Profile Picture

Modifying Cast valve covers for breathers.

Posted By charliemccraney 17 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 27 minutes ago
Just an update.  It's working fine with the pcv valve on the passenger side.  This is yet another option for those wanting to install a PCV, or breather system.

Lawrenceville, GA
charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

I appreciate the kind words. I'm trying, slowly but surely, to get it as show as a driven vehicle can be. I'll install an aluminum line for the vacuum advance once I get my ignition system all figured out. I don't like the vacuum hose draped over the intake.

Lawrenceville, GA
GREENBIRD56
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Charley this is starting to make me very shy about taking pictures of my stuff.......

Try using a piece of formed 3/16 brake tubing (with rubber tips) for that one last vacuum tube to the distributor. Mimics the factory steel tubing a bit and matches all of that great formed tubing you already have on there.

Ted's right, this has the look of show truck stuff.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

bird55
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
like it!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Charlie.  Looks Great!  Definitely show car truck material.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Well, I went ahead and put the PCV Valve on the passenger-side.  It sounds like it should be fine.

To add to the technical aspect of this thread:

I had to remove the baffled breather grommets.  It seems they severely restricted the ability of the breathers to breath.  The dipstick would get pushed out of the tube about 1/2".  After replacing the baffled grommets with regular grommets this was not an issue.  It also seems like I chose a very good location for the breathers.  Oil does not seep out of the breathers at all, without baffles installed.  Any of the three locations between each pair of rocker arms will probably work just as well as there is nothing immediately below it to sling oil.

Lawrenceville, GA
Daniel Jessup
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ted brought a good point about the moisture/vapor being brought out of the block. Most fellas seem to think they have an oil leak on their crankcase breather (side of block), when in all actuality, it is just condensation leaking down from the cannister. There may be some oil that tries to mix in with the condensation, but you can pretty much tell that it is mostly water when you place a piece of paper or cardboard underneath of it.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
charliemccraney (2/24/2008)
Does it matter which valve cover the PCV breather is in?

Rule of thumb is for the PCV valve pathway to the engine to be as far away from the vented breather as possible.  This allows for a longer air path through the engine and potentially allows for more moisture and/or vapor to be picked up and reburned.  On the Y where the breather is at the front, the factory PCV location was installed in valley cover at the rear.  In those instances, the factory put a baffle on the lower side of the valley cover to force a longer path for the air.  If putting the breather in a valve cover, then the other valve cover would be the logical choice for the PCV  hose but nothing says that the PCV still couldn't be put in the valley cover in this particular instance.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Nick Brann
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
Hi Charlie,  Just wanted to say that you've got a sweet looking setup with those modified valve covers.  Looking forward to seeing them with the Billet Specialties breathers.  It shouldn't matter which side you put the PCV breather in.  On my T-Bird I tapped into the back of a 1/2" carb spacer, and the PCV is in the back of the valley pan.  Have fun, Nick Brann
charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I picked up some Billet Specialties finned, oval breathers.  One is PCV the other is Just a breather.  They're billet, but they look pretty nice.  They're prettier than the K&N filters I was using.  I'll get some pictures in a few days.  They seem to work well.  I've been out on a drive and the dipstick hasn't been pushed out due to crankcase pressure.

Does it matter which valve cover the PCV breather is in?  I want to put it on the passenger-side because the driver side is somewhat cluttered with the fuel line and vac advance hose.  My firebird has the PCV valve in the driver-side valve cover with the intake on the passengersside valve cover so I'm wondering if there is any reason they do it that way.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter