Profile Picture

Oil pump question

Posted By ford1940deluxe 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 14 Years Ago
These oil pumps belong to 292 Y-block

What is the difference between these oil pumps?
Which one is the best?

Jorge Nuviola from Argentina

www.fordv8argentina.com.ar

www.ratroargentina.com.ar

www.chatarreroratrod.com.ar

mctim64
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
The one on the left is a "spur-gear" type the one on the right is a "gear-rotor" type, wich is thought to be the better of the two.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago

Doing a search using “gerotor, gerorotor, or spur gear oil pump” gives some past threads on the subject.  Here’s a couple of links to past threads.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic12065.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic8082.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

mctim64
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Ted (11/4/2008)

Doing a search using “gerotor, gerorotor, or spur gear oil pump” gives some past threads on the subject.  Here’s a couple of links to past threads.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic12065.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic8082.aspx

Ted, I read the old thread on the gerotor oil-pump. Have you found any companies that are prducing these pumps yet? I have seen the kits, but no complete pumps as of yet.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

mctim64 (11/4/2008)
Ted,  I read the old thread on the gerotor oil-pump. Have you found any companies that are prducing these pumps yet?  I have seen the kits, but no complete pumps as of yet.

Tim.  No companies that I’m aware of is reproducing the gerotor style of oil pump for the Y.  I believe the last company to make a replacement gerorotor pump for the Y was Dynagear.  I’m currently using the Melling gerotor kits to rebuild existing pumps as suitable cores become available.

mr4speedford
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (87 reputation)Supercharged (87 reputation)Supercharged (87 reputation)Supercharged (87 reputation)Supercharged (87 reputation)Supercharged (87 reputation)Supercharged (87 reputation)Supercharged (87 reputation)Supercharged (87 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I have melling oil pump rebuild kit for the stock 1960 pump that I have, Is there any rebuilding tips I should be aware of? I planned to throughly clean it, possibly emory or crocus the bore. Do you pack it with vaseline or just fill with oil (fresh motor)? Thanks for any guidance.

1959 and 1960 f-100sAkron OH
ford1940deluxe
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)

Ted

But back to design differences. The gerotor pump has four lobes on the drive which takes roughly 180° of crankshaft rotation to fill the pumping chamber. The spur-gear pump for the Y has a 14 tooth configuration which effectively has only 51 degrees to accomplish the same thing. Because the gerotor pump has roughly 3½ times the work time to fill its chamber, the oil is allowed to ramp much more smoothly into the pump chamber and likewise shut off much more slowly as the cycle is completed.

ok conlusion: the first bomb in the photo is a Y-bomb or gerorotor stock bomb, these needs 180° of cranckshaft and de second bomb in the photo (aluminium) needs 51° degrees of cranshaft

is correct?

mctim64
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

ford1940deluxe (11/5/2008)
Ted

But back to design differences. The gerotor pump has four lobes on the drive which takes roughly 180° of crankshaft rotation to fill the pumping chamber. The spur-gear pump for the Y has a 14 tooth configuration which effectively has only 51 degrees to accomplish the same thing. Because the gerotor pump has roughly 3½ times the work time to fill its chamber, the oil is allowed to ramp much more smoothly into the pump chamber and likewise shut off much more slowly as the cycle is completed.

ok conlusion: the first bomb in the photo is a Y-bomb or gerorotor stock bomb, these needs 180° of cranckshaft and de second bomb in the photo (aluminium) needs 51° degrees of cranshaft

is correct?

I think you have it backwards, the Aluminum one is the "Gertor" pump (bomb) and the rusty Iron one is the "Spur-gear" pump. The aluminum one is favored.

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

mr4speedford (11/5/2008)
I have a melling oil pump rebuild kit for the stock 1960 pump that I have, Is there any rebuilding tips I should be aware of? I planned to throughly clean it, possibly emory or crocus the bore. Do you pack it with vaseline or just fill with oil (fresh motor)? Thanks for any guidance.

For oil pump priming, I only recommend using engine oil.  Rotor end play should be 0.002"-0.003", inner rotor to outer rotor clearance should be 0.005"-0.010", rotor to housing clearance should be 0.006"-0.012" and torque specs for the cover itself is 95-100 inch pounds.  Be sure the oil pressure relief valve works freely in its bore.

Thanks Tim for clarifying which pump is which.  Another identifier for gerorotor oil pumps is that they will have flat covers.  Once the covers are removed, the differences become obvious.

ford1940deluxe
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks boys!!!!!!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter