so i did some investigating on the breather. I have a feeling... By NewPunkRKR ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post The single bolt in the cap takes off the cover and filter. Under the... By MoonShadow ( 17 Years Ago )
Forum Post I picked up some Billet Specialties finned, oval breathers. One is... By charliemccraney ( 16 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]charliemccraney (2/24/2008)[/b][hr]Does it matter which... By Ted ( 16 Years Ago )
Forum Post Ted brought a good point about the moisture/vapor being brought out of... By Daniel Jessup ( 16 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Charlie, Just wanted to say that you've got a sweet looking setup... By Nick Brann ( 16 Years Ago )
Forum Post Well, I went ahead and put the PCV Valve on the passenger-side. It... By charliemccraney ( 16 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie. Looks Great! Definitely show car truck... By Ted ( 16 Years Ago )
Forum Post like it! By bird55 ( 16 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charley this is starting to make me very shy about taking pictures of... By GREENBIRD56 ( 16 Years Ago )
Forum Post I appreciate the kind words. I'm trying, slowly but surely, to get it... By charliemccraney ( 16 Years Ago )
Forum Post Just an update. It's working fine with the pcv valve on the passenger... By charliemccraney ( 16 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter