Profile Picture

Latest update?

Posted By yehaabill 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Y-Guys       What's the latest news on the heads? Frank-Ted-Jim????

Bill

Bill

Pelham,Al

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
When I talked to John couple weeks ago, he didn't sound all that optimistic. Usual foundry problems maybe?

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
SOCAL PETE
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
I am going by John's tomorrow.

I will get a update.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Pete,

Do me a favor and have him show you my stroker short-block (awaiting shipment), and remind him to send the invoice/spec. sheet/carrier info.

A digital photo would be nice (?) if you have camera along (don't want to bother/pressure HIM, since many are waiting for the heads, and no rush on this end).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
In the latest YBM, Bruce wrote in his editorial that the foundry casting the heads had to move, causing a delay.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
John Mummert
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I know that many are (im)patiently waiting for word on the aluminum heads. It's hard to believe that its been nearly a year since we cast the first head shown in YBM. There have been so many set backs in the last 12 month that I don't know where to start.

The foundry told me last October that they were going out of businessw00t. However, they were able to downsize both in square footage and payroll and keep the doors open. Smile They were basically OOB for nearly 6 weeks.

We have cast a few heads this year and it appears that we have identified and corrected the problems we encountered.

While all this was going on I also took on making castings of a new valley cover, alternator bracket and intake manifold. When we got a quote to machine the manifolds and extrapolated what the cost of machining the heads would add to the bill it seemed logical to buy a machine center and do this in house. I then found a 6 month old machine with a 4th axis on epay. It was a repo and only 100miles from our shop. Too good to be true! Purchase and delivery were arranged and the rep came and set it up. The 4th axis unit was still in the crate, never installed. The rep connected it while it was still in the crate and felt that it was drawing a little more current than it should but felt it would free-up with a little use.

Since the center line of the horizontal 4th axis was too low to swing an intake manifold, spacer blocks needed to be built to raise it approx 2.5". A tail stock was made from an import rotary table. All is going well! The day came to install the spacer blocks, 4th axis and tailstock. It won't fit in the machine's cabinetw00t. It wouldn't even fit without the spacers! So the enclosure of the 4th axis and the spacers needed to be modified to fit.

Once again we are back on track! Install everything and the 4th axis won't even run! The rep says its now out of warranty being over 1 year old. So, a couple of days of messing with it and it seems to work okay.

Then comes the fun of building fixtures for alt brackets, valley covers and the intake. This consumes the next 4months. There also is the small issue of learning how to program a cnc machine, something I have no clue how to do. Earn as you learn.

Please realize I'm writing this to bring you up to speed, not just sing the blues. Just so you understand that no one has given up on the head project. There have just been many more obstacles. More than I'm saying here.

Your patience is appreciated!   John

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
John:

Thanks for the update.  I'll bet Pegleg is about the only guy here who truly understands what you have gone through.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Glen Henderson
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I don't think that most of us realize all the problems than can crop up with a project of this magnitude not too mention the expense. I know that Frank had foundry problems with his products and with the economy being like it is I understand as I am sure others do. But please be aware that we all appreciate your efforts and I for one steer newcomers looking for parts and information your way. I am holding off on a intake until you let us know that it is ready for shipment. And once again welcome to the site.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
John Mummert
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Thanks John and Glen. I'm trying to add a spec sheet for the heads but site is NOT cooperating.

CASTINGS: Cast at local foundry in El Cajon, Calif USA

CASTING NUMBER: ECZ-G in original location 3/8" letters

COMPATIBILITY: All stock location externally. Will accept stock intake manifolds, exhaust, rocker arms, valve covers. Roller rockers will require different spacing due to altered valve spacing.

EXTERIOR APPEARANCE: As close to original as possible. Horizontal parting line like mid-1959 and later heads. Non-negotiable.

VALVE SIZE: 1.94" X 1.50 to 1.54". 11/32" single groove keeper, 45 degree seats.

AIR FLOW:  Sample test head that ports were copied from: 255cfm intake  179cfm exhaust. Out of box est. 230int 170 ex.

DECK THICKNESS: .600"

HEAD BOLTS: 7/16". ARP bolts & washers supplied with heads. Modifications up to purchaser. Use of original head bolts will void any and all warrantees.

VALVE SPRINGS: 1.44" diameter 115# seat, chrome moly retainers, hardened & machine keepers, hardened spring cups

VALVE SEATS: Exact material to be determined. Ductile iron, powdered metal or ?

SPARK PLUGS: 14mm 3/4" reach. Moved .400" closer to exhaust valve centerline (away from intake valve).

COMBUSTION CHAMBER: approx 62-64cc. It is impossible to determine from the pattern. Only a fully machined casting can be checked. As pointed out earlier in this thread aluminum heads actually need a higher CR than iron heads due to heat loss. When feasible large chamber heads will be made available.

BARE CASTINGS: Will be available. Guide sizing and valve job un-finished.

ROCKER OILING: Stock. Haven't figured an easy way to oil stud mount rockers

WILL ANSWER QUESTIONS AS THEY COME UP

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

John Mummert
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thought I'd add a pic. Will probably cause more questions than answers. As with the spark plug clearance in another thread please remember that this is a prototype. There will be changes and issues resolved. If you can see a problem from the pics, we've probably already seen it too.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter