Profile Picture

master cylinder

Posted By 2X57SEDAN 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 14 Years Ago
i hope one of you knowledgable people on here can help me

i either read somwhere or heard  that a person can use a master cylinder from i think it was an mid 80's explorer on a 57 failane/sedan body  i think is supposed to be a direct bolt on  and its made from aluminum and the lines are toward the outside of the engine compartment 

does anyone know if this is right? or am i again mistaken  i might have read about this in an article in a magazine

57 sedan

60 thunderbird

69 mustang coupe

69 roadrunner

2X57SEDAN
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)

at the moment it has drums but that doesnt matter because the frame isnt under it

but  if a person would use a disc master on a car with only drums wouldnt the larger master cylinder bore/piston give better pedal feel and maybe just a tad more stopping power?

approximately how much push rod lenth difference is there?  thanks for your help

57 sedan

60 thunderbird

69 mustang coupe

69 roadrunner

charliemccraney
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I think you'll be alright using a disc cylinder with drums. I'm currently using a disc/disc master with a disc/drum setup. I switched from a disc/drum master to the disc/disc master a few years ago and noticed no difference in the stopping ability - everything else being the same at the time. In my research, I've come across nothing that says you cannot use a disc master with drums. I have found several sources which say not to use a drum master with discs.

Lawrenceville, GA
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
It's my thinking that the disc master cylinders have the larger reservoir because as the pads wear, the pistons continue moving out of their bores and that volume has to be replaced by fluid.  The pistons do not retract.  Drum brake pistons retract, so they do not require constant replenishing of fluid.  So if you use a drum master with discs, check your fluid level frequently and top off as required.  The larger reservoir reduces the frequency of fluid checks.  Like Charlie, I see no problem using a disc master on a drum car.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
paul2748
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Unless I am mistaken, all drum/drum masters had a built in residual pressure valve. Masters for disc/drum and disc/disc do not, residual pressure being handled by the separate combo valve. Not being an expert, any problems there???

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Paul:

You're right.  I revise my thinking.  Discs don't need residual valves, drums do.  Thanks for bringing that to light.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Residual valves are available which go inline, if the master cylinder does not have one.

Lawrenceville, GA
MikeLongIsland
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)

When I started my research, I was told 10lb residual valve in the rear for the drums and 2lb in the front for disks, I was told I had to use these because of the frame mounted master and the fact that the bleeders were higher than the master.

I'm on a Lowwwww Budget
simplyconnected
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
2X57SEDAN (5/12/2009)
 ... a person can use a master cylinder from i think it was an mid 80's explorer on a 57 failane/sedan body... 

RAYBESTOS Part # MC18000  {Professional Grade Bore Size=1" Number of Ports=1 Primary Outlet Size=1/2x20; Bolt Holes 2 1/4" Apart} Ford/Lincoln (1952 - 1959)

RAYBESTOS Part # MC39467  {Professional Grade Bore Size=1" Number of Ports=2 Primary Outlet Size=7/16x24 Secondary Outlet Size=1/2x20} GRAN TORINO SPORT (1972 - 1975) Town Car (1981 - 1989)

The major difference is you are going from a single to a dual M/C, so you need to repipe.  Each has a 1" bore and the bolt holes are 2-1/4" apart on both.  You may have to adjust your brake pedal rod slightly, but they appear to be exact bolt-on replacements.  F-150's used a different M/C in the mid '80's.  Here's the best part, the dual M/C costs less than HALF of the original model.

Mike, that's true.  I don't use any valves for my disk brakes, but I do use one 10# for both back drums.  Remember, this is a biggie, the back brakes will no longer self-adjust (if they originally did), and there is no pedal drop when they need adjustment.  Eventually, the shoes might pull the pistons out of their cylinders from being out so far.  The solution is to adjust shoes every six months, whether they need it or not.

-  Dave

Royal Oak, Michigan (Four miles north of Detroit, and 12 miles NORTH of Windsor, Canada).  That's right, we're north of Canada.

Ford 292 Y-Block major overhaul by simplyconnected

paul2748
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
MikeLongIsland (5/16/2009)
When I started my research, I was told 10lb residual valve in the rear for the drums and 2lb in the front for disks, I was told I had to use these because of the frame mounted master and the fact that the bleeders were higher than the master.

That is correct.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter