Profile Picture

Leaking Torque Converter

Posted By Kingfisher 3 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Good job! When I inherited my 55 Tbird, everything but the brakes leaked. I hope that's not the case when it's put back together. 
Kingfisher
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Just an update folks.
I replaced the converter cover seal, hub seal, converter hub, front pump seal and front pump bushing. I'm reasonably convinced that the hub and bushing were at fault as they showed visible wear. Fatsco in NJ were great for all parts. It's all back together and not 1 drip to be seen.
Thank you all for the advice.
Kingfisher
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Having dismantled things it would appear that the front pump bushing and converter hub seal were 'old' and maybe at fault - somewhat disappointing after paying for a rebuild. So I've ordered those and a front pump seal and converter cover seal. I also dug deep and ordered a new converter hub. I'm not convinced that mine is particularly worn, but I don't want to pull it all out again. Now I just have to wait for the slow boat to Australia.
Thankyou all for your help. I'll let you know when it all works.
Cheers, Mark
Lord Gaga
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Have you checked to see if a redi-sleeve is available?  Otherwise I'd use some crocus cloth on it and hope for the best.

"FREE SAMPLE"
Kingfisher
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Unlike the large O ring which is soft and rubbery, the hub seal is reasonably hard. Unless they come that way it may have been a candidate for a leak.
I took a closer photo of the hub. The seal sits just above that shoulder I reckon. Should there even be a shoulder? Does the surface look ok? The seal looks good and feels good as I slide the hub on but I'll replace it anyway.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9daa5722-74e7-46f4-8455-2353.jpg
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Did you find the source of the leak or did you wipe it down?

These ILL's are from the MPC -

They will give you an idea of the assembly.

The 1st - MERC 1956/59 MPC -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/652dc645-a738-43ee-9fc0-5d98.png

The 2nd - FORD 1949/59 MPC -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/869dc036-b691-4b03-8cc7-3782.png

BASIC PART NUMBER -

7A103 - FRT PUMP ASSY
7A108 - CONVERTER STATOR SUPT
7A248 - FRT SEAL
7B258 - FRT PUMP BUSHING
7025 - FRT CASE BUSHING

Hope that simplifies it somewhat.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Last Week
That stub on the converter is what rides on the front pump bushing and the seal.  That hub that bolts into the converter is also sealed with a seal similar to an O ring but has a square cross section.  Unbolt the hub to see the seal.  Where the converter halves bolt together is also sealed with a square cross section "O ring"..  Any of these seals could cause a leak in the converter area.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Kingfisher
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

I got the trans and converter out today and the photos show the story maybe. The first photo is the seal - not much to see I guess, but it will need to be replaced.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c4d03f30-71da-42f7-9cf0-cac7.jpg
The second photo maybe shows the culprit. Is this the bushing that Hoosier mentions? I can't get excited about the rough finish and I reckon that lip is about where the seal sits. So I hope replacements are available.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/06f5b2dd-b70f-4463-b3ed-b333.jpg
2721955meteor
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

EXCELENT INFO.
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

http://www.autotran.us/fmkits1.html

Reading This Topic

Site Meter