Profile Picture

Front End Alignment with Radials

Posted By oldcarmark 3 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Any Front End Alignment Experts out there? I have Radials on my 56. A retired Mechanic was telling me that with Radials front End Alignment Specs should be modified for better handling especially when cornering. Right now mine was aligned to original Specs. Any suggestions on Specs. Especially Camber which would make the most Difference. Thanks

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
On the same subject is there any software that will convert the old alignment specs in inches to the degrees that the machines now use?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
miker
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I was around when radial started taking over the replacement market. But you can qualify this as an “old wives tale”. More caster so the car tracks straight, because they steer easier. I’m not sure that’s really true when you’re parking, but it was on my roadster at low speeds when I went from the bias plies to radial bias “look alike’s”. The softer sidewalls were more forgiving camber change without losing tread life.

The go to guy around here was an old alignment guy who still did a lot of hot rods and motorhomes. He knew what he could do from long experience. Maybe a local shop would be able to refer you. That’s how I found him.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
oldcarmark
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

MoonShadow (7/24/2024)
On the same subject is there any software that will convert the old alignment specs in inches to the degrees that the machines now use?

When I found Specs online the Camber and  Caster were listed in Degrees. The Toe-in is in inches. Does that Info not work with new Alignment Machines?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

What I get around here from the "modern" shops is that they can't align my 56 Victoria because of the changes in the machines to read degrees and they don't have the information in their computers. There may be one shop around that still has an older machine but I have only heard about it. Can you post a link to the data you found?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

mjs
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Is this what you're looking for?  It should be readily available in any system.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/eaf74a22-2367-4e2e-83d5-3543.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
Mine is set to stock specs with 75 series tires and 6” wide rims. There is no abnormal wear or handling. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
For what it is worth, a guy I trust who restores TBirds (same front end as your 56) recommended the following: 

Caster  3/4 to 1 degree positive
Camber  3/4 to 1 degree positive
Toe In   slightly toed in

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MoonShadow
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'll check with my guy. He may not know he has it. Would be great. I've replaced all of the front end bushings and never had an alignment done. Car tracks straight and tire wear is pretty good but a little on the inside edge after many years.

Y's guys rule!

stuey
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hi
I know sweet fa about alignment but I need to learn as I have messed a lot with my truck running gear.
How does checking temperature across the tyres with a reatively cheap infra red thermometer fit into caster/camber and toe in?
stuey

Reading This Topic

Site Meter