Latest update?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic28100.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By yehaabill - 15 Years Ago
Y-Guys       What's the latest news on the heads? Frank-Ted-Jim????

Bill

By DANIEL TINDER - 15 Years Ago
When I talked to John couple weeks ago, he didn't sound all that optimistic. Usual foundry problems maybe?
By SOCAL PETE - 15 Years Ago
I am going by John's tomorrow.

I will get a update.
Pete,

Do me a favor and have him show you my stroker short-block (awaiting shipment), and remind him to send the invoice/spec. sheet/carrier info.

A digital photo would be nice (?) if you have camera along (don't want to bother/pressure HIM, since many are waiting for the heads, and no rush on this end).
By Hoosier Hurricane - 15 Years Ago
In the latest YBM, Bruce wrote in his editorial that the foundry casting the heads had to move, causing a delay.
By John Mummert - 15 Years Ago
I know that many are (im)patiently waiting for word on the aluminum heads. It's hard to believe that its been nearly a year since we cast the first head shown in YBM. There have been so many set backs in the last 12 month that I don't know where to start.

The foundry told me last October that they were going out of businessw00t. However, they were able to downsize both in square footage and payroll and keep the doors open. Smile They were basically OOB for nearly 6 weeks.

We have cast a few heads this year and it appears that we have identified and corrected the problems we encountered.

While all this was going on I also took on making castings of a new valley cover, alternator bracket and intake manifold. When we got a quote to machine the manifolds and extrapolated what the cost of machining the heads would add to the bill it seemed logical to buy a machine center and do this in house. I then found a 6 month old machine with a 4th axis on epay. It was a repo and only 100miles from our shop. Too good to be true! Purchase and delivery were arranged and the rep came and set it up. The 4th axis unit was still in the crate, never installed. The rep connected it while it was still in the crate and felt that it was drawing a little more current than it should but felt it would free-up with a little use.

Since the center line of the horizontal 4th axis was too low to swing an intake manifold, spacer blocks needed to be built to raise it approx 2.5". A tail stock was made from an import rotary table. All is going well! The day came to install the spacer blocks, 4th axis and tailstock. It won't fit in the machine's cabinetw00t. It wouldn't even fit without the spacers! So the enclosure of the 4th axis and the spacers needed to be modified to fit.

Once again we are back on track! Install everything and the 4th axis won't even run! The rep says its now out of warranty being over 1 year old. So, a couple of days of messing with it and it seems to work okay.

Then comes the fun of building fixtures for alt brackets, valley covers and the intake. This consumes the next 4months. There also is the small issue of learning how to program a cnc machine, something I have no clue how to do. Earn as you learn.

Please realize I'm writing this to bring you up to speed, not just sing the blues. Just so you understand that no one has given up on the head project. There have just been many more obstacles. More than I'm saying here.

Your patience is appreciated!   John

By Hoosier Hurricane - 15 Years Ago
John:

Thanks for the update.  I'll bet Pegleg is about the only guy here who truly understands what you have gone through.

By Glen Henderson - 15 Years Ago
I don't think that most of us realize all the problems than can crop up with a project of this magnitude not too mention the expense. I know that Frank had foundry problems with his products and with the economy being like it is I understand as I am sure others do. But please be aware that we all appreciate your efforts and I for one steer newcomers looking for parts and information your way. I am holding off on a intake until you let us know that it is ready for shipment. And once again welcome to the site.
Thanks John and Glen. I'm trying to add a spec sheet for the heads but site is NOT cooperating.

CASTINGS: Cast at local foundry in El Cajon, Calif USA

CASTING NUMBER: ECZ-G in original location 3/8" letters

COMPATIBILITY: All stock location externally. Will accept stock intake manifolds, exhaust, rocker arms, valve covers. Roller rockers will require different spacing due to altered valve spacing.

EXTERIOR APPEARANCE: As close to original as possible. Horizontal parting line like mid-1959 and later heads. Non-negotiable.

VALVE SIZE: 1.94" X 1.50 to 1.54". 11/32" single groove keeper, 45 degree seats.

AIR FLOW:  Sample test head that ports were copied from: 255cfm intake  179cfm exhaust. Out of box est. 230int 170 ex.

DECK THICKNESS: .600"

HEAD BOLTS: 7/16". ARP bolts & washers supplied with heads. Modifications up to purchaser. Use of original head bolts will void any and all warrantees.

VALVE SPRINGS: 1.44" diameter 115# seat, chrome moly retainers, hardened & machine keepers, hardened spring cups

VALVE SEATS: Exact material to be determined. Ductile iron, powdered metal or ?

SPARK PLUGS: 14mm 3/4" reach. Moved .400" closer to exhaust valve centerline (away from intake valve).

COMBUSTION CHAMBER: approx 62-64cc. It is impossible to determine from the pattern. Only a fully machined casting can be checked. As pointed out earlier in this thread aluminum heads actually need a higher CR than iron heads due to heat loss. When feasible large chamber heads will be made available.

BARE CASTINGS: Will be available. Guide sizing and valve job un-finished.

ROCKER OILING: Stock. Haven't figured an easy way to oil stud mount rockers

WILL ANSWER QUESTIONS AS THEY COME UP

Thought I'd add a pic. Will probably cause more questions than answers. As with the spark plug clearance in another thread please remember that this is a prototype. There will be changes and issues resolved. If you can see a problem from the pics, we've probably already seen it too.

By Eddie Paskey - 15 Years Ago
Hey John!!   WOW!!!   Thank you for not giving up!!   Also thank you for coming on the site and sharing you vast knowledge, that's what is so wonderful about this forum, everyone willing to share so we can all learn!!!   God Bless you and your family--   Eddie
By Joe Johnston - 15 Years Ago
John - I am a retired wood and metal patternmaker who spent over 30 years in a very large foundry's machine shop.   I fully appreciate the magnitude of your undertaking in developing and improving new parts and making them fit an existing application.   Prototyping in the industry used to take several years, and we had the full co-operation of the foundry at our disposal.  Many preproduction samples were cast and then sawed up for evaluation before small runs of castings were even machined and assembled to run on test engines.  It takes time and a great deal of perserverance to work through all the issues.  Can't imagine what it would be like to fight all the normal issues and then have to deal with the problems of a struggling foundry.

We went through the learning curve of programming CNC machines.   Tons of programs and software companies are available.  All are good, some are better.  Only bit of wisdom I can give are to start with a major provider of software, and not get overwhelmed with all the bells and whistles.  Learn how to do the minimum required for the task at hand and in time the advanced features will come in to play.   Large software suppliers have tech help and instructors who come to your shop.   They want to make you happy so you stay with them!   Every programmer has their preferance of software and controllers for the mill.  Many vocational and tech schools also have programming classes.  Several of our pattern makers/machinists also worked part time to assist other small shops (or had their own) to help the learning curve.  Perhaps there is a machine shop in your area you could get help from.  

Its a huge investment, not just in money, but time and energy as you well know.

Keep up the good work!

J

Joe, thank you for your insight. The particular machine we have has a Centroid controller. Although it is not the most common we wanted it for 2 reasons. First, it is "conversational", which means it has has a fill in the blanks type format available as opposed to being G-code and M-Code only. It can be programmed in G and M code for the people that are familiar with it. I am not.

Secondly, it is the same controller found on most CNC porting machines. I don't know if we will ever get to the point where we can afford one (135-190K) but if so we will be familiar with the controller.

The downside of this controller is that there are very few in the area and the closest rep is 120 miles away.

We did cut up the first head shown in the pictures. There were areas that needed to be changed. I think these problems have been addressed. I'm quite happy with the shape of the ports etc, all the issues now are in gating and risers. I think we have found the source of the problems with the last 2 castings. The foundry has ordered 10 sets of cores which should be in next week. Unfortunately, the foundry is only able to make cores in heated aluminum core boxes while mine are wood/plastic.

I'll post some updates if we get to cast a head or 2 next week.

John
By SOCAL PETE - 15 Years Ago
I have to second all the that.

Having some machine and casting knowledge; I have a slight clue of what John is going thru.

One would think it is easy just to copy the stock heads and put them on the market. Oh no this is not same animal as a sbf or a sbc head.

John has basically re engineered this animal.
By Joe Johnston - 15 Years Ago
Playing with the gating system is an art form in itself.   The latest solid modeling software makes it much easier, but an experienced patternmaker can usually solve the problems. So many things are going on at the same time when pouring metal, it was always amazing we got what we wanted !!!!   Several of our smaller parts needed the gating design changed for summer and winter!  Iron doesn't flow the same when the mold is cold in winter as it does in 140 degree sand in the summer.   Same for AL3.   We cast small compresser parts for Fridgidare and the Detroit Diesel truck I6 and V8 blocks.   Lots of other parts in between with volumes measured in tons/hr.  Good old days, and I'm glad I'm retired!!!

DON"T GIVE UP

J

By Don Woodruff - 15 Years Ago
I hope John is reserving some time on the porting bench for those who want the max from the new heads.
I noticed from recent HRM article (pub. library), that 427 SOHC aluminum heads are now being made (an engine that never even came in a production car). Maybe if Y-Blocks had not been such sturdy survivors, more people would be looking for repro parts to recreate them too? Quite a conundrum.
By charliemccraney - 15 Years Ago
Are the SOHC blocks any different than the regular blocks? If they are the same, then it sorta makes sense. There are a lot more FEs around than Y's.
Different, but still interchangeable. Even the blocks with DOHC specialty machining are available in alum. though.
Finally lit a fire under the local foundry. Basically, told them I wanted to take the head project to another foundry. I was quite serious and still will if all doesn't go well.

So they cast another head. Another disappointment. w00t:

I happen to remember something Frank R had mentioned in a conversation last year. He said that some patterns cast better upside down. Mentioned this idea to the foundry owner and they tried it. We now have 4 castings that look good.Smile

So now the head is being cast with the deck surface on top instead of the rocker stands. This seems to have cured the problem of the water jacket core breaking loose and floating up. The sand core is now under compression and can't go anywhere.

Because we will be holding the head in a totally different manor than Ford originally did, building the fixture to hold the new casting will be easy. What will be difficult is attaching a factory head to the machine in the same location to pick up gasket surface heights. I've made a sketch of what I think will work, just need to get started on making it.

Things are looking up. Will post updates as work progresses.

By bird55 - 15 Years Ago
John, thanks for all your hard work. I know this must be a daunting task. I admire that you're sticking with it.
By 1964fordf100292 - 15 Years Ago
ALL HAIL JOHN MUMMERT THE Y-GOD. John, I don't know if anyone has ever told you this or not but you are awesome. Aluminum heads for the Y-block. that's just flipping downright awesome.

Thank you John.
Thanks to all of you for the encouragement! Things are looking up and I feel much more confident than 2 months ago.

Still a few hurdles to get over but it seems like the finish line is in sight.

By Eddie Paskey - 15 Years Ago
Thanks John for Not Giving Up!!! Appreciate all the insights you give all of us.

God Bless,

Eddie
By msmith946 - 15 Years Ago
John,

Thanks for the tour and the chat last week.  It cleared some things up and helps me in the direction I want to go.

Regards,  Marc

By Ol'ford nut - 15 Years Ago
Any update? It's been a month since the last one. In production yet?
We have decided to try a new foundry. I had hoped to use the local foundry but confidence has slipped over the past few months.

We had the head foundry guy down from the new foundry last week to look things over. They are all at the SEMA show this week so nothing is happening this week.

The plan is to deliver the patterns next week. They will make recommendations regarding gating so I can make necessary changes. I had hoped to have cores and castings made at one location but the new foundry is too automated for our core boxes and it will take too much modification to make them compatible with their equipment. So the core boxes will go to a separate core shop.

I am confident that we can get into production soon as this foundry casts heads every day and should have encountered any problems that might crop up before and know how to deal with them.

With a little luck we can get this show on the road.

By pegleg - 15 Years Ago
Good idea!!
By Jim - 15 Years Ago
To echo many others, thanks John for hanging in there on this. I have a motor at Ted's that is ready to go together once we have a set of heads to cc. Can't wait to see the gains in hp and torque over our old heads!
Thanks guys for keeping the "fayth" as Jerry would say. I know as time drags on these projects start to sound like a pipe dream unless there are some results.

We are scheduled to deliver the patterns on Friday the 13th. I hope there is nothing to that superstition. I will then need to make the necsessary changes to gating and deliver the match plate back to them.

They talk as if they can get to this project fairly quickly so we should know something soon.

Let's keep our fingers crossed, just in case we need it.

By Ted - 15 Years Ago
John.  Thanks for the updates.  These have to help reduce the number of phone calls and allow you to get more done as a result.
Delivered the match plate with revisions to the Edelbrock foundry yesterday. They have a very defined way of going about things and it took some time to make the changes. They seem confident that they can make castings from our tooling. I have to think that they will be able to rectify any issues that might come up since they cast 100's of heads a week.

The Holidays will hold things up a bit but they should be able to make some samples fairly quickly. Hopefully all will go well and there won't be an extended period of trial and error.

I will keep you guys posted as things progress. Thanks for your patience.

By Fordy Guy - 15 Years Ago
     John,

Will these heads be sold as Edelbrocks or are they making these for you with your name on the head?

By kidcourier - 15 Years Ago
  John,   Is Edelbrock going to cast the heads then ship them to you for grinding and polishing and valve installation,also,will the heads have your name cast on them like your manifold?By the way,I work acrossed the street from the foundry in San Jacinto,Ca. so if you need any pickup or delivery--call me !(LOL) KID
Edelbrock is going to cast the heads purely on a job shop basis. No different than the previous foundry. I went to them because they cast so many heads I felt they could handle the problems that arise trying to do castings.

They did tell me they like to put their "E" or "EF" logo in the valve cover area. I have no problem with that. The heads will have my name and Y8 logo. There just isn't room for the entire logo on the head. In fact I don't think there is even room for their logo. It will probably end up on the deck in the reliefs under the intake ports.

Kid, do you work for McComis?

By kidcourier - 15 Years Ago
John,   No I'm behind him, I'm a supervisor at Skyline Homes,we build manufactured housing. I usually walk the side fence and look in at the body shop to see what's up and check out their prerunners and offroad trucks,plus there's another guy "2" shops down who dabbles with old cars and behind us is a auto restoration shop so there's always something to see! Vic  or his daughters sometimes bring out specialty vehicles and run up and down the street or at the foundry parking lot or film TV specials like for HorsePowerTV on Saturday Power Block segments.They built the 2nd building about 3 yrs. ago(think they said it was about 150,000 sq.ft.)but never been up to full production due to the economy.Can't wait to see a set of finished heads and dyno results.Going to be building a stroker Y block for the Courier so I'm interested in your alum. heads/new alum. manifold(bought the BT alum. manifold from you in '07) need more "umph"! OOps,starten to ramble on-- are you going to be open the week after Christmas(would like to get a trans adapter to install my T-5 this winter)? KID
By 2DRHRDTP57 - 15 Years Ago
This is great news, Now John, about the alloy block your going to do after the heads.....BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin
KID, It seems like I'm always here. We will be open the week after Christmas.

Guys, don't count on any aluminum blocks from me. After the ordeal of making heads, nobody could talk me into that!

There are plenty of other projects I have in mind when time allows. We'll see how that goes.

Maybe old Vic will see these and change his mind about Y Blocks, seems like it would be pretty easy for them to pull out the old molds for the 573 intakes and cast up a few or even develope a few new products. This would help the guys that want them by not having to pay those outlandish ebay prices.
By PF Arcand - 15 Years Ago
Glen: You referred to "old" Vic (Edelbrock) which is a bit misleading, as Vic (Sr.) passed away several years ago. It's his Son running the company now. What is a bit surprising is that John Mummert was able to negotiate casting work from them, as Vic (Jr.) has made it clear in the past that he thought the Y-Block to be an "awful" engine.. Business must be slow...
By MoonShadow - 15 Years Ago
Maybe he talked to one of the daughters? Chuck
New intakes for the Y-Block run $370-420.00. I don't see old 3-2 and 2-4 intakes selling for that much on ebay. That might slow someone from making new ones. Its hard to know if Edelbrock still has the old patterns or what condition they are in. Their new foundry is so automated that their old 50's patterns wouldn't work easily.

My Dentist is a car guy and has a book on Edelbrock in the waiting room. I read a story Vic JR related about Vic Sr's 55 T-Bird (342 stroker). They raced nearly every weekend against a certain scrubvette, one would win one week the other the next,ect. Vic JR pleaded for a chance to drive the T-Bird, confident that he could win. He was beaten badly and wasn't allowed to race the car again. Is this when he decided that Y-Blocks weren't any good? I don't know.

By Philo - 15 Years Ago
I like the shape of those chambers! Like a ECZ-C, but with even more swirl.............64-65 cc sounds good too. NICE WORK, Mr. Mummert!
Yea I know that Sr  passed, but Jr ain't no spring chicken , so he is old Vic now.
PF Arcand (12/22/2009)
Glen: You referred to "old" Vic (Edelbrock) which is a bit misleading, as Vic (Sr.) passed away several years ago. It's his Son running the company now. What is a bit surprising is that John Mummert was able to negotiate casting work from them, as Vic (Jr.) has made it clear in the past that he thought the Y-Block to be an "awful" engine.. Business must be slow...

Actually, that's the exact reason they are willing to do the heads. They have no interest in doing Y-Block stuff. They will only take in outside work that doesn't conflict with what they do.

By Ol'ford nut - 14 Years Ago
John- Any new update? I'm still waiting for your heads instead of buying some 113s and updating them.
By John Mummert - 14 Years Ago
We got 2 excellent looking castings from Edelbrock last Monday. Working hard to finalize machining program. Testing program on one of the junk castings from old foundry.

Hope to get this out of the way this weekend and machine the 2 new castings. One will get cut up to check for any problems. If okay, we will give Edelbrock the go ahead. If there are problems we will need to round up the offending core box or match plate and make corrections. This will likely add a few weeks. Things are looking up.

I'm a little surprised to see they will remake 3-2 intake for the Y-Block. They never mentioned that, although they did tell me about the 94 carbs. I suggested they make some "dummy" carbs with no internals since a lot of people only run on the center carb.

By unibodyboy - 14 Years Ago
John,

Good work on the heads, I'm sure your patience will pay off.
By Ted - 14 Years Ago
John.  Thanks for the update.  I’d not be surprised if your aluminum cylinder head project has prompted the reintroduction of the 3X2 intake.  The timeline sure fits.
By Hoosier Hurricane - 14 Years Ago
Let's hope that Edelbrock doesn't decide that aluminum heads and tripower for Ys would be profitable, therefore decline to cast heads for John, or worse yet, copy his patterns before they give them back to him.  Know any good lawyers, John, just in case.
By aussiebill - 14 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (2/5/2010)
Let's hope that Edelbrock doesn't decide that aluminum heads and tripower for Ys would be profitable, therefore decline to cast heads for John, or worse yet, copy his patterns before they give them back to him.  Know any good lawyers, John, just in case.

John, that exact same thought has crossed my mind also probably along with jonn m, lets hope all goes smoothly, cant wait!!!!

We have machined one of the heads while refining the program. No water was found, which is encouraging. I plan to cut this head up Tuesday or Wednesday to look closer. At this point final valve sizes are 1.94" intake and 1.54" exhaust. I do not expect this to change.

Unported air flow is 235 intake and 180 exhaust. We have done some porting on this head before cutting it up. Lower port tunes up to 250CFM. Exhaust port is up to 200CFM with 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" stepped 90 degree stub. The exhaust flow is very good and should help performance throughout the RPM range.

It looks like the head will be capable of 260CFM intake and 210 exhaust. This is what we expected and probably close to the limits of the original design. This should make a 500HP N/A Y-Block a reality.

More info to come.

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
John.   Thanks for the update.  The castings sound like you definitely have something good to work with.  With the Y being allowed to run alongside the roller hydraulic entries this year at the EMC competition, a Mummert headed Y would definitely be able to grab some media attention.
By mctim64 - 14 Years Ago
Ted (2/16/2010)
John.     With the Y being allowed to run alongside the roller hydraulic entries this year at the EMC competition, a Mummert headed Y would definitely be able to grab some media attention.

This would be interesting to see! Wink

By charliemccraney - 14 Years Ago
And, they should make it more competitive this year.
By speedpro56 - 14 Years Ago
Sounds like the winds are in our favorBigGrin.
By Don Woodruff - 14 Years Ago
Thanks for the update John, looks very promiseing. Looks as if my engine simulation using Engine Analyser Pro and the AFR 165 sbf heads may be realistic. These simulations using a 214 in-224ex on 112 lobe center cam with about .525 lift produced in excess of 350 hp with a very mild engine.

Really looking forward for delivery of my new heads with a few clean up pointers as I know you will be busy delivering heads for a while.

By bird55 - 14 Years Ago
Thanks for the update, John. It sounds like great progress. I know you have too much to do, but It would be interesting to me to see the cutaways, if you get a chance.

I may never own a set of these, but I'm an avid supporter of your work and the promotion of the Y. Good on you for staying after it. Smile
By Barry L - 14 Years Ago
 New head pic.....I'm posting this pic with John's permission. I visited with him and got to watch (get in his way for a few hours) while he machined for seats and guides. Also note the casting numbers, with a bit 'o paint you could fool the puriests! Thanks John ,for all your work on the Y  and for letting me hang around your place.   Barry L in M 
It's all the little details. These heads and a Blue Thunder intake, both painted will make for a fine sleeper.
By Philo - 14 Years Ago
What are the valve lengths for this new head? I think it would be a good idea to use the sbscrubby stock length for availabilty and economy if possible? Has this be considered?
By Ted - 14 Years Ago
Scrub valves are actually shorter than the Y valves.  In todays market, custom valves are very inexpensive when bought in quantity.  Likewise, there are a multitude of other valves already being used in other applications that may or may not fit the bill.  In the case of a new head design, it’s best to build or use a valve that’s best suited to the head and not the other way around.  I have complete confidence in John using the best valve for the application and not just making something fit.
By aussiebill - 14 Years Ago
Ted, couldnt agree more! i,m sure john has it all planed out, lets just let him do it!, i,m still sitting by post box waiting for my set! Tongue
Sometimes I think that I'm designing this head, sometimes it seems to have a mind of its own. Machined head has been cut up and no real problems encountered. I am driving up to Edelbrock tomorrow to check on a few things. Will make a few minor adjustments. They have enough cores to make 8 heads. After these 8 are cast we will retrieve core boxes to make permanent changes. At that point we will start taking deposits. First come, first served. The more valves, seats, guides, retainers, springs we buy, the better price we can get. This will help final cost.

At this point it has become necessary to make new rocker stands that will be included with the heads. This must be done to allow the use of existing valve covers. Just couldn't figure out any other way to relocate the valves, straighten the ports, and make existing valve covers fit along with 1.6:1 rockers. Having the valve covers held down by rocker studs really limits what can be changed. The new stands will have the bolt holes moved to 1.5" apart instead of 1.2" as stock. This will open the possibility for higher ratio rockers in the future. Pushrods will likely be the later 8.30" length.
SOME MORE SPECS:

The valve sizes are:  1.94" intake, 1.54" exhaust. Stainless steel with chrome stems, hardened tip.

Valve length: 5.110-5.130"

Spring pressures are 110# seat,  280 @ .500" lift.

With +.050" keepers the spring pressure is 85# seat.

Single spring with damper. 1.250" diameter. Installed height; 1.750" with standard height keepers and retainers.

Steel spring cup. Steel 1 piece retainer. Hardened keepers.

Bare machined cast weight is 24.5 pounds.

Combustion chamber 60cc + -

We should receive 6 more castings March 19th.

Machine program is 99%. Just looking at various drill bits and cutters to speed up the job or leave the best finish.

By Glen Henderson - 14 Years Ago
Mar 19, that is a good day! My birthday and wedding anniversary! Looking forward to some dyno numbers on the heads comparied to the best cast heads. Thank you for all your hard work and best of luck with the finished product. Got my copy of the EMC Mag today and can only imagine what Ted's engine would have done with a set of these heads.
Here are some pics of the progress on machining the new Ford Y-Block aluminum heads.          Smile

By BFOOTER03 - 14 Years Ago
Its a thing of beauty John.  I'm sure you are getting very excited as we get closer to completion.  Your hard work is appreciated! 
By bird55 - 14 Years Ago
Cool, cool, cool. thanks again, John.
By ScottY - 14 Years Ago
"Ohh that's Beautiful Man!!!"

Yessiree John, a site indeed, i'm sure i speak for all of us in saying, "Thank You Sir, soooo much!" Can only imagine the headache/heartache, you've been through, though i do have a coupla buddies down here who put themselves through the same 'torture', so really i do know a lil of how you feel, and have felt, through all of this. But rest assured you have beaten 'Goliath' Mate, to death! (lol) Well Done!! 

Not to forget you Ted, for your time in helping keep all of us nosey blokes up to date and a lil better informed and understanding of all that is involved, Thank You too!

Let the Fun Begin!!!!!!!!!!!

By rgrove - 14 Years Ago
COME ON LOTTERY WINNINGS!!!   Oh wait...i never play the lottery.  Maybe its time to start!

Absolutely gorgeous!

By Ivan M. Thoen - 14 Years Ago
I spoke with Jeff at Mr. Mummert's shop today. He says a set of heads are on the way to Ted Eaton's dyno for the first run. Wow. It is really happening!
Sweet!!!
These 2 heads are on a big Brown truck headed for Lorena Texas

By Don Woodruff - 14 Years Ago
Good news I assume these may go on the engine masters engine or possibly a more conventional build.
Last night I dreamed of turbos. Tonight it'll probably be aluminum heads.
By Fordy Guy - 14 Years Ago
Holy Moly, I can even feel the ground beginning to tremble now,but I cant' tell if it's the awesome power of the NEW Y-Block parts, or the scrub lovers starting to tremble in their boots!!!!!  CONGRATULATIONS JOHN and Big Thanks for making a dream come true!
By Grizzly - 14 Years Ago
Great to see photo's of the new heads.  Similar combustion chamber shape to other aftermarket heads I've seen for other american iron. Better combustion chamber size, decent dia valves, plenty of "meat'"to shave and up the compression, improved ports with better flow and all within the confines of using as many existing parts as possible. Seems to answer just about all anyone would want or expect. Good work John.

The photo's (that I've seen) only show three sides of the heads! Some of the intake side would be great?

On Dyno testing this is obviously a testing ground where they can show thier worth. I for one would be interesed in seeing a milder street engine tested as well as a hotter race engine. Obviously not every application can be tested but this would give a reasonable range for customers who would be interested.

Also on reliability is a set of heads going to be tested on something that is regularly driven. Obviouly racing shows how they will perform (last) in the high temp high pressure environment that racing is, but daily driving has it's own set of extremes. Multipule warm up and cool down cycles, traffic, lugging loads I can see that these heads could be used in many applications, as many as there are Y block interest groups and be used in T birds, F100, trucks, a range of passenger cars from rods to full size cars. I'm wondering how reliability will be tested?   

By shadowman - 14 Years Ago
With 5/8" thick deck and 356-T6 material these heads should be more rigid than the OEM iron units. Somehow Ford managed to build 50lb cylinder heads and not put any material in the deckCrazy.  The 5/8" deck also helps prevent thermal loss that an aluminum head would have if it were cast with the same thickness as a stocker.
By morgus - 13 Years Ago
so here is what we have....the guys in the t-bird clubs don't want anything to do with 'not original' stuff.....that 'takes out' a bunch of sales.....the old guys with y-blocks don't seem to have $2000+ laying around for these heads either.......who does this leave??? rich guys with 55 fords? not too many of them around, i'll bet...and another thing...i was in the local 'classic car ' club in toledo,ohio for the last 3 years...i do add-on air cond. for older cars--(i'm a ex-mechanic) and had two complete vintage air 'kits' in garage loft--tried to sell them (half price) to anyone in the club (not just y-block people---any people (sbc,too-(chokeing sound here)--guess what--nobody wanted anything to do with adding a/c to their cars--they all 'liked them just as they were when new....and were not intrested...(and it can get pretty hot in toledo sometimes in the summer)....so who is left?? i can't see a whole bunch of drag racers popping out of the bushes...(am i wrong??) this was a great idea in 1995--maybe with the country in a kind of 'no money-out of work' thing going on now...this is hurting sales.....yes? no? somebody out there (john mummert?)...text me back and straighten me out on this......later ed
By unibodyboy - 13 Years Ago
In essence, aluminum heads for the Y block are a luxury good. Theoretically, as the economic cycle turns downward, the demand for luxury goods (aluminum heads in the case) is reduced more than the demand for other more "normal" goods. However, this is cyclical in nature, and the world keeps on spinning.

Although I would imagine John's heads aren't selling AS well as could have been expected, I would imagine that the individuals interested in the heads to begin with are still for the most part purchasing.

Additionally, although you haven't seen that much increase in demand for aftermarket Y blocks parts in your neck of the woods, you can see it all over the country. Increase in selling prices for core pieces as well as decorative items (see the edelbrock valve covers as of late) are incredible. The Y block is slowly becoming one of the hotter (no hp pun intended) motors for hot rods in front of our collective eyes.
By Grizzly - 13 Years Ago
I see it completely differently. Unless you are doing a standard rebuild the alloy heads make sense. If you were to go with cast iron heads. Firstly you need to buy a set of G or 113 heads unless you are luck enough to already have a set. If you are unlucky you could end up buying more than one set to get a good complete set.(cracks, corrosion etc) I don't know what you are paying for a rebuild but a mate of mine was quoted $1000 for a unleaded upgrade (Head work only). So for new valves, porting, seats, machining, considerably more.

Personally I've paid $1800 for porting and head work on a two cylinder two valves per cylinder motorcycle heads.

A couple grand for a set of heads that work better than the "G" option out of the box, is a better sounding alternative.

The heads have proven themselves on the dyno. That's clear. I'd like to hear from someone who has them on a "driver" and can give some info on what they are like to drive. The other main concern is reliability   

By speedpro56 - 13 Years Ago
I see the same thing Greg, these cars and trucks are so beautiful I just see them taking it as far as they can in beauty and power for the Y-blocks. Just look at what their doing to the over the pond cars ( thousands and thousands of dollars??? ) should we with a much much nicer looking cars and trucks ( y-block equipped ) do any less............. I see a lot of pride continueing to be put into these beauties at the car shows etc. I believe there's still a market for parts for these cars including after market parts for power, just check epay and see what parts are going for....... pretty scary!!!!
By aussiebill - 13 Years Ago
unibodyboy (2/16/2011)
In essence, aluminum heads for the Y block are a luxury good. Theoretically, as the economic cycle turns downward, the demand for luxury goods (aluminum heads in the case) is reduced more than the demand for other more "normal" goods. However, this is cyclical in nature, and the world keeps on spinning.

Although I would imagine John's heads aren't selling AS well as could have been expected, I would imagine that the individuals interested in the heads to begin with are still for the most part purchasing.

Additionally, although you haven't seen that much increase in demand for aftermarket Y blocks parts in your neck of the woods, you can see it all over the country. Increase in selling prices for core pieces as well as decorative items (see the edelbrock valve covers as of late) are incredible. The Y block is slowly becoming one of the hotter (no hp pun intended) motors for hot rods in front of our collective eyes.

Hi Greg, I'd think the aluminum heads are the best performance item available since sliced bread and equal amounts of money could easily be spent chasing performance in other areas, carbs, ex, cams etc and really aren't just a luxury item, personally I think there is a strong demand for the heads and more a supply problem than anything that more haven't got on engines yet to voice the results. maybe I'm wrong but that's my view. SmileSmile
By John Mummert - 13 Years Ago
Bill has it pretty close to correct. Honestly the demand has been about double what I expected for an initial run and we are getting calls on a regular basis from people not on the waiting list. Frankly, its a little overwhelming.

We will receive another 60 castings next Monday and they are spoken for.

Don't try to use logic to understand the economy. When faced with spending money on what they need or what they want, people will chose what they want ever time.

Don't forget, if you are employed during a recession, its just a buying opportunity. Its only if you are unemployed that it becomes a disaster.

Look at the stock market going up when the economy appears weak. Hard to explain.

By MS 57 Blackbird - 13 Years Ago
Seems to me that John's heads are priced reasonably when you consider what it has taken for him to get them in production.  If I am remembering correctly a street port job on a good set of 113's by John cost around $1250 when I sent my heads to him a couple of years ago.  If I needed another set of heads now I would definitely consider a set of the aluminum heads. 
By charliemccraney - 13 Years Ago
morgus (2/16/2011)
who does this leave??? rich guys with 55 fords? not too many of them around, i'll bet...

There are also some young single guys with no wives or kids to take all of the cash. Wink

The aluminum heads really are a no brainer if doing a performance build.  You can easily have just as much in a set of iron heads for the same performance.  For that reason, I agree that I see no reason that a T-bird guy wanting to maintain the stock configuration would shell out the dough.  2 g's makes no sense when he can rework his current heads to achieve his goal for much less.

These heads really are for the guy who's going to take it above stock performance levels and when you compare them to other low demand engines, they really aren't that expensive.

By speedpro56 - 13 Years Ago
The aluminum heads worked great on my street tbird from a smooth takeoff from a traffic light to an amazing amount of power when passing another vehicle in a normal????? sort a way Ha! Ha! As I was saying earlier as John just put it there's more than enough buyers that's willing to put more real useable power in these cars with these aluminum heads with just a little more money as to trying to do the same thing Iron heads. If you want to paint these heads ford red they will look original to the classic tbird or classic car, and you will have to look very close to try and distinguish the difference because there THAT good. Way to go John!!!! and I'm waiting for my other set. So too answer your question Grizzly they worked excellent on the street with no problems..
By Grizzly - 13 Years Ago
Thanks Gary,

If John has done his work right with these heads, and I'm sure he has, they will sell themselves.

cheers Warren Adams

By Ted - 13 Years Ago
morgus (2/16/2011)
so here is what we have....the guys in the t-bird clubs don't want anything to do with 'not original' stuff.....that 'takes out' a bunch of sales.....the old guys with y-blocks don't seem to have $2000+ laying around for these heads either.......who does this leave??? rich guys with 55 fords? not too many of them around, i'll bet..... ......so who is left?? i can't see a whole bunch of drag racers popping out of the bushes...(am i wrong??) this was a great idea in 1995--maybe with the country in a kind of 'no money-out of work' thing going on now...this is hurting sales.....yes? no? somebody out there (john mummert?)...text me back and straighten me out on this......later ed

From my perspective, the Thunderbird show crowd segment of the market is a relatively small percentage of those looking for Y-Block parts that will actually upgrade a Y engine.  That is their prerogative and I’m fine with the reasoning behind it.  On the flip side, there’s a much larger number of early Thunderbird owners who drive their cars and this group definitely wants to keep a Y under the hood if it will make some power numbers that are in line with a SBF or other engine swap.  To this end, the aluminum heads have got some TBird engine swaps putting Y’s back under the hoods simply for the nostalgia of having the original engine back in the car.  And for those who try to maintain some resemblance of originality, they are painting both the aluminum heads and aluminum intakes.  And let’s not overlook the F100 crowd.  That is the sleeper group for buying up Y parts as those pickups are out there in abundance and still priced where you can actually buy one. This is where I see many of the aluminum heads ultimately ending up.  It’s the F100 show group that’s going so far as to chrome the heads just for that additional amount of ‘one up ya’ which makes aluminum heads a natural for that group.

Requests for the aluminum heads on my end as an engine builder is strong.  Those requests are easily outweighing the production capability at this point in time so there’s obviously a waiting period for the heads right now.  The aluminum heads are no different than those for other engines in that if they are available, there will be a market for them.  There’s even an aluminum head available for the Ford 200 six now and that didn’t happen because there was no market for them.  What I see on the Y aluminum heads is once the intial demand is filled for engines that are currently being built with these heads in mind, there will be head sales to those wanting the make sure they have a set on the shelf for a future project.  It will be these heads that will be showing up for sale long after the heads are no longer being produced.  This is exactly what’s been occurring with the highly touted Ardun heads for the flathead Ford V8.

The aluminum heads have definitely raised the performance bar to the next level.  Although stout performance could be obtained on the oem heads with the addition of power adders, the horsepower potential with the normally aspirated engines with iron heads had pretty much peaked and leveled off.  The aluminum heads have changed all that by leaps and bounds.

By miker - 13 Years Ago
Ted, I 'm not sure how many of the 'bird guy drive the car, but I'm one of them. I've been on the wait list for a a couple months now, and hopefully I'm in line for a set of the now available castings when John gets them out. I really appreciate all the work you've done, especially showing the bird headers, as that's tough info for the rest of us to come by. The heads are going on with new headers and a larger exhaust and probably a throttle body injection in place of the carb and the blower. The car will go on a chassis dyno during that, and hopefully I'll have some closed up numbers to offer. That will give me a printout of the torque, hp and fuel curves. I think we're also going to be able to set the ign. advance through the computer. Not as good without a baseline, but might tell you a little more that it will the rest of us.
By Joe-JDC - 12 Years Ago
New member, but been visiting the site for several years.  New question about heads being available.  Are there new heads being poured, and when will they be ready?  Is there an intake manifold available?  Do you have plans on a Victor style intake manifold or an 8V intake?  6V?  I have been impressed with the new aluminum heads and intakes, and would like to purchase a set for myself.  Thanks.
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
The new heads have been available for a year or so. There is a waiting list so you need to contact John Mummert at www.ford-y-blocks.com He is the one having them done. He also has single 4 manifolds, the earlier Blue Thunder and an improved of his own. John's intake does not have the heat passage under the carb. He is definately the "go to" guy for these parts. The heads show a 50hp gain on the dyno out of the box! So if its horsepower you want it seems to be the way to go. Have you seen the 500hp article on these forums? Ted Eaton seems to have found the right combination for a streetable 500hp Y-Block! Chuck

Almost forgot, where are you located? It helps to put city/state in your tag line.

By John Mummert - 12 Years Ago
Welcome Joe! While I do have head castings I have not been able to catch up with demand. Of course there are also other castings to machine.

Just finished a batch of valley covers, will start machining some aluminum timing covers tomorrow. Intake manifold castings should be here in about 3 weeks.

At the present time there are only dual plane single 4bbl intakes available for the Y-Block. There is a Minnesota effort to make a single plane but are those very difficult to make work on a Y-Block. Edelbrock's plans of redoing their 3-2 intake seem to be off again.

I have made some efforts on an unusual 2-4 intake but that is a future project.

Jump in and have some fun
By Nighthawk756 - 12 Years Ago
John Mummert (8/15/2012)
Intake manifold castings should be here in about 3 weeks.

Woohoo! I'm on the list for one, can't wait!! BigGrin
By Allezw - 12 Years Ago
Hi! A friend of mine sent this link along. I got into the Y Blocks with my '56 half-ton and its 272.

I read the bit about valve train oiling and the lack of a good solution for using stud mounted rockers.

Remember those old oilers that tapped into the oil pressure port and ran a copper tube up to a hollow rocker cover hold down that provided an alternate path for lube oil to the rocker shaft when a cam bearing moved or just crud from infrequent oil changes blocked the top end oiling.

My solution was a bit different. Back in '58, I built a manifold that fitted inside the rocker covers and used the original oil supply drilling in each head with the tubing fitted so that it was pressed into the now available feed port when you installed the covers, fitting like the 223 Fords. I used Chevy rockers and special push rods. The studs were mounted to a Blanchard ground plate that bolted to the original rocker pads and under longer head bolts. The 1/4" steel tubing for the distribution manifold was brazed to the rocker cover and had holes drilled to spray oil onto the rocker's pushrod end after I drilled a hole directly above the pushrod seat on the rocker. That made certain the pushrod end and socket had lube.

It worked, though it was funny to read about the then Sacramento based [font=Times New Roman][size=4][/size][/font]Capital Speed Shop's Chevy small block that ran an experimental shaft rocker system. It was called the Glass Slipper and had a fully enclosed cockpit. Jet black and gorgeous.

Seems hot rodders can't leave anything alone, unable to leave anything the way it was.
Thanks for the welcome, John.  Nice heads and intakes.  I am very familiar with  most ford products since I built my first 292 back in 1962, a '56 Fairlane Victoria 2 dr hardtop, blue and white, padded dash/visors, automatic, and it was the car I dated my wife of 46 years in.  Wish I had it back!  I am retired USAF, aircraft crew chief on fighters, and master instructor on aircraft maintenance.  After retiring, I went back to college and got another degree in Automotive Technology, and specialized in Ford engines, C-4/6 transmissions, and suspension/driveline.  That was so I could race my own '69 Mach I, and do the maintenance and engines/trans/differentials myself.  I started porting my own heads and intakes back in 1972, and worked with several major shops over the years porting for them.  I have my own SF-600, and porting booth, since 1994, and I am now retired.  Just help some old customers as needed, and time allows.  I am pleased with how your heads have performed for folks, and I hope to acquire a set soon.  Joe-JDC.
By PF Arcand - 12 Years Ago
Joe: If you don't mind me asking are you the Head Porter mentioned in Y-Block Magazine a few issues back?. If I recall you volunteered to do a set experimentally for a subscriber, based on a discussion on the F.E. block forum? He was pleased with the results as I recall..
Guilty.  Been using JDC on my porting for 40 years.   Joe-JDC.
By bird55 - 12 Years Ago
Welcome aboard Joe, update your profile if you don't mind or at least tell us where you are located. Thanks
By 1955mainline - 12 Years Ago
has anyone talked to john lately? i have been on the list since july for heads and a intake, just didnt want to bother him with a annoying call about when to expect them

thanks guys

john

By 5d6fairlane - 12 Years Ago
Ordered some parts this week and  was told some time in Janurary.
By 1955mainline - 12 Years Ago
thanks hope to have it all done for spring.......
Regarding the heads: it has become obvious that while we can produce the heads with the equipment we have here we cannot produce them efficiently. I have been talking to Edelbrock for over a year about having them machine the heads. It seemed that we would be able to do them quick enough to keep up but I have finally realized we can't.

So... The heads will be machined by Edelbrock for the foreseeable future. We have the castings, they need to make fixtures and write machining program. Hopefully this change will make the heads readily available in the near future.

Regarding intake manifolds, the changeover to the Edelbrock foundry is complete. Castings were made late last week. Will pick them up Wednesday or early next week. This is a large run of manifolds and should end the wait for quite a while.

Thanks to all for your patience
By MarkMontereyBay - 12 Years Ago
Hi John,

I applaud your patience in this project. Will the new intake be available for us Tbird owners along with the taller version?
Mark, we will be doing high rise and low rise versions.

We have had 24 samples so the fixture and program is all worked out.

Happy Thanksgiving all !
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
John,

I sent a message a while back wanting to order an intake among other things. Did you get it? Chuck

By 1955mainline - 11 Years Ago
is there any new updates on an expected delivery time frame? been waiting since july and am getting a little worried about not getting the car back together for spring. if its gonna be into summer i found a good deal on a 292 with 113's on it i could use to get it back togeter till then but dont want to jump the gun on it to soon and have to tear into it right after getting it done. thanks john
By John Mummert - 11 Years Ago
Talked to an engineer @ Edelbrock on Monday. They apparently have fixtures made and are working on final blue prints from the drawings we sent then.Not having much luck pinning them down to to any specific dates on when they will be ready to start machining.
Can only hope its soon.
hey any progress is good progress, thats great to hear. i hope its soon too, cant wait to hear this thing finally run....thanks john
I got farther up the food chain in a call today, sounds like things are moving along.He seemed to think they might be ready in 2 weeks, I'll figure that to end up being 3.
They have a full plate due to opening a machine facility back east. The two head guys of the machine department have been gone much of this year.
Edelbrock carburetors have been made by Magneti Marelli and Edelbrock is taking over the manufacture so they're busy getting that set up.
john, any update on the heads????????????????
so the long wait is over....I came home today and had 3 boxes sitting in front of my garage door, like a kid on x-mas morning I ran over and opened them all up, and there they were my heads and mummert script valve covers....... wow these things were worth the wait. this weekend cant come quick enough to get these on. thanks john for the awesome quality parts......just like all the other parts I have gotten from you.

john
John, we're trying to get caught up but it is going to take a while. We are so far behind. Glad to hear they were worth the wait. My fantasy is to someday have heads ready to go and can send them out the same day.
I can dream, can't I ???
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/20d1ed55-a75e-4785-9584-af48.JPG

well here is the trial fit off all the parts, all fits like a glove. so here's the run down of the build

c1ae block .030 over, zero decked

312 crank

mummert rods, flat top pistons, alt bracket, valley pan, timing cover, heads, valve covers, intake, balancer

msd dizzy, reds headers
By LordMrFord - 11 Years Ago
1955mainline (8/3/2013)
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/20d1ed55-a75e-4785-9584-af48.JPG

That is just absolutely beautiful.
By MarkMontereyBay - 11 Years Ago
John, are those cast Mummert valve covers available?
By 19fiftythree - 11 Years Ago
How long did it take to get those heads. I have a friend who's been waiting since last October.
By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago
John, are those cast Mummert valve covers available?                           

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

Mark, the Mummert covers are available. I spoke to John yesterday and ordered a set.
I have some of the valve covers. We're trying to figure out a more efficient way to sand the top of the fins and logo to highlight them. Too many other things to do. Trying to find time but its no where to be found.
19fiftythree (8/6/2013)
How long did it take to get those heads. I have a friend who's been waiting since last October.
Have your friend contact me. We are supposed to be getting more heads in the next week or so. If you are on the wait list speak up now.
By NoShortcuts - 11 Years Ago
John, the time stamp of 2:37 A.M. on your reply to 19fiftythree leads me to suspect that you were out on the town last night OR working too late at the shop.

Take care of yourself, John. You're a definitive asset to our hobby. You're making it funner!

Regards,
Don't believe everything you see. That post was about 6:30PM here. Yes, still at work then but not at 2:30AM
By Ol Ford Guy - 11 Years Ago
John,

Is there a wait list for intake manifiolds?
Just started machining a pallet load (36) of intake manifolds this morning.Have to do 1st operation on all before I can switch over to the 2nd fixture and finish them. It will probably be the end of next week before any are ready to ship.