Profile Picture

Rocker arm geometry

Posted By Ted 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 11 hours ago
charliemccraney (5/28/2009)
Ted,  From your article, it sounds like the first thing I need to do is observe how the roller is traveling across the valve tip. That will tell me if I have to shim or trim the pedestals. When you are setting the geometry, how much do you change the height at one time?

Charlie.  I’m taking this opportunity to start a new post with your question.

Although I have a dial indicator setup that tells me exactly how much the geometry is off by measuring the rocker tip location both at zero and full lift, changing the rocker stand height in 0.025-0.030” increments will allow you to sneak up on the ideal position.  When doing the initial setup, using washers of equal thicknesses or valve spring shims work well for raising the height.  By working with only two of the stands while doing this also simplies the process.  If you’re needing to lower the shaft, then having a pair of stands that are cut 0.150” shorter than stock and then raising these in set increments will allow you to determine what the final height of the stands needs to be.

charliemccraney (5/28/2009)
Now that I'm focused on the geometry, I took a closer look at the pattern on the stems. It is slightly off center - the pattern is shifted towards the exhaust side of the heads. Does this tell me anything regarding the geometry?
Due to manufacturing variances and/or any guide work that’s been performed since the heads were new, the rocker tip can be potentially sitting anywhere on top of the valve stem.  But if the rocker tip is sitting outboard of the valve stem center at zero lift, then initial indications would be that the shaft is sitting too high.  In an ideal world, the rocker tip should be sitting slightly inboard of the valve stem center (towards the intake) when the rocker is at zero lift and where ideal valve train geometry is present.  In a less than perfect world, aim for the smallest contact patch on the valve tip between zero and full lift regardless of where the valve tip resides (within reason of course).

Another tip is to run a straight edge across the valve stem tips with the rocker assembly removed to insure that all the valve stem tips are indeed at the same height.  If you find that these are at varying heights, then it’s going to be difficult to accurately set up the valve train geometry.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Rocker arm geometry By Ted ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post I finally got to checking the stand height this weekend. It looks... By charliemccraney ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie . Sounds like you’ve found the ideal rocker stand... By Ted ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thanks, Ted.

I was just thinking, I was running out of...
By charliemccraney ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie . The pushrod being too short will affect the rocker... By Ted ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post One more thing came to mind. When shimming or trimming the stands,... By charliemccraney ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Pushrod clearance at the rocker typically isn’t a problem but... By Ted ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Oh, sorry, I meant pushrod to head clearance. By charliemccraney ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post I checked again with the adjustable pushrod and it seemed to like... By charliemccraney ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]charliemccraney (6/22/2009)[/b][hr]I checked again with the... By Ted ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]Ted (6/23/2009)[/b][hr]Charlie, Non-stock valves?[/quote]... By charliemccraney ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post All this talk about raising rocker shafts makes me wonder, is there a... By pegleg ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]pegleg (6/23/2009)[/b][hr]Ted, how come so much lift?... By Ted ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Frank: John already has taller stands available. One side is stock... By Hoosier Hurricane ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Another chink in the armor of "Common Knowledge"! John runs a lot of... By pegleg ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post If higher stands were readily available that I could mill to the... By charliemccraney ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Ted, your experience confirms what I have been wondering about for... By Don Woodruff ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hopefully related, & relevent; does anyone know the thickness of the... By 63 Red Stake Bed ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post .038" By Hoosier Hurricane ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post And I found some that are as thick as 0.044”. Thickness likely... By Ted ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Were not the Lincoln stands a little taller than the Fords of that era... By speedpro56 ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Interesting. I only measured one drip tray (came up .040"). Never... By DANIEL TINDER ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Probably depended on how "tight" the stamping press was set up. When... By Hoosier Hurricane ( 15 Years Ago )
Forum Post Since switching to the Harland Sharpe rockers, I have not yet checked... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie. If you are zero lashing the pushrod, then the target lift... By Ted ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I'm adjusting the pushrod for the same .015" lash that I run everyday,... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie. Your methodology sounds good. Your 0.457” target for valve... By Ted ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I checked the lobe lift when I was having the pushrod trouble years... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie. I’ll suggest simply shimming the stands up some more. I... By Ted ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post More results, getting better, but still weird, I think. Shim, lift... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I tried again tonight. For some reason, I got results that seem to... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie. Your second set of dial indicator numbers looks reasonable.... By Ted ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I double checked last night before putting the driver side back... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I checked the passenger's side and am confused again. On the... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie. I have to think that your dial indicator setup isn’t... By Ted ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post You said one time, if you're going to err, err on being up to .050"... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I got it done. Since I had the carb loose, I also increased the... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Sounds good Charlie. Is the truck fixed to make the trip to Columbus?... By pintoplumber ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Explain how to test the travel across the valve. Blue the rocker? By pegleg ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I still have to replace the king pins. Other than that, it's looking... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post After driving it a couple days this week, it does seem like it might... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie, I really appreciate the detailed info. Very nice work.... By miker ( 9 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter