Profile Picture

Camshaft question

Posted By 1946international Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Before I swap in my rebuilt 292 into my '30 Model A Tudor should I reconsider the camshaft that is in it? The car is a Model A with a '48 Ford banjo rear with 3.73 gears and 750X16 tires. The motor has stock style pistons 0.40 " oversize and "G" heads, offenhauser 3 two intake with three 94's. I'm a little concerned that the exhaust opens late compared to some other cams and just don't want to be disappointed once it is in the car.     

The camshaft in the rebuilt motor is a new Comp Cam unit with:
.471" Gross lift both intake & exhaust
at .050" lift intake opens at 4* BTDC closes at 40* ABDC
at .050" lift exhaust opens at 43* BBDC closes at 7* ATDC
Duration @ .050" intake, 224* exhaust 230*
lobe lift , .3140 both intake & exhaust
lobe separation 108*
Joe-JDC
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
My personal experience with a Comp Cams camshaft was that they ground it using the wrong angle for the lifter bore, and it would only work installed straight up, no advancing or retarding to make it work better.  Every cylinder was off when degreeing the camshaft, and I had to send it back to Comp.  I have not had any problems with Isky performance camshafts.  Just my experience, but I also do not like the Offenhauser 3x2 intake manifold for anything over stock performance camshafts.  Check out Ted's site for dyno tests on the different 3x2 intakes and carburetors.  I call it the "Awfulhauser" intake.  Joe-JDC

JDC
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

1946, just going by the numbers, your cam and induction system won't be the best combination, but you should be able to live with it. With a 108 LSA and more exhaust duration, I'm assuming you want people to know it's cammed while idling. hopefully, you don't have power brakes. Although the 3 x2s look impressive, a good intake and single 4-barrel will give better results and be easier to live with. 

Other than knowing my uncle blew a couple of rearends in his 51 Flatty, I don't know much about the 48 banjo. Being in a light car will help. Automatic/stick? Your tires will most likely spin, rather than hook up, which will help. Just my 2 cents. 
charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I would reconsider it because f the issues Joe states.  I think the specs should be ok.  It should sound good and perform well when the rest of the engine is matched to it.  It's hard to suggest a cam because what one person fines tolerable is intolerable to another and what one considers enough power is too little for another.

I would definitely reconsider the intake.  Links to mentioned articles:

https://www.eatonbalancing.com/2013/12/18/y-block-ford-3x2-intake-testing/
https://www.eatonbalancing.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/YBlock-146-Craine-3X2-Test.pdf

Lawrenceville, GA
1946international
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Yes, I read the info on this intake and know it is a poor performer, I knew it when I bought it but it came with the carbs and was just under $200, so that is what I have. I am however on the look out for a better intake. 
With all that said,  This is a cam that Ted recommends, you can see (if I loaded it correctly) that the Isky came opens the exhaust 10* sooner and the intake 4* sooner. This is my concern and I'm thinking about swapping it while the motor is still on the stand and I can roll it over.  
Attachments
1f56c13e-80f8-483a-8775-4ade.jpg (49 views, 42.00 KB)
cos
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
Hello 1946   If I read specs right, I just order that cam ( Teds  advice) for a 292 rebuild. I  have a  original EDB-D cam but wanted a more modern version. Was concerned with depth of oil grove in center journal . Call Isky back  and ask, (Nolan) said no problem same a depth as Fords stock cams. Ask if it could be cut a little deeper, said no they don't do this.  Guess when I get it will see. Not a big deal but a nuisance. I have had  in the pasted, had Oregon cams grind a EDB-D  cam, claim to have a original for pattern. Thinking center grove was deeper than stock.
Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)Supercharged (631 reputation)

Last Active: 59 seconds ago
Boy...not to hijack the post, but unless I am missing something, ISKY has about the worst website I've ever seen.  No mention of engine "family," no mention of displacements...
I put in 1959 Fairlane just to see what was available and it was showing me HYDRAULIC lifters...I can only guess that's for an early FE.  

Joe-JDC
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Check out Summit Racing, they have 3 listings for Howards Camshafts, and 4 for Isky for the 292/312 Ford Y Block.  However, the stock is very limited at this point with wait time for shipping some of the camshafts for January 2024.  Joe-JDC

JDC
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Ted Eaton (eatonbalancing.com) will tell you everything you want to know (and then some) about Isky Y-block cams and will recommend a grind for your application. Your choices aren't limited to off-the-shelf cams.
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
1946international (11/28/2023)
...With all that said,  This is a cam that Ted recommends, you can see (if I loaded it correctly) that the Isky came opens the exhaust 10* sooner and the intake 4* sooner. This is my concern and I'm thinking about swapping it while the motor is still on the stand and I can roll it over.

To accurately compare the camshafts, the advertised duration numbers are also required.  Looking at just the 0.050” values does not give an accurate picture of how the lifter is beginning its initial rise on the lobes and the decline off the lobes.  The advertised camshaft numbers are typically at 0.020” lifter rise for a solid lifter camshaft. The 0.020" values are used for dynamic compression ratio calculations as well as giving a snapshot of what the lobe ramps look like at the start and end of the lifter travel when comparing the 0.020” and the 0.050” values against each other.

As Joe mentions, there have been a number of quality issues with the Comp Cams grinds.  Top of the list are the lobes being ground on the wrong lifter bank angles and second on the list is the variability of the lobes in regard to the camshaft lobes being ground the same for all the cylinders.  When degreeing in the camshaft, always check both the intake and exhaust lobes on at least one cylinder on each bank to ensure that the camshaft is ground the same for both banks.  Cylinders 1 & 6 both share the same TDC on the degree wheel so it’s just a matter of moving the dial indicator to do that.  Any variability in those two cylinders will suggest that the camshaft was ground with the incorrect lifter bank angle.  If variability is found, then it may be necessary to check all sixteen lobes for verification of that.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter