Profile Picture

Leaking Torque Converter

Posted By Kingfisher 3 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I have a Merc-o-matic behind a 312 in a 1956 Mercury. Both engine and trans were rebuilt recently, however there have been enough issues since to keep me from returning to that mechanic. The latest to surface is a leaky torque converter. It's probably always had an occasional drip but it is fairly consistent now. It leaks even when the car is not running.
I've removed the inspection plates and air duct to have a good look. If I wipe everything dry and come back next day, the fins are wet. The cover plate is always dry and the transmission is dry.
So it seems to me that the fluid must be leaking down the back of the torque converter and then dripping off the fins. And if that is the case, what is likely to be wrong? A seal of some sort I imagine.
I have not removed this before, so I guess I will need to pull the trans, bell housing, torque converter together and then remove the torque converter on the bench to replace the seal?

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Leaking Torque Converter By Kingfisher ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post thats right theres a seal you can get a macs and the t bird site to... By darrell ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post When you get it apart, check the fit of the converter hub in the front... By Hoosier Hurricane ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post good advise from hoosler,while you have trans out check the drive... By 2721955meteor ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post Can anyone point to the right parts/numbers for the seal and bush? And... By Kingfisher ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post may have to purchase a new front pump assembly. I would go that way as... By 2721955meteor ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post http://www.autotran.us/fmkits1.html By KULTULZ ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post EXCELENT INFO. By 2721955meteor ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post I got the trans and converter out today and the photos show the story... By Kingfisher ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post That stub on the converter is what rides on the front pump bushing and... By Hoosier Hurricane ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post Did you find the source of the leak or did you wipe it down? These... By KULTULZ ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post Unlike the large O ring which is soft and rubbery, the hub seal is... By Kingfisher ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post Have you checked to see if a redi-sleeve is available? Otherwise I'd... By Lord Gaga ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post Having dismantled things it would appear that the front pump bushing... By Kingfisher ( 3 Months Ago )
Forum Post Just an update folks. I replaced the converter cover seal, hub seal,... By Kingfisher ( Last Month )
Forum Post Good job! When I inherited my 55 Tbird, everything but the brakes... By 55blacktie ( Last Month )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter